1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mandingo up for preorder on Amazon

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    In addition to "March of the Wooden Soldiers" it

seems that Legend films is also quietly releasing

Mandingo to Blu-ray.

It can be preordered on Amazon for $16.95

[​IMG]

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
  3. flagbrothers

flagbrothers Well-Known Member

I will add this to my collection. I hope legend can obtain more blaxploitation films from Paramount.

The Legend of Nigger Charley

The Sould of Nigger Charley

Charley One Eye

Up Tight!

Hit!

Superfly TNT

4. Douglas R

Douglas R Well-Known Member

Doug
    I don't like to step in just to rubbish a film but in this case I'll make an exception. MANDINGO is an appalling piece of junk and I could never understand why Richard Fleischer and James Mason ever wanted to be involved in it.

5. rich_d

rich_d Well-Known Member

Rich

Absolutely. If there ever was a film that all involved should be deeply embarrassed about making it is Mandingo. I'll admit to seeing it upon release and being embarrassed to my core that I actually watched that film - like no other movie before or since.

6. bgart13

bgart13 Well-Known Member

Ben
    Really wish companies would make it a standard to have transfers in HD be at least 30gb. It appears MANDINGO is about 15gb -- not much of an increase in data size. Legend really needs to take better advantage of the size of the transfer. I know it's affordable but give us a little more, huh? At this point I don't think I'd purchase something like THE SKULL on blu-ray if it's only going to be such a minor increase.

7. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Well-Known Member

Jack
    I Agreee bgart13, I think there should be a standard and no offense but WB's bit rates tend to stay on the lazy side. THX-1138, that film should have been spread out further on the disc. It was a useless waste of disc space just not used. I also think that the mbps should never fall below 20, honestly I would say 25mbps... but so many Warner titles have some highs and lows it is crazy.

I realize WB's churns out more titles than most studios to be sure but I would rather go for quality over quantity. I guess all studios can't be Criterion or even Blue-Underground.

8. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned

or vice versa.

Mandingo always controversial and when I interviewed Fleischer he seemed perfectly happy with the movie. I thought it would make a perfect double-bill with Barabbas, another Fleischer film about slavery, and perhaps if Mandingo was set in Ancient Rome the reaction might have been somewhat different. Frankly, my dears, it's a damn sight more realistic than Gone With the Wind.

9. rich_d

rich_d Well-Known Member

Rich

I don't think realism is the issue. If we wanted reality we wouldn't go to the movies.