What's new

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm waiting for a stand-alone motion picture featuring Squirrel Girl to top off the entire Marvel franchise.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpg

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/02/iron-man-3-marvel-phase-two/4/
“Guardians takes place within the continuity of the [other movies] but it’s on the other side of the universe,” Feige says. “We’ve always wanted to do a space movie. I’m obsessed with Star Wars, I’m obsessed with Star Trek.”
“It’s a huge story on a massive canvas,” Feige says. “We can take it to all those crazy places as long as all the characters respond in an emotionally truthful way. That’s why I believe people are going to respond to Chris Pratt and to an alien Zoë Saldana—because they did respond to that one time before [with Avatar]. And to a tree and a raccoon who, it is certainly our intention, will steal the whole movie.”
The interview, of course, confirms the casting of Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista as Gamora and Drax.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Normally love all things about Comic Movies, but not sure about this one. Just have a hard time with a Galaxian Hero Group featuring a raccoon. But I'm a big fan of Pratt, Close, and esp Rooker, so I might have to adjust my attitude. By the way, Rooker is a really strange bird, if his interview on The Walking Dead is any indication of his true self.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm getting a "FARSCAPE" vibe from this. Which is a very good thing. That was a fantastic Sci-Fi show with a human astronaut stranded in a distant part of the Galaxy. He hooked up with some escaped alien "fugitives", they traveled in a living ship, they were pursued by a military/police group (The Peace Keepers), and they were also hounded by a particularly nasty alien who was interested in the wormhole technology the human lead carried in his head. It was a visually stunning adventure filled with wild-looking aliens and lots of quirky alien critters. So I'm most excited about this movie because what I've read about it makes me think more of FARSCAPE than Star Wars. And when you combine a quirky space adventure with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there's lots of potential for coolness. It could be a colossal flop. But it could also be something really great. Just to summarize some the interesting aspects of the movie in relation to the MCU (and FARSCAPE influences):Basic premise: A U.S. pilot ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants. They travel in a sentient ship and are pursued by galactic police (Nova Corps). Lots of interesting and quirky aliens.
image.jpg
The movie should feature Thanos (who was behind the events of The Avengers), one of the biggest baddest villains in Marvel Comics.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I don't believe he'll be the main antagonist, but he should have a presence in the film. He'll also have a presence in Avengers 2, maybe as the main antagonist, but more likely still just a behind the scenes presence. The movie will feature the Nova Corps. They are kind of like the Marvel Universe's version of the Green Lantern Corps. Glen Close's role is a leader of the Nova Corps. It's been speculated that Lee Pace's role may be that of "Nova", kind of like Marvel's "Green Lantern"
image.jpg
That is still just speculation, but Nova Corps being in the movie is not. So either way, we are sure to eventually see Nova. Also, it's recently been rumored that Marvel is courting John C. Reilly for a role in this. It's rumored that he would be a member of Nova Corps that is a liaison to Earth and S.H.I.E.L.D/S.W.O.R.D.So when you take the FARSCAPE inspired elements, combine them with Thanos, the Nova Corps, and the building of the MCU's cosmic stage, and the growing cast:Chris PrattZoe SaldanaLee PaceMichael RookerDave BautistaGlen Closeand maybe John C. Reilly ...... I just can't help but be really intrigued by this project.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
TravisR said:
^ Yeah, the cast is the only thing that makes me interested in this movie.
Which is clearly a smart, calculated move on Marvel's part. They know this project is something that is quite "out there" and certain aspects on the surface can be real head scratchers for many ("A talking Racoon?! Whaaat?!"). So assembling a solid cast is a good way to get people to look a little more closely at it as opposed to being turned off by its quirks. As for Rocket Racoon, I definitely thought he was a really odd choice as a character to be featured in a big MCU movie. But then, thinking about it, I realized that its not like he's simply a "talking Racoon" like Brian Griffin (dog from Family Guy). He's an alien. An alien that looks like a Racoon. We've had all kinds of aliens that "look like familiar things", why not one that looks like a Racoon? And the FARSCAPE vibe (thinking of him as a Rygel type character) sells it even more. I'm not too worried about that character anymore.

John Doran

Screenwriter
if they can accurately transpose rocket's character from the comics, and his relationship with groot, then all will be well. more than well: it will be amazing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll repeat myself and say
TravisR said:
^ Yeah, the cast is the only thing that makes me interested in this movie.
EDIT: I don't know if I've been more interested in a Marvel movie than this one now. The cast should be really good and you'd think that they must have a pretty solid script to pull in talent like Glen Close, Benicio Del Toro and possibly John C. Reilly.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Space Adventure with a very interesting cast in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it certainly has my attention.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Jeff Cooper said:
I'm having visions of 'Dug' from 'Up' in this picture...
Funny you should say that. I've been reading some cosmic Marvel stuff recently, and there is actually a character called Cosmo that is an intelligent Russian telepathic space dog. Ha!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The Farscape vibe mentioned earlier rings true for me too. Like many I am not familiar with these characters but between bringing them to life and the universe they inhabit plus the cast this has to be a very expensive movie.

Still pondering Marvel's decision to branch out to use such a stable of unknown characters for their phase. This could be genius or the biggest flop in the making.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Lou Sytsma said:
Still pondering Marvel's decision to branch out to use such a stable of unknown characters for their phase. This could be genius or the biggest flop in the making.
I can never seem to get a straight answer about whether Thanos IS in the movie, because it was the only other canon he appeared in that they could use to get him into Avengers 2 (Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer were still owned by Fox), or whether he isn't, which pretty much makes the picture live or die on the heroes we've never heard of.

That, I could live with. I am, however, having fears about a multimillion-dollar Disney/Marvel movie being directed by Troma veteran James Gunn--whose last outing with well-known pop-culture characters was the moronically snide gag-bashing of the Scooby-Doo movies--or at least I don't trust him to handle "a somewhat tongue-in-cheek approach" to characters even most Marvel fans don't necessarily put on the top tier, for a movie that had to be made pretty much out of necessity than demand. The Scooby poison's still in the system.
(So how did he get the job? New trend: Superhero producers are now looking for new-blood directors, so they snatch up any director who had a superhero-themed movie on the indie circuit, right after they got the idea from the X-Men producers hiring the "Chronicle" guy. Giving the Scooby/Troma guy a big Phase 2 picture, based on the belief that "Super" was the only movie he'd ever directed, may have been tunnel-vision on Disney's part, but I'm not seeing the light at the end of it.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Slither was also a hell of a lot of fun. Anyway, they stated filming a couple of weeks ago. As a film like this will be mostly shot on sets don't think there will be many leaked photos. I think it's a safe bet that there will be some info, possibly confirming some of the roles various cast members are playing, released at the San Diego Comic Con next week. Chris Pratt has tweeted a photo of his training results. Definitely got himself into great shape for this role.
image.jpg

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I thought they were planning on putting out the Justice League to compete with the success of the Avengers? All the same, it looks like they are on the right track when it comes to casting. I am guessing they couldn't get Christian Bale to sign on as Batman for the Justice League? Does this mean they are scrapping the project?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks