What's new

Marvel’s Agent Carter (ABC) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
James D'Arcy has been cast as "Howard Stark's butler".
image.jpg
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/james-darcy-hayley-atwell-marvels-agent-carter-1201306951/There's a good possibility that this character will be Edwin Jarvis, after whom Tony modeled his AI, JARVIS. But that's just speculation. Also, the picture below is from the season premier of Agents of SHIELD, but I'm hoping we get more of the Howling Commandos in Agent Carter too.
image.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if D'Arcy's character will play a similar role to Higgins on "Magnum, P.I.", carrying out his employer's directives, with only the occasional appearances by Howard Stark himself (a la Orson Welles as the voice of Robin Masters).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
I wonder if D'Arcy's character will play a similar role to Higgins on "Magnum, P.I.", carrying out his employer's directives, with only the occasional appearances by Howard Stark himself (a la Orson Welles as the voice of Robin Masters).
Interesting possibility. And Marvel has now confirmed that the character is Edwin Jarvis.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Marvel confirms Dominic Cooper will return as Howard Stark in "Agent Carter"

As much fun as "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is, it's a cast of television actors (Samuel L. Jackson's handful of brief appearances aside) with television production talent. Marvel's big screen talent appears to be far more heavily involved in "Agent Carter": Captain America screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely wrote the pilot and are executive producing. Marvel movie producer Louis D'Esposito, Winter Soldier directors Anthony and Joe Russo are directing, along with possible First Avenger director Joe Johnston. The cast they're putting together for "Agent Carter" is anchored by big screen leading lady Hayley Atwell and now movie star Dominic Cooper is back.

And the television talent is generally higher shelf as well: showrunners Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas did a great job with the low-budget "Reaper" and have a hit for ABC already with "Resurrection." Enver Gjokaj was phenomenal on "Dollhouse", Shea Whigham is HBO talent and James D'Arcy always brings an interesting texture to his characters. That leaves only Chad Michael Murray as pretty boy casting.

EDIT:
Den of Geek has a good interview from earlier this month with a lot of the players involved with the show.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, it's great that Cooper's involvement has been confirmed. I agree that with the writting/directing/acting talent involved its hard not to be anticipating something special with this one.
image.jpg
Fondue for everyone!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Really good, in-depth interview with "Agent Carter" showrunners Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters on the Nerdist Writers Panel podcast.The 50 minutes cover their whole career, but a good chunk is spent on "Agent Carter", with some really good practical discussion how how they're putting the show together.Particularly interesting for me was their discussion of Chad Michael Murray, the casting I was most dubious about. He got the role because when they the director of the audition gave him notes, they could see the adjustments in his performance, and that wasn't true of a lot of the other actors they'd seen.They also have a lot of praise for Captain America screenwriters Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely, who wrote the pilot and are executive producers on the show. It sounds like in addition to writing the pilot, Markus & McFeely plotted many of the major developments over the course of the season, and also spend quite a bit of time in the writers room.Then Fazekas and Butters integrated the pieces they'd inherited with their own ideas and mapped them out to the eight episodes. The writers room as a whole then fleshed them out into full episodes, which were presented to Marvel, which then suggested ways of integrating those stories into their existing intellectual property.Like Markus & McFeely, Fazekas and Butters confirmed that this will be one story told in eight parts, with no villain of the week episodes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Marvel's Agent Carter" Rounds Out Cast With Lyndsy FonsecaFonseca ("How I Met Your Mother", "Nikita", Kick-Ass) fills the previously announced role of Angie Martinelli, an automat waitress and aspiring actress. Angie is being used by the show as a way to present another example of what an independent woman would have looked like in 1946 America. Like the Francie character on "Alias", she is Peggy’s anchor to the world away from the Strategic Scientific Reserve.The complete cast credits for "Marvel's Agent Carter" are as follows:Starring Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter, Chad Michael Murray as SSR Agent Jack Thompson, Enver Gjokaj as SSR Agent Daniel Sousa, James D'Arcy as Edwin Jarvis, with Lyndsy Fonseca as Angie Martinelli and Shea Whigham as SSR Chief Roger Dooley.The production credits for "Marvel's Agent Carter" are as follows:"Marvel's Agent Carter" was written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. Executive producers are Tara Butters, Michele Fazekas, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely, Chris Dingess, Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, Alan Fine, Joe Quesada, Stan Lee and Jeph Loeb. "Marvel's Agent Carter" is produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Television.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like what I see so far. The one-shot was my favorite of the Marvel shorts.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw a blurb in the new issue of EW which says Agent Carter "is Alias in 1946." The show sounds very promising to me, and hope it becomes an annual thing.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Adam Lenhardt said:
First TV spot:
Although the latest TV ads are trying to narrow down the demographic a little more:"In the tradition of Emily Thorne (Revenge) and Olivia Pope (Scandal), the latest to join ABC's lineup of strong women!"

Ohh, those male Marvel fans are going to be all over this show like ants on a sugar cube. :rolleyes:
Way to burn your bridges, ABC, further alienate the Y-chromosomed network TV watcher in pursuit of a money-demo, and evaporate all that hard-earned goodwill the last half of SHIELD's season struggled to restore after Skye drove off the movie fans...Can you say "WB's Birds of Prey"?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ejanss said:
Ohh, those male Marvel fans are going to be all over this show like ants on a sugar cube. :rolleyes:Way to burn your bridges, ABC, further alienate the Y-chromosomed network TV watcher in pursuit of a money-demo, and evaporate all that hard-earned goodwill the last half of SHIELD's season struggled to restore after Skye drove off the movie fans...Can you say "WB's Birds of Prey"?
This Marvel fan certainly will be.And if you think advertising/showing strong women on television alienates you as a male, then I think the issue is you.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If Agent Carter does well in this limited series, it wouldn't surprise me for it to replace Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the timeslot come fall, or, at the very least, be the 8 p.m. lead-in for Agents in September..

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I hope they don't expand it to the full 22 if it does go to additional seasons. It would suck the life out of it and turn it into another procedural.I like the idea of one basically eight hour movie each year, with no filler.Season One: 1946Season Two: 1947etc. right up to the founding of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the early fifties.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm curious about how much, if at all, they will focus on the Hydra infiltration as SHIELD is founded. The timeframe of the show is still pre-SHIELD, so they may not do much with that. But my take was that the existing SSR eventually becomes SHIELD, so there should be the opportunity to use that storyline if they want. I also wonder if Toby Jones (Dr. Zola) will make an appearance? If not this season, perhaps in a subsequent season if the show is successful?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks