What's new

MAN WHO WOULD BE KING--new DVD? (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I see the film, released back in the day, has been reissued with new packaging--is it the same flipper disc, though? Be nice to have it all on one side.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
The Region 2 from Amazon UK is anamorphic widescreen 16 x 9 with the total movie on one side dual layered.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Re: the "new" disc it's the same disc, just new packaging. Nothing to see here, folks, move on.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

Re: the "new" disc it's the same disc, just new packaging. Nothing to see here, folks, move on.

Have you seen the new disc? There was a review on Amazon that said the new disk was a flipper, but this review was based on "previous" reviews, which were all posted before the release date of the new disk.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, I have. Same flipper disc.

Some of those reviews mention that the disc contains an edited version of the film. Is that so?

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Oh no...does this mean it has the same edits the old DVD version had? The excission of Peachy ...

smiling as he falls ever deeper into the ravine...

...has always surprised me - I feel it completes his character and detracts from the director's original intention... there are couple of other little snips too, but that one offends me the most.

I want Houston's original theatrical cut, the one I saw in theaters! This is one of my all-time favorite films.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
It's not so much an edited version as an alternate print of sorts. At the end of the film, instead of Caine's closing narration playing out over a process shot of Connery's fall, it just fades back to him and Plummer in the newspaper office as he wraps up his tale. No dialogue is missing, as far as I can tell. Truth be told, I kind of prefer it the way it is on the disc...

Claire Panke

Second Unit
UGH. No thanks. :-(

I can't believe a film this good by a master director still has such a shoddy DVD release. Bummed...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It would be great to have a Blu, but depending on what elements are available viewers who recall the theatrical release may still be disappointed.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

It would be great to have a Blu, but depending on what elements are available viewers who recall the theatrical release may still be disappointed.

When it was on HDNet Movies a few years ago it looked stunning.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I meant the missing footage. If what they're transferring doesn't have it, it obviously won't appear on the Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks