What's new

Marvel's Ant-Man: July 17, 2015 (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The logic of the shrinking makes sense to me, but if they ever dive into the flip side of the Pym Particles with Giant Man and the like, it starts to get much dicier.

In my mind, the Pym Particles work like the bottle and cake from Alice in Wonderland, and that's as far I let myself think about it.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I'm pretty sure in the movie they explained the shrinking as reducing the empty space between atoms (which would allow for a "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" crossover).

However, if the shrinking worked this way, there's no way you could ever become smaller than a single atom, and then keep shrinking infinitely.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Quantum mechanics don't work like the "real world". I took the Quantum Realm construct to mean that once you shrunk down to a certain point and crossed that boundary, physics as we know them didn't apply any longer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I worry less about "why", as it's pure fantasy essentially, and whether it creates a consistent and interesting set of "rules" to play with.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was little terse there :) posting from my phone.

The notion of shrinking the space between the atoms made sense, to a point. Except then it involved shrinking to sub-atomic levels. Which was self-contradictory. I don't made that fantastical aspect of the story, but it would have been a nice if the science-y explanation fit with that.

The business of maintaining mass while shrunken, and thus being denser, was also fun. But, as with superhero physics, seemed wholly ignored except when useful. I'd expected Antman to have left small craters everywhere he ran. And to have broken through most furniture he jumped onto.

But whatever. That didn't detract from the fun.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep, when you get right down to it most superhero "science" doesn't even begin to hold water. And that's OK. It's good to remind ourselves occasionally that these films are based on comic books. ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
dpippel said:
Yep, when you get right down to it most superhero "science" doesn't even begin to hold water. And that's OK. It's good to remind ourselves occasionally that these films are based on comic books. ;)

Very true. Let's remember the origins of the format, which grew out of comic strips in the newspaper and then into their own magazine of comic strips for a dime. They've become more sophisticated since then, of course, but they came from the funny pages. And that's a good thing.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
There is an interesting book by physicist Laurence Krauss called "The Science of Superheroes" that explores this very topic in quite a lot of detail. A fascinating, and often amusing, bit of reading. He doesn't rule out a character's superpower due to simple plausibility, but rather tests each one to estimate what would be entailed in actually accomplishing the power in question. THEN he rules them out, though not as many as you would expect. F=MA turns out to be quite a wet blanket.

This book was a follow-up to my personal favorite, "The Science of Star Trek."

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
ant-man-and-the-wasp-profile.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Love that title. It plays into the pulpy fun of the first film. Hopefully they're able to get Michael Douglas back as Hank Pym. The interplay between those core three characters was at the heart of the film.

On the fence about whether I want Michael Peña and Tip "T.I." Harris back for the sequel. On one hand, they stole most of the moments they were in and provided a lot of the best laughs. On the other hand, you don't want to see their characters devolve into schtick, where they're trotted out to provide a little comic relief regardless of how organic it is to the rest of the film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Great news about "Ant-Man and the Wasp"!

It's also good news that Black Panther has moved up 5 months to February 2018. That way his solo movie will be out before Infinity War Part One. Plus, I'm happy to see more "big" movies continuing to come out in February and March.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Good developments, all around (although that delay of Captain Marvel stings a bit). Glad to see Marvel found a way to give Ant-Man a proper sequel. Here's hoping they get the whole team back (Peyton Reed, Rudd, Lilly, Douglas).

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Other than a title and a release date, and unless I missed an off-handed comment by an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. during a car chase or something, I'm not seeing any groundwork being laid for Captain Marvel so far. Maybe this delay will give them time to work things into the Marvelverse and give us something special.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Hope explains that, "When you're small, you have superhuman strength. You're like a bullet so you need to learn how to punch." So why would Ant-Man carry shrink weapons to toss at enemies, like Darren Cross? Wouldn't that just make the enemy even deadlier and harder to kill? Particularly one already protected by a suit so he won't suffocate?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hope explains that, "When you're small, you have superhuman strength. You're like a bullet so you need to learn how to punch." So why would Ant-Man carry shrink weapons to toss at enemies, like Darren Cross? Wouldn't that just make the enemy even deadlier and harder to kill? Particularly one already protected by a suit so he won't suffocate?

The use of discs (shrinking and enlarging) were never really supposed to be used for other people. That would damage them. They are for tactical advantages to manipulate environmental objects.

Lang only use it on Cross specifically because it wouldn't damage him (since he's wearing a suit) and in the moment he hoped to gain a tactical advantage: Make him big when he wants to be small. Make him small when he wants to be big. But he doesn't carry these to toss at enemies, they are for objects.

Cross could already shrink and gain the relative strength associated with that, so all Lang was doing when using them on Cross was messing with his timing and relative position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks