What's new

Mario 128-Still no news (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I was looking through release dates this morning, and realized that there really hasn't been any word on the new "mario 128" game that was confirmed...I think it was over a year and a half ago now. At that point, it was being kept quiet because of a new gameplay mechanic that Nintendo was worried would be stolen and copied.

Now that I think about it though (and search IGN) there hasn't really been any mention of this game since. This tells me that either the game became Paper Mario 2, or there's still something in development that'll come out next year sometime. I suppose that with a new Zelda out next year as well, they could be saving a new Mario for a big final push for the GCN?

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I feel your pain. I am going through Mario withdrawel. Sunshine was fun, but too short and too easy.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
IGN has mentioned it a little, I think the underground speculation at this point is that it's gonna be pushed to Revolution rather then being a GCN release, although I'd also love that and the new Zelda to send the Cube out with one hell of a bang.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Zelda was the HUGE surprise at this years E3, maybe Mario will be next years. :)

However, I am in the camp that it will be a launch title with the new hardware....which I think will sell a lot for the Big N if it is.

-Dean-

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Was it Doug? Didn't know that. I know Eternal Darkness was pushed back to GC from the N64, but I didn't know SUnshine was originally slated for the older box. That's kind of surprising too, cause the N64 would have had its hands full trying to pull off the water effects that are essential for Sunshine.

As for 128, I think part of the launch approach is trying to have a truly killer launch app for the Revolution, which the Cube lacked. The closest it came was Smash Bros. and Pikmin, both excellent games, but also a month late. When Luigi's Mansion is your best launch title, you're in trouble.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Chris, lest you forget, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II launched the same day as the Cube. For many people, myself included, that was a huge reason to own a GameCube when it first came out. And it was an excellent game to boot.

While we're on the subject, Super Smash Bros. and Pikmin both came out on December 3, 2001, only about 2 weeks after the launch of the Cube, not a month like you say in your post.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I kind of wondered whether they'd push this game back to the next generation. It would probably make sense to have a killer app ready for their next generation, but at the same time, going out next year with a bang would be great as well (with the Zelda/Mario 1-2), and would probably push out a bunch more gamecube hardware.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
My bad Jeffrey, I completely blanked on Rogue Leader, and I thought the GC came out earlier in November then it did. My mistake.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Pikmin and Super Smash Bros. came out about 2 weeks after the American launch, but they came out 2 months after the Japanese launch if you want to split hairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks