What's new

Marlene Dietrich, Mae West, Carole Lombard DVD sets on April 4th (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched any of the Lombard collection movies all the way through yet, but after seeing Barrie's review, I checked that specific part of the title he had problems with, Love Before Breakfast. It seemed to play OK on my system. As I think was the case with some of these sets before, it looks like these collections might be problematic on some brands of DVD players, but not all.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Not exactly true. I haven't had any problems with some of the sets that others have, but then again I've had freezing and pixelation problems with other sets that I haven't heard a peep about. It's hit and miss, so I know that any Universal set I buy has to be previewed all the way through within the "okay to exchange" time frame. I've been lucky thus far with only having to replace them once.

It's irritating as hell but I want the Lombard, Abbott & Costello, Deanna Durbin, Road movies and these Universal sets are the only way I can get them. SO what are you gonna do?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i saw Barries review and it definitely scared me off from adding this to a recent Amazon order. a shame as it's at a good price- but i just don't have the extra time to watch-scratch that-vette all five movies for any problems.
i know there is a PC program out there to scan and identify bad discs, but i got a mac and no dvd drive. inconvienent? only when Studios consistently manufactuer faulty product, as Universal does.

i really hope they get their shit together for the Cecil B Demille set

JohnPM

Second Unit
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but won't the new HD-DVD's, with their increased storage capacity, take care of this problem? Won't they be able to safely put mutiple features on a single disc without any loss in quality? If that is indeed the case, it will be wonderful ...

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
LOVE BEFORE BREAKFAST played fine on my set.

But WE'RE NOT DRESSING I had major issues with (and my DVD player is very good). Same problems on two players.

The menu screen of the film came on fine, but when I went to hit the play button, it whirred and whirred and did nothing until the DVD player eventually shut off. I was finally able to go into the Scenes menu, and from the third chapter on (11:30 into the film or so) it played fine. But that opening section wouldn't play.

Don't know whether I should exchange it (meaning an hour of driving), and get one of the ones with a faulty LOVE BEFORE BREAKFAST or just live with it.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Whatever you do, don't just accept it. Universal needs to answer for their continued poor quality control. Personally, I have not purchased a DVD-18 title from them in nearly two year, and it's absolutley painful, but the attitude of "Oh Well, I'll just accept it" is exactly why nothing has been done.:frowning:

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
love before breakfast-picture freezes at chapter 17
the princess comes across-freezes at the 1 hour 8 min mark,the picture breaks up completly unwatchable,cannot watch the last 6 minutes.this is the first time this has happened with any of the universal boxsets i have.I have two toshiba players, different models,but doing the same thing on both.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I agree Eric and that it why I no longer buy double sided Universal product. For the low $17 and change price tag that Costco had on these sets it was very tempting, but why buy faulty product when Warners and Fox satisfies my need for classic film so well?

And yes, it is painful. I wanted that Hitchcock season 1 set very badly, but the reports of all the problems confirmed my decision to stay away from it.

Steve

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It seems that it depends on what players you have whether these Universal sets freeze or play.

Love Before Breakfast played fine on my old Pioneer DV 343 and We're Not Dressing didn't have a problem either.

The first season set of Murder She Wrote, however, had to be replaced FOUR times before I got a decent playable set. The second season set has one episode that freezes but clicking it forward about 5 seconds and it plays again. Thrid season played just fine.

The Hitchcock Season 1 only froze on one episode but again scanning it forward about 3 or 4 seconds and it plays again.

I haven't watched the Dietrich set yet.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'm glad I took a pass on these. I've had more than enough problems with Universal dvd-18's, and was far too gun-shy to give any of these 'Glamour' sets a try. Although, to be perfectly honest, the final determining factor that prevented me from taking the plunge on these was the atrocious cover art. I really, really HATED them. Surely the only time that has ever actually derailed a purchase for me.

It's a shame, because I would have liked especially to get those Carole Lombard films, which consisted of several old favorites.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
My copy of the Lombard froze up right after the initial Ethel Merman musical number on "We're Not Dressing".

I got a replacement from Amazon and it does not freeze there.

We'll see if I have any further problems.

I don't know why a flipper would have more defective issues than the standard single-sided CD.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
By the way, I can't believe that a fan of classic movies would not buy a particular title simply because he doesn't like the cover art!

Unbelivable.

I cheerfully bought both "The More The Merrier" and "Twentieth Century" knowing full well that Sony does not remaster their classic films very well.

I wanted the M O V I E and until a better one comes along, I wouldn't let medicore quality or lousy cover art stop me from having 'em.

Of course, I reserve the right to bitch about the quality, but self-denial has never had any pleasure for me.....

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I guess we all agree that besides Sony's lousy Columbia Studios releasing program, the Universal controlled Paramount years are the most under-released and realized of all the major studio's classic movie reissue programs. Paramount is chock-full of great movies that would sell like hotcakes.

If Warner Bros can do it, what's Universal's problem? Especially since Universal has their financial difficulities....why wouldn't they make some dough with the material they already own outright?

I'm one of those people who actually prefer the recent Universal Glamour series' packaging and concept....5 or 6 movies in realeasable condition at a really good price. The only issue I have with their flipper is the quality control issue. So far, I've had to return the Carole Lombard issue because of a defective disc 1, side 1.

I would MUCH rather have a releasable condition title issued in a low-priced package without extras than what's Columbia has been doing; releasing a single title at $20.00 with the film in mediocre condition and no extras. Putting together low-priced packages is a much more honest method...in my opinion.

Of course, I'd like all titles I want to be carefully remastered with a completely perfectly fixed-up print (like, say, "Citizen Kane"), but you KNOW that won't happen.

What would I like to see Universal release from this Paramount period?

Gee...the list is endless:

THREE CORNER MOON - early screwball comedy with Claudete Colbert
MIDNIGHT - one of the greatest all-time comedies with Colbert
A FOREIGN AFFAIR - Billy Wilder's great, snotty post-war comedy with Dietrich and Jean Arthur
MILLION DOLLAR LEGS - One of the funniest 1930's comedies with W.C. Fields and Lyda Roberti
EASY LIVING - A Preston Sturges written comedy with Ray Milland, Jean Arthur and Edward Arnold
IF I HAD A MILLION - A great 1932 episode film starrring Gary Cooper, Jackie Oakie, George Raft, W.C. Fields, Charles Laughton and Mae Robson....among many others
MURDER AT THE VANITIES - wild murder mystery-comedy taking place behind the scenes of a Broadway show, starring Kitty Carlisle, Carl Brisson (yikes!), Victor McLaglen and Duke Ellington's Orchestra, and a musical number of nearly naked ladies dressed up to be huge perfume bottles!
RUGGLES OF RED GAP - great comedy with Charles Laughton
BIG BROADCAST OF 1932 - great comedy with Bing Crosby, Boswell Sisters, Burns & Allen, and Cab Calloway

Boy....and that's just off the top of my head.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, like I said, it was the FIRST time I didn't get something due to cover art. I guess what bugged me is that I really like old-style "glamour" art, in the vein of Vargas, Petty, Matt Baker comics and all those Earl Christy "Photoplay" covers. The cover art here strikes me as tacky, in a sort of modern-era, 'gay' way. It was a big turn-off. But, okay, if MCA delves further into their Paramont library, I promise I'll try my best to overlook it. I really will. I'll be the first person in the door at my Best Buy, cash in hand, ready to buy future "glamour" sets devoted to Gertrude Michael, Gail Patrick, and Eleanore Whitney. I swear I will, as a devoted fan of olde-time Paramount fare. If I falter, may my spirit be haunted throughout eternity by Lynne Overman's cackle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks