What's new

Martin & Lewis: Volume I June 13 (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

That's bad news if it's really cancelled as opposed to postponed.

Do any of our Lewis experts (Bob Furmanek?) know if there are rights issues with any of these titles (either music or story)? Lewis himself was promoting these DVDs on various TV appearances over the last year.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
You are right Ron, I don't like this! What the heck could the problem be with a Martin/Lewis release?

Gary "geesh - that news really depressed me" O.

Charles H

Screenwriter
My suspicion is that they will release the titles individually and then release the collection a year later as they did with the first JL collection.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
While I'm disappointed, I'm not surprised. There are some pretty major acquisitions going down at Paramount... I wouldn't set anything in stone there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
When I talked with one of our friends at Paramount two years
ago (when the first Lewis releases were being prepared), I was
told that Jerry was being quite cooperative with the DVDs.

Perhaps the problem lies with the Dean Martin estate?

This is sad news. This is a huge release for Paramount and the
fanbase. From the notice posted on the Movies Unlimited catalog,
it looks to me like these are CANCELED and not due for individual
re-release.

....but then again, I'm not in the know.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
There does seem to be something going on at Paramount. They recently dropped the company that sent me my screeners, so it seems I'm back to a more direct line with the studio itself. When I questioned them about the Wayne titles, all I got back was they were delayed (same with their HD-DVD titles). I got no response about the M/L set when I emailed them last week, but Ron has now answered our questions.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
It appears that Paramount has a new corporate strategy for the DVD market. Don't release any films on DVD. They give out razzies for bad movies and I think Paramount deserves a razzie for being the worst studio for dvd releases.
If Paramount can't market its properties properly then they should bring in someone that can. How these people keep their jobs is beyond me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I picked up three of the Batjac titles this weekend: Plunder Of The Sun, Track Of The Cat and Man In The Vault so I assume they'll appear on their announced street date.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Paramount apparently has realized that those old, unhip "catalog" films won't be as profitable as releasing [insert 1980's comedy here] again for the tenth time as a "Gimmicky, crappy name" edition

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Maybe they're still trying to locate the long-lost 3 track stereo audio for Scared Stiff, The Caddy and Money from Home...

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Seems to me that Paramount is more deserving of the "Worst DVD company" award more than the much-loathedUniversal or Sony

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Well, better late than never!

I got mine last week, and just got done playing all of them - well almost.
'Scared Stiff' freezes up at just over 5 minutes into the movie, and 'The Caddy' - which is on the same disk, freezes up on starting and then skips to 7:30.

I haven't tried any other players yet, but I have a bad feeling that it will have to go back. Crap!

Glenn

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
What a shame! Sounds like the same troubles that plagued Universal all over again.

How is the quality of the pictures, otherwise?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Outside of that disk, the others are just fine. I wasn't looking for defects, but I didn't see any either. These are all single-sided disks. I guess I just got a bum one.

Outside of Universal's older DVD's that flaked out, I haven't had any at all that were this screwed up, and I'm way over 1200 disks now. Anybody got a link for returns for them?

Glenn

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
OAR enthusiasts should note that beginning with LIVING IT UP in 1954, all of the Martin and Lewis films were photographed and presented theatrically in 1.85.

Let's hope that Paramount presents them in their correct aspect ratio.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Yeah I hope they don't botch up the Aspect Ratio on these like Universal has been doing with their 50's output recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks