1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz Audio/Video Conflict

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jedorme, Dec 2, 2010.

1. jedorme

jedorme Auditioning

Just installed a Marantz SR6004 in my system & have had some problems with using all HDMI inputs/outputs, so while I'm sorting those out I connected my DirecTV & Samsung Blu-ray DVD to the AVR with component & then component out to my my Samsung HDTV. Also have an Apple TV (2nd gen) that only uses HDMI so I left it connected to my AVR & use my AVR HDMI out to a second HDTV to use the ATV until I resolve my other HDMI issues. I didn't want to have add digital audio cables to this so I left all my HDMI cables in place for audio, which my Marantz manual indicates is OK. Everything works as expected except whenever I change audio volume on the AVR (unit or remote) it temporarily interrupts my video to the component HDTV (not the HDMI TV) & if I mute the volume, I lose all video until I turn off the mute. Any idea what is causing this? Thought I might check to see if there might be an AVR issue before I just unhooked the HDMI & used digital audio cables.

2. Michael Cucka

Michael Cucka Stunt Coordinator

First, realize that if you go the component/digital route, you are not getting the hi-res audio from BD since this requires HDMI or 7.1 outputs from your source to the SR7004.

Secondly, I purchased a SR7005 a couple of months ago and never could get the HDMI handshake issues resolved. Certain sources, like DirecTV and my XBox 360, always worked. Others, like my Marantz DVD and Oppo BD, were challenging at best. This is connecting to a Marantz projector, VP11S1

I spent the last month going back and forth with Marantz support and they have no clue what's going on, so after being a long-time Marantz devotee this unit is going back.

I suggest you contact Marantz - if nothing else, it'll add another user to the que with this problem so that it can be fixed with a firmware update someday.

Sorry -

3. jedorme

jedorme Auditioning

I finally resolved the handshake problem with my Samsung HDTV after some struggling to get their support folks to update my firmware (it's a 3 year old TV). Now it appears (knock on wood) that all my HDMI inputs/outputs are working as they should - but I had already set up my return authorization for the Marantz SR6004 AVR if they hadn't. Now I'm left with 2 nagging problems. First, when I was connected with component cables, I could get my Zone A audio to work as advertised in the Marantz manual, but now that I'm back to HDMI it wont work. Which doesn't make sense to me because the sound for the zone is analog only & I haven't changed the RCA input from my Sat set top box to the Marantz, but for some unknown reason now my analog sound signal is lost. Second, I have 2 TV's connected to the 2 HDMI outputs, & the Marantz only lets you use them one at a time (either HDMI 1 OR 2), but I connected the second TV to components (as well as component in to the AVR from my Sat box), but I can't get any video to TV2. I'll try Marantz support again on Mon but I'm really becoming frustrated with what seems to be fairly straight forward hookup issues. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Jed