What's new

Marlene Dietrich, Mae West, Carole Lombard DVD sets on April 4th (2 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Funny that you should mention that, last year or so we get a set from WB, now Sony is releasing a box set, some that had been released before, but i can get them all in one set, i agree that might be the route that they go with this.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
What's wrong with this image on the menu screen for Hands Across the Table? It sure looks like Lombard with Clark Gable.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59938

Nothing wrong with that except that Gable and Lombard starred together, once, in 1932's No Man of Her Own. Fred MacMurray is Lombard's co-star in Hands Across the Table. Nice going, Universal.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thanks Jon,

I dunno, maybe just take the bottom part of the poster off and post the menu items there would be one way to fix it correctly. I wonder how far along they are in the pressing process, i doubt we will see this corrected, but then WB has one of the funniest art department flubs for the classic movie lover, if you own Horror of Dracula on the back is a picture of Stephanie Beacham, who was in Dracula A.D. 72 i have always found that odd that made it past.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I did notice that the Menu for Hands across the table had indeed a picture from No Man of Her Own. Maybe this is a sign that Universal plans to release this title in the near future.
Just hope so.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Well concerning The Women, I watched it not long ago on TCM and they said that Cukor went to great lengths to make sure that there was nothing but FEMALE characters on the screen from the actors, to the animals, to even painting and other artwork. BUT... in one scene when they are looking at a magazine reading an article, there is in plain view a Luck Strike cigarette advertisement in plain sight with a MAN ! Must have overlooked that in continuity!

Eric

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
? are we just paying to attention to close, i know that if i catch a good flub, that no one else in the house does,i keep it to myself as a little joke for a while.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Oh Man, just saw the art work and really unsure how i feel about it at this moment, is that a frost slipcase with the color markings, i find it odd to have the Franchise collection listed at the top and "Glamor Collection" emblazoned with there names. I truly love the color silhouettes on Lombard and Dietrich, as matter of fact that is all they should have used, but i don't think it works as well on the Mae West set, part of me wants to like this; and another says, look they gave an idiot a crayon.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
What gives with Lombard? Why did they choose to give her photo backgrounds for the menus and abstracts for the other two sets? Personally I think they are ugly and a bit disappointed that the Mae West collection didn't include at least two more of her movies that were on DVD previously and/or VHS. I know many years ago there was a Mae West VHS collection that was out about the same time as the first Marilyn Monore VHS collection (back in the 1980s).

Also on the Lombard cover artwaok now up, isn't that still Gable with her?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
B000E6ESX0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

somehow that one doesn't fit
personally think something like thiswould have worked better what i find disapointing is i know that it is dvd 18, and well the thread that talks about bad dvdartwork, the question is why is Universal so opposed to using the poster artwork on so many of its releases, the collage on the hitchcock box works, but here i dont think it would. Had to bounce back to DVDactive to compare with the Menu screens, i belive that is the menu of love before breakfast that they used

I'm a big fan of the late Mae West, and so it is the boxset of her movies which is of particular interest, although given a bottomless wallet I would like to buy all the sets!

What a very great pity that Warner Bros doesn't own the rights to these movies as they would make a superb job of both the remastering of these classic movies and of the extras in each boxset. Such is the magnitude of each of these stars that each Hollywood Diva's boxset compilation deserves extras including a documentary about their lives/career and trailers for each and every movie!!

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
From Barrie Maxwell's review of Universal's Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection (six films on two DVD-18s) in his latest column at the Digital Bits:

(emphasis added)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It sounds like I was wise to not put this on my shopping list.:frowning:

Universal depresses me so!:frowning:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I haven't had an issue with any of the other sets I own so hopefully that'll be the case here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks