What's new

March of The Wooden Soldiers (Laurel & Hardy) Blu-ray up for preorder $12.95 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brandon,

Sad to hear. So, for the 3D, I am going to be forced to watch the colorized version. Sad.

Still, I am a sucker for anything 3D, so hence the purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

boppa99

Auditioning
Real Name
simon
"Avatar is not a real 3D movie,the movies they made in the 50s,60s,70s,80s,had pop out effects,giving you much better affects,they don"t seem use much of it in todays modern films,thats why Iam asking about this title .

I also don"t have a machine that will play Region A or 1 as they describe these blu-ray terms,my is B or 2

I"ve looked for the Film in 3d ,but they only have so far in Region A

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Boppa99 the 2D and 3D versions of this movie (released by Legend Films a couple of years ago) should play on your Region B machine fine despite the A code on the packaging -- for the 3D version you should have a 3D player, display, hdmi etc.

I watch it on my Sony 3D headset -- as I do with most movies I wished I'd seen in a theatre as this gives you the sense of a 200ft screen (made for gamers, but I only watch movies on it) -- it is amazing in 3D but is a bit like watching a moving View Master reel -- the climax of the movie is beautifully done and for a movie from the mid 1930s the editing and special effects are outstanding. Only the songs from the original operetta grind the picture to a halt on occasion, but that's only a minor drawback.

Ron I might add that this version of the picture is only on bluray from the US -- there was a local dvd release of it but not on bluray -- sadly these kind of releases are rare down here, hence Amazon and co being our best friend (depending on the international money exchange rates -- not too good for us down here at the moment, most imports on the expensive side these days, quite the opposite a few years ago)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian McP said:
Ron I might add that this version of the picture is only on bluray from the US -- there was a local dvd release of it but not on bluray -- sadly these kind of releases are rare down here, hence Amazon and co being our best friend (depending on the international money exchange rates -- not too good for us down here at the moment, most imports on the expensive side these days, quite the opposite a few years ago)

Brian,

You are right. The existing release I have is a DVD.

So, this is a nice upgrade as long as the 2D version is in Black and White

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This question doesn't relate to me as I don't have a 3-D Television, but does the 3-D effect for the MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS (1934) Blu-ray still work if the color is turned off?

CHEERS! :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Laurel and Hardy, I learned today whilst looking at Blu-rays on the German Amazon site that they are known there as Dick and Doof. I had no idea! Hilarious!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Dick & Doof = Fat & Stupid!
I first read about that Dick & Doof reference many years ago. Incidentally, the Network Blu-ray of THE FLYING DEUCES (1939) also has the 1951 German dubbed version, which is titled DICK UND DOOF IN DER FREMDENLEGION. For those who might be looking for a decent print of the original English language version, I highly recommend this Region Free BD!

CHEERS! :)

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Had MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS for some time now and bearing in mind this is a vintage 1934 film its a tremendous achievement to get this looking so good. Had my own film print which we projected for many a year decades even and was delighted to give it a well earned rest as we now project the Blu-Ray happily instead.

Every year as long as I had the film print we have projected it on the 14th Dec which was its anniversary date and switching to the 3D Blu-Ray was quite a upgrade for us. Believe I purchased the 3D BR about 5 years ago which is full frame and complete which is what everyone should be looking for as it was cut at some point.

Although being colorized may not appeal to all they have done a very tidy job and perhaps as its toyland pretend themed it suits the process more than ever at least if you are still young at heart. Expect to see some marks on the image but its certainly the best I have seen it and worth of your money, if in the UK you will find it around £15 but there are three versions of it including non 3D and Blu-Ray/DVD set.

I should mention we project our 3D onto a 8ft screen and the 3D effect is good for a converted oldie.

Would be nice to see more Laurel and Hardy on Blu-Ray so thank you 3D Classics for leading the way for the boys and keeping the flame alight :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Does the version with all the bells and whistles have a plain vanilla B&W flat version on it? I have the one with just the regular version of the film on it, but the transfer is washed out.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
March Of The Wooden Soldiers aka Babes In Toyland is owned by NY's WPIX TV, we know the OCN exists at UCLA and a second protection neg might be with the LOC. Sadly PIX does not get the value of saving the film. My understanding is there are only various prints that PIX does have in storage. A few years back I hounded a great guy at the station who loved the stations history to re-air the film in black and white and even tipped him off to use the master that their sister station WGN aired and also which runs on TCM and MOVIES! I was told by a UCLA source the film is in demand at the holidays for theatrical showings and that even Quentin Tarantino wanted to run a print at his theater in CA but no good print could be found. It is frustrating trying to get PIX to get it we are being told the film could have a top Bly ray and dvd release with great bells and whistles - I did have the station mangers ear but the station was in the middle of being sold and the sale went through. Now we are told too much going on to discuss this now, you talk about frustrating? The station also created The Yule Log - way back in 1966 and tons of people want it on video - the station tried to do it but they said the rights clearances were hell. They have a blanket license to run it every Christmas. They do not get it - go to Time Life where they are pros at this stuff and make the vid release happen!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The problem with the Yule Log is licensing costs for the various music rights.
Yes thats what I was alluding to BUT Time Life could do it they do it with every music release they issue multi set cd's PIX a TV station had no experience or resources Time Life would

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks