What's new

March Madness 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball (HTF Pick'em Challenge, too) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Duke, with the "easiest" road to the Final Four, makes good and gets there. blech!

I think WVU is the team to beat in the Final Four this season.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Duke, with the "easiest" road to the Final Four, makes good and gets there. blech!

I've heard the idiot Steve Lavin on ESPN crowing about Duke having the easiest bracket, but he never backed it up with any facts whatsoever. It's a crock. Duke was the only #1 seed that had to face chalk all the way through their bracket. They played the #8 seed, the #4 seed, and the #3 seed in their bracket. Not one lesser seed unless you think Villanova was actually better than Baylor. I don't believe that and thought Baylor should have been the #2 in that region anyhow. Regardless, I completely disagree that Duke was in the easiest region.

Love my Blue Devils, like I have for nearly 30 years now (way before they started making Final Fours on a regular basis - so I'm not a bandwagon fan). I like their chances over WVU and think they match up pretty well with either Butler or MSU. But nothing will come easy and any of the four teams left can win in Indy this coming weekend.

Gary "Go Duke!" O.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But doesn't by virtue of Duke being the only #1 to get to the final four mean that they had the easiest bracket?

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I got 3 out of 4 right on the final four. Still in the lead!
Pretty risky having Butler go all the way, but so far the basketball gods have been on my side...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Nobody had an easy bracket. All four teams played their best when it mattered most and accomplished quite a lot over four wins to make it where they are today. The dumbest argument in college basketball every year at this time is saying that a team "lucked out" because they did not have to play one highly seeded team or another.

Similarly, nobody is saying Maryland, Northern Iowa, or Tennessee "lucked out" because Michigan State was playing without their best player (injured Point Guard Kalin Lucas). Yet people claim that Duke was lucky that Purdue was playing without Robbie Hummel.

The NCAA Tournament is about putting up or shutting up, and the surest sign of success next to the scoreboard is how many asterisks fans and professional commentators are trying to apply to your victories. Nobody bothers applying those asterisks when you lose. [/url]

But doesn't by virtue of Duke being the only #1 to get to the final four mean that they had the easiest bracket?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

One could also argue that of all the #1 seeds, Duke must have been the most deserving.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton ">[/url]

One could also argue that of all the #1 seeds, Duke must have been the most deserving.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but they made it to The Final Four without ever having to face a top seed. Frauds!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
So, remember when we all agreed to each send the winner $50? Anyone?
This is the best I have ever done in this thing, regardless of whether Duke or Butler wins.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I'm kicking myself for not using this same bracket in a paid pool that I was in. I would have easily won, and first prize was nearly $1,300! Then again, the reason I took a lot of risks in this HTF pool was that it was free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks