What's new

Marantz NR1601 vs Pioneer VSX S500 (1 Viewer)

ReinierL

Auditioning
Real Name
Reinier
Hi, I'm looking for a slim model receiver and now I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the two receivers mentioned in the subject, the Marantz NR1601 and the Pioneer VSX S500. Both of them are more or less 400 euro (the Marantz is a little more expensive). The Marantz NR1601 is an older model with no Internet, but perhaps more quality (not sure!). The Pioneer VSX S500 is a brand new model with quite some features, but only a few reviews. I slightly prefer the Pioneer, but that's more a feeling and not really based on facts. I don't really need the Internet connecting, because I can use my HTPC for that, although the Internet radio option would be handy. I do need upscaling from analog video to HDMI, but I believe both these receivers support this upscaling. I also read that the Pioneer has a more fancy UI compared to the Marantz. I want to use the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 speakers. Thanks for any help!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It looks to me like they are almost the same receiver. Both are about 50wpc and provide a lot of network features. The major differences seem to be an extra optical input on the Pioneer, and component input/output on the Marantz. (I like to have component I/O for older equipment compatibility; but that's not a big deal to everyone.) They have different calibration systems too. Marantz provides Audessey, which many people like; but I wouldn't base a purchase on that difference. The Marantz 1602 (newer model) is 50 pounds less on Amazon.uk. I have the Marantz 1602 and like it a lot. One exception is the remote, which works fine, but has some quesitonable layout choices. (My biggest beef is that the buttons for direct, surround, and stereo are on different portions of the remote.) Also, although you didn't ask, make sure you're okay with the power output of these guys. I have a small room (13x15), so wasn't worried at all, but it works out I'm closer to the top end than I would have thought. Not a problem for me, but could have been in a larger room. For comparison purposes I was coming from a 75wpc Onkyo and power draw never hit my radar. (Also for comparison purposes, I'm running Axiom M22/M100 speakers in the front and some old mini-Advents for surrounds.)

ReinierL

Auditioning
Real Name
Reinier
Al.Anderson said:
It looks to me like they are almost the same receiver. Both are about 50wpc and provide a lot of network features. The major differences seem to be an extra optical input on the Pioneer, and component input/output on the Marantz. (I like to have component I/O for older equipment compatibility; but that's not a big deal to everyone.) They have different calibration systems too. Marantz provides Audessey, which many people like; but I wouldn't base a purchase on that difference.
Well actually the Marantz 1601 has no network features (no ethernet connection)
Al.Anderson said:
The Marantz 1602 (newer model) is 50 pounds less on Amazon.uk.
Wow, I see the Marantz 1602 is 399 pnd (480 euro) on amazon.uk, while here in the Netherlands the cheapest offer is 649 euro!! (what's the catch??). I'm wondering if I can purchase this receiver on amazon.uk from the Netherlands? I can remember that they don't ship electronics to NL. If they do ship to NL it becomes a comparison between the 1602 and the Pioneer S500. (the 1602 being 80 euro more expensive). The Pioneer S500 on amazon.uk on the other hand is 540 euro, while here in NL it's 400 euro!!! What a huge difference! (look at tweakers.net/pricewatch for the NL prices)
Al.Anderson said:
Also, although you didn't ask, make sure you're okay with the power output of these guys.
I'm planning to connect the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 speakers to the receiver, so I guess power is not an issue. It's for an average living room.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Reinier,

Welcome to the forum (from a close-by location ).

Yes, lots of items can be bought from Amazon/UK (depends mainly on the seller), but you may receive something with a wrong power connector (Voltage will probably be alright nowadays).

You could also try Amazon/De. The French branch is very often more expensive, BTW.

Good luck with your choice!

Cees

ReinierL

Auditioning
Real Name
Reinier
Cees Alons said:
Hello Reinier, Welcome to the forum (from a close-by location :) ). Yes, lots of items can be bought from Amazon/UK (depends mainly on the seller), but you may receive  something with a wrong power connector (Voltage will probably be alright nowadays). You could also try Amazon/De. The French branch is very often more expensive, BTW. Good luck with your choice! Cees
Hi Cees, Thanks for the advise, the power connector is indeed something to keep in mind, although a simple converter solves the issue. I've checked the Marantz 1602 on the German amazon and there it is 925 euro!!! A difference of 445 euro between the UK and German amazon! Am I missing something?:confused:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Am I missing something?

Probably an inbetween party....

But yes, it pays to compare German, UK and French sites standardly, in cases like this.

Cees

ReinierL

Auditioning
Real Name
Reinier
Now both the Marantz 1602 and the Pioneer fit in my budget (although I have to buy the Marantz on amazon UK). Still not sure what to pick.... :( I guess I will go for the Pioneer here in NL

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Well, like I mentioned, I think it comes down to the connections. If you could use an extra optical input go with Pioneer; if you could use component in/out, then go Marantz. If you don't care about either, go with looks.

ReinierL

Auditioning
Real Name
Reinier
Al.Anderson said:
Well, like I mentioned, I think it comes down to the connections. If you could use an extra optical input go with Pioneer; if you could use component in/out, then go Marantz. If you don't care about either, go with looks.
You're right, besides the connections it probably doesn't really matter. I just ordered the Pioneer S500 in combination with the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 speakers! :D I don't really care about the component connection and this way I don't have to get the receiver from the UK. (not that there is something wrong with stuff that comes from the UK :), but I think it saves me some trouble in case something is wrong the receiver) Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks