What's new

MARVEL is bringing four new live-action shows to Netflix leading to a "Defenders event" (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Deadline: Krysten Ritter Nabs Title Role In Marvel’s Jessica JonesThis casting ups my interest considerably. I've enjoyed her work in everything I've seen her in, where she's demonstrated surprising range. And she's the kind of big screen-level talent you need to anchor a show like this. It reportedly came down to her and Teresa Palmer, who would have been my second choice of the five under consideration.Mike Colter (currently doing incredible work as Chicago's top drug kingpin on "The Good Wife") is currently the frontrunner to play Luke Cage.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
She's a cutie, and she gave a great performance in Breaking Bad. I've never read anything with the character, but the basic premise described here sounds interesting:
Jessica Jones is a superhero suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, which leads to her hanging up her costume and opening her own detective agency, where she ends up helping people and assisting other superheroes.
image.jpg

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Sean Bryan said:
I've never read anything with the character, but the basic premise described here sounds interesting:
Really? That's surprising. She often appears in the large-scale Marvel events whenever the story shifts to the street-level heroes. I would have thought you read Civil War, at the very least, as you seem to be a fellow comic fan :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Josh Dial said:
Really? That's surprising. She often appears in the large-scale Marvel events whenever the story shifts to the street-level heroes. I would have thought you read Civil War, at the very least, as you seem to be a fellow comic fan :)
Yes, I'm definitely a comics fan, but I used to read mostly X-Men titles. Aside from the bigger "event" stories, I never really read many Avengers related books and just have "expanded" knowledge about their comics stories from animated stuff and reading online plot line summaries in more recent years. I have recently been trying to do more actual comic book reading, so I hope to remedy that. I haven't read Civil War. I've had interest, but I've heard lots of negative things from many fans about the way it was handled with characters doing things that were quite out of character just to serve the story (like Stark being more of a straight up villan than just the other side of the argument). So my motivation hasn't been strong to make the effort. But I suppose I should still read it to make up my own mind.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
TravisR said:
Yeah and she also did good work as the quirky friend in Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars so she can play drama and comedy.
Yeah, that's right. I forgot she was in Veronica Mars. Funny, because the concept of this show sounds a little like a super powered Veronica Mars.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Sean Bryan said:
I haven't read Civil War. I've had interest, but I've heard lots of negative things from many fans about the way it was handled with characters doing things that were quite out of character just to serve the story (like Stark being more of a straight up villan than just the other side of the argument). So my motivation hasn't been strong to make the effort.But I suppose I should still read it to make up my own mind.
It seems an individual's opinion of Civil War is connected with how that person considers Joe Quesada. People that think he rescued Marvel from the mediocrity and a slavish adherence to tradition tend to like Civil War, while people who think he's the devil strongly dislike Civil War. I'm in the former camp.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Official confirmation on Ritter's casting from Marvel:
Krysten Ritter to Star in Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica JonesThe 'Breaking Bad' actress to headline Marvel's second 13-episode series for Netflix!Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that Krysten Ritter will star in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."Ritter will play Jessica Jones, first introduced in writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Michael Gaydos' classic ALIAS comic series. After a tragic ending to her short-lived Super Hero stint, Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City."Krysten brings both the hard edge and the vulnerability the role demands," said Executive Producer/Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg. "We can't wait for fans to see her in action, coming to Netflix in 2015.""Krysten Ritter has the type of range, spanning the comic to the tragic, that makes for the stuff of the best Marvel heroes," said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer/Marvel's Head of Television. "As Jessica Jones, Krysten will bring one of the most beloved new characters of the past decade to life in a way we know will delight her longtime fans and introduce her to many more."Best known for her roles in "Breaking Bad," "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23," and "Veronica Mars," she will next star alongside Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, and Jason Schwartzman in Director Tim Burton's "Big Eyes" this Holiday season."Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.For more information on "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," and the other exciting new Marvel Television series coming to Netflix, stay tuned to Marvel.com.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Official confirmation on Mike Colter's casting from Marvel:
Mike Colter to Star as Luke Cage in Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones
Colter joins Krysten Ritter on the Netflix series in 2015!

Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that Mike Colter will star as Luke Cage in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."

During the course of an investigation in New York City, private investigator Jessica Jones encounters the enigmatic Luke Cage – a man whose past has secrets that will dramatically alter Jessica in ways she could never have imagined.

Mike Colter to play Luke Cage, photo credit Kim Nicholais.
Colter will star opposite Krysten Ritter, who plays the title role in “Marvel’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones.”

“Mike embodies the strength, edge and depth of Luke Cage,” said Executive Producer/Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg. “We're excited to have him bring this iconic Marvel character to life.”

"Fans have longed to see Luke Cage and in Mike we’ve found the perfect actor,” said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer/Marvel's Head of Television. "Viewers will get to meet Luke Cage in ‘Marvel’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones,’ and experience why he is such an important super hero in the Marvel mythos.”

Colter is currently starring in the XBox original series “Halo: Nightfall” as Jameson Locke. He has appeared in a number of critically-acclaimed television series, including “The Good Wife” and “American Horror Story: Coven.”

Luke Cage Comic Book Art
After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

"Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.

For more information on "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," and the other exciting new Marvel Television series coming to Netflix, stay tuned to Marvel.com.More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/tv/23866/mike_colter_to_star_as_luke_cage_in_marvels_aka_jessica_jones#ixzz3MfvRdTci

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so stupid question time, how long does it average between premier on Netflix since you can pretty much stream all the episode all on that on day till a release on Blu do you think Daredevil is going to take?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
dana martin said:
ok so stupid question time, how long does it average between premier on Netflix since you can pretty much stream all the episode all on that on day till a release on Blu do you think Daredevil is going to take?
It varies. It takes 3 or 4 (?) months for House Of Cards to get a home video release, it took about 8 months for Star Wars: The Clone Wars and it took years for Arrested Development. Since Disney owns Star Wars and Marvel, I'd guess a time frame close to how long it took The Clone Wars to come out but that's purely a guess.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the reason for asking is a timeline I saw on another site, and what is happening in AOU which takes place in part of NY, if it will have any bearing on this show.

this timeline shows how busy Marvel has been

Jan-Agent Carter

March-Agents of Shield( Inhumans)

April-Daredevil

May-Avengers:Age of Ultron

July-Ant Man

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
daredevil.png

and picking up speed

A.K.A. Jessica Jones: Working as a private investigator in New York's Hell's Kitchen, a troubled ex-superhero's past comes back to haunt her in the live-action series, "Marvel’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones." Coming 2015

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Also, with the rush for Phase 2/3 and Netflix, there's becoming a better industry in YouTube videos to explain backstories:

Ie., for those asking, "Why 'A.k.a.'?":

(So, sounds like the show will be a combination of both "Alias"'es.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Great news about David Tennant!

I'm only familiar with the Purple Man from the Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series, but I understand that he is a pretty twisted character being able to bend people to his will.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Carrie-Anne Moss Joins Marvel’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones

She'll play "a no-nonsense woman who could prove a powerful ally to Jessica...if Jessica doesn’t completely alienate her first."

There's speculation that she's playing a late career Jessica Drew (aka Spider-Woman), but other sources indicate that it'll be a new character invented for the show.

If nothing else, this show is going to have a terrific cast. Hopefully Melissa Rosenberg's writing rises to the occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks