What's new

Many people who buy smart TVs don't use web features, survey says (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Not surprisingly, Smart TV manufacturers need more intelligent marketing, according to a survey by Analysys Mason. Could it be that many consumers don't know how to hook up their Smart HDTV to their in the house network? Less than half of consumers who own a TV that come with applications to stream content from the web have connected their TV to the Internet. It's unclear how much monetization TV manufacturers hope to make off "smart TV's", probably in the form of applications, but less than half of their audience hooking up doesn't bode well. With tablets projected to outsell all PC (desktop and notebooks) by 2015, the appetite to purchase an applications for a TV seems sketchy. (note, smart phones outsold all PC's in 2012).

Some cable providers are also considering putting applications into their STB's, putting more pressure to use applications on Smart TV's, particularly since the STB's would most likely be connected to the internet without and extra connection.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
They probably need to offer in home installation of ALL features, including their apps. In all fairness, installation of the apps is not exactly child's play.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find the web browser cumbersome and slow to use on my Samsung plasma and i'm not interested that much in the smart hub features, occasionally i view BBC iPlayer or check the weather using the apps and i occasionally use the web browser but when i do i bring my wireless mouse downstairs and hook it up to a USB slot, makes all the difference as its unusable with the remote control and the way the browser works is sometimes a pain.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got a 55" Panasonic Plasma ST50 a few months ago (which I love) and have no interest in the streaming stuff.

I've got so much content to watch via my Time-Warner DVR and shelves of unwatched films that the last thing I need is streaming. :biggrin:

I also just upgraded to a universal Pioneer player (to facilitate SACD & DVD-A content along with DVDs and Blus). It also comes with all kinds of streaming apps which I have no interest in.

MAYBE someday...but not today. And I highly doubt it. But maybe.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That says it for me. That stuff is not why I have my plasma and my BD player.Not interested.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Half the stuff isn't available outside of the U.S. For example, I believe my Panasonic has Hulu on it. I live in Canada. Hulu isn't available here,so it's useless as a streaming app. Most of the other ones are like that as well.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Without trying I have 3 devices connected to my set that will get Netflix, Hulu, etc. so I don't bother with it on my "smart tv".

My guess is that most buyers of smart tvs already have a BD player or game console that performs these functions just fine.

Once you get above entry-level tvs you're going to get "smart" features whether you want them or not. If you've already set up your game console or BD player for streaming you can ignore them on the tv. My set is web-connected but only for firmware updates.

Paul Pratt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Pratt
I think having too many smart devices is more than likely the problem. By the time one gets a smart tv they more than likely already have a handful of devices that can access apps: AppleTV, Xbox, PS3, Wii, Tivo, etc. I think most people have already gotten comfortable with their preferred device and the tv becomes lost in the shuffle.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
you could also say:

"many people that buy HDTVs don't use HD! ".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks