What's new

Man of Steel - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Imma just going to dispense with spoilers at this point, as most people reading this thead knows the main sticking points.

Spoilers below:

So I saw this film a second time on Friday with a larger group of friends. And it didn't really get any better. Actually, I got even more annoyed whenever I'd hear the "Pa Kents lays down some weird life's lesson flashback" piano cue.

Pa Kent vs. the tornado continues to be an eye-rolling scene. Even in Smallville (the TV show), Clark's heroics were ascribed only to someone known as "the Blur", could Clark be that idiotic and let his daddy die like that? Preposterous! That's about when I checked out of the movie. The biggest lesson that this particular Jonathan did not teach Clark is that you fight the good fight, you don't just do nothing because you're not done "baking" (sorry about the Buffy reference). You show your son how to find a way to save people surreptiously if you're scared of having Clark whisked away by the government, mobbed by people and paparazzi, etc. This scene fails the "Come on, man!" test.

I suspect Clark was not taught the game of chess by Pa Kent. Clark is never shown to think 1, 2, or even 3 steps ahead. Did Clark not realize that punch-plowing Zod into the corn fields left his mother with Faora and the other military dudes? Did he think they'd be playing tiddly-winks with Martha? So dumb. And the lack of any scenes to show that Clark was concerned with collateral damage when engaging the other Kryptonians was lazy writing. The writer or director never even tried to play up the tension, as it hand-cuffs Clark's attack options. No, he just has Clark go full-tilt boogie with his assaults.

One of the major problems I have with Snyder the director is that he's not a story-teller, he's a spectacle-teller. But his spectacles rarely have any resonance to them, so the amazing action set pieces exist in a vacuum, all sound and fury, but rarely signifying anything of consequence or substance.

Why didn't Clark try to figure how to replicate the Kryptonian atmospherics? Or come up with a red sun solution? Why was Lois even asked to go onboard their ship? It made no sense from Zod's POV. To maintain some sort of leverage on Clark? Or if the Jor-el key was in control of the ship, why does it only focus on opening and closing doors for Lois (my group of friends mocked Jor-el's posture and hand gestures quite unmercifully), and not simply disable the ship, or put it on a course for a nearby sun to burn it through and through?

Hated the eyerolling use of the instant universal communicator technology that Kryptonians must have had in order to not only speak English, but understand it as well. Yes, they make it a point to show up with the "You are not alone" in all languages broadcast around the world, But given they have those 3D printable "screens", how would they even know to interface with TV signals at all (or pump it through to smartphones thousands of years behind their own technology)? Again, if you go for realism in this version, you don't get to pick convenience when it suits your story-telling. Plus, why would Zod refer to earth time units to express how long they've been adrift. Are we to believe the 20,000 year old Kryptonian homing beacon is ansible-ready (i.e. instantaneous communication across the cosmos, regardless of distance). How would Zod know if Kal was living below the radar on Earth? For all he knew Kal could have been totally accepted, a celebrity, perhaps, but old news by now. The script presumes a level of omniscience that is hard to swallow for Zod. I know, a lot of nitpicks.

What was with all the fortune-cookie-spewing dialogue from Faora on morals? How is Krypton amoral? By creating a military genetic caste system to reflect Krypton's morals, Kryptonians have asserted their form of morals on their society. Perhaps their form of colonization is amoral compared to primitive Earth's own experiences with colonization by different countries planet-bound. Did it make Kryptonian military folks ruthless, sure, amoral? I don't know. If Krypton was amoral, they wouldn't be using the phantom zone for somatic re-conditioning. Krypton valued life to continue their species survival, just not choice for the individual.

As far as the final Zod solution arrived by Clark, that was simply terrible writing. Never do we think Clark is prepared to sacrifice himself to save humanity (did anyone think he wasn't going to get out of the Indian Ocean hentai-inspired tentacled diversion?). Clark takes the easy way out with Zod. He could had simply flown him and Zod to the dark side of earth, even though the gravity is less on Earth, Clark has been exposed to the sun for 33 years, Zod, maybe a few hours at best, even after figuring out how to fly. Tire Zod out. Pummel him to a pulp. Or, turn his own heat vision on Zod's cranium, perhaps lobotomizing him in the crucial moment in the train station. Unfortunately, the writer wanted Clark to be faced with the ultimate "kill or be killed" confrontation situation by taking away all of the Kryptonian technology options that could have been used to deal with Zod. And no one is clamoring for a followup movie with Zod and no Clark, so guess who's winning this battle? The "kill or be killed" scenario isn't all that interesting if there are truly no clever ways to side-step it if you are hero-myth-building. No, this was the writer's nihlist view on heroism. One void of joy, and exhilaration, even if the hero finally triumphs, he is now forever tainted with the weight of having to kill to serve a greater good, the survival of humanity. And if faced with similar circumstances, he will kill with a lesser burden on his heart. Been there, done that.

It's a cynicism that has seeped into modern super-hero story-telling that leaves this viewer less invested in the central character for this franchise going forward.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Stephen Brooks said:
Give the music one more chance. It really grows on you the second viewing. It doesn't have a theme, but it has "atmosphere", if you will. The violin as Krypton is exploding was a particular standout for me.

I rewatched Superman II today, and I gotta say...complaints about Zod's death in MOS are starting to seem really hypocritical. Supes MURDERS Zod in Superman II. Zod is depowered and no real threat to anyone, he could easily be taken to jail, but Superman crushes his hand and then chucks him into the abyss with a smirk on his face. Compare that to MOS, where Zod presents a real and immediate threat, so Kal-El does what he must do even though he obviously hates doing it. If we're going to complain about a movie having Superman do something "out of character", then for me that movie is Superman II, not MOS.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app
Superman smirks because as shot he wasn't killing him. They never should have cut this scene from the movie...
superman2ricdvdscreencap20.jpg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I never thought Supes killed Zod and company at the end of SII, he was just having some fun with them after they got de-powered. Sheesh!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
WillG said:
You know, regarding that

It's gotten to bug me in movies that people needlessly die (or at least, nearly get killed) because they're trying to save a dog. I know we all love our dogs, but in this case what would you imagine being more traumatizing to Clark, losing the dog or losing his (Earth) father (the only father he's ever known at that point in his life)? Especially given the fact that Clark could have easily saved him. Snyder himself is also guilty of this in his Dawn of the Dead remake. Only in that movie, it gets other people needlessly killed.
SPOILER ALERT

My wife was bugged by this too, but I saw it as Pa Kent risked his life for his dog, he didn't intentionally give his life for his dog. My thinking was he believed he had time to make it back and when his foot got stuck, that changed everything. By the time he gets out of the vehicle, he knows it is over. I get what you are saying and I'm not a pet person, so I would never even risk my life for a pet.
Patrick Sun said:
I never thought Supes killed Zod and company at the end of SII, he was just having some fun with them after they got de-powered. Sheesh!
I was 11 yrs old so take that into account, but I certainly thought Supes killed Zod and company at the end of SII. I still thought that even up until today when I first read this thread. Obviously, I have never seen the Donner cut.

Peace,

DM

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I will agree with you on a couple points, Patrick:

The liquid metal tentacle crap was unbearable. This has become the CGI version of the narrator track. Lazy, lazy, lazy. We want a big fight, we want to use CGI, we don't want to spend a lot of money. How about a metal tentacle!! Screw them. It is so bad, it literally drags out the rest of the action which is far better done.

I also would have liked to have seen just one or two scenes of Kal saving innocents during the fighting. We get him saving Lois, we get him warning some people, we get him saving a soldier or two. But, in Metropolis I wanted to see one or two more saves. If the kid can save a bus, the man can dang well save a few hundred innocents. It's part of what Superman DOES.

I'm also totally unsure of what Faora's speeches were about or for. They don't make a ton of sense and they are NEVER paid off.

I do not have a problem with Kal killing Zod. However, since it is a formative moment for Superman I would have liked it if he had killed Zod by accident. A sort of "whoops, I didn't know my own strength" moment where he pops Zod's head off his body or something. This gives us the 'choice' of him choosing humanity to protect no matter what and it also gives us a moment that Kal must always remember - you are Superman. You must be careful of how much power you use.

I don't have any problems with Pa Kent's sacrifice or your nitpicks.

What I really think this film needed was levity or charm. It's so big and so overwhelmingly IMPORTANT. All about the choices that must be made to become a man, all about how he will CHANGE THE WORLD! Where's some humor? Some levity? Some cuteness? Man...the movie is just too heavy.

I originally thought it was an A-, I still think it's a B+...great, but flawed.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Quentin said:
What I really think this film needed was levity or charm. It's so big and so overwhelmingly IMPORTANT. All about the choices that must be made to become a man, all about how he will CHANGE THE WORLD! Where's some humor? Some levity? Some cuteness? Man...the movie is just too heavy.
Indeed. Since Superman II has been referenced a few times in this thread, I believe part of the charm of that movie is Terrance Stamp. Even his portrayal of Zod has charm!

"So this is planet Houston." :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Gotta admit I'm astonished so many people like this movie. I hated it - it couldn't have been more awful if it tried. It actually made me look back fondly on "Superman IV"!

There's almost literally nothing "right" about this film. It's poorly made as a movie - HOLD THE CAMERA STEADY FOR AT LEAST FIVE SECONDS! - and it's not "real Superman". I'm fine with some liberties but this never feels like the character we know - he's some gloomy alternate with the same powers but none of the personality.

I kept waiting for the movie to get good - it never did. It was simply horrible...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colin Jacobson said:
Gotta admit I'm astonished so many people like this movie. I hated it - it couldn't have been more awful if it tried. It actually made me look back fondly on "Superman IV"!

There's almost literally nothing "right" about this film. It's poorly made as a movie - HOLD THE CAMERA STEADY FOR AT LEAST FIVE SECONDS! - and it's not "real Superman". I'm fine with some liberties but this never feels like the character we know - he's some gloomy alternate with the same powers but none of the personality.

I kept waiting for the movie to get good - it never did. It was simply horrible...
I'm astonished you hated It so. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:

You didn't like a movie? That's a first. :)

Seriously though, I don't think Superman is that much different as a character. The difference is that he's in a dark and very serious action movie rather than being in a fun comic book movie.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
TravisR said:
I caught that too. I'm guessing there's more DC references but I didn't notice any others.
The truck that drops Clark off at his Kansas home also had LexCorp on it. The Wayne Tech satellite was mentioned. I read there's a Cyborg nod but I didn't catch it. Sure hope Hal Jordon wasn't flying one of those A-10 warthogs. :)

I noticed that over half the audience stayed for a possible after credits scene. I even heard someone mention to wait until the end so they could watch the trailer for part 2. Marvel has spoiled us! haha

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
SilverWook said:
Superman smirks because as shot he wasn't killing him. They never should have cut this scene from the movie...
superman2ricdvdscreencap20.jpg
Right, but in the final film (including the Donner Cut, IIRC), this isn't there. Therefore it plays as them getting killed. If it had concerned the filmmakers greatly they could have re-shot it differently.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Brandon Conway said:
Right, but in the final film (including the Donner Cut, IIRC), this isn't there. Therefore it plays as them getting killed. If it had concerned the filmmakers greatly they could have re-shot it differently.
Right....and not only does Superman kill someone but Lois does too! I remember this greatly upsetting me as a child.Someone suggested that Kal-El should've accidently ripped Zod's head off....that would have been INCREDIBLE. In full "Zack Snyder slo-mo", with a huge bright red fountain of blood. I would LOVE to read the internet after that! :lol:Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Edwin-S said:
Ha ha. Yeah, I couldn't resist. I don't have a problem with product placement as long as it is used in context with the film. Your example of holding a can of beer is good. It's the ones where they place the product in such a way as to deliberately draw your attention that are annoying. Like having a can of Coca-Cola on the table and then shooting the scene in such a way that the product can't help but be noticed.
In Superman The Movie, there is the scene where Ma Kent is looking out the kitchen window at Clark out in the field. She, and everything else in the kitchen are in silhouette, except for the Cherios box which has a kicker light on it so the logo will STAND OUT! Even when I was 12 in 1978, this screamed product placement to me.

Doug

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I truly hate how people are viewing Superman II (from 1980) through the prism of 2013 to justify the Man of Steel choice for killing Zod. Back then, people knew Superman did not kill. No one thought Superman or Lois killed Zod or Ursa or Non. The script is cheeky in how the then non-powered Kryptonians are dispatched in the FoS, but they aren't killed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
I truly hate how people are viewing Superman II (from 1980) through the prism of 2013 to justify the Man of Steel choice for killing Zod.
I don't think it'll make you feel any better but I'm not. When I look at what is presented in Man Of Steel, I honestly can't understand how anyone sees a long term option other than killing Zod. The guy is like a flying nuclear bomb that can keep on exploding. If Superman just beats the hell out of him so he's incapacitated, how many months or years will it take to create a prison that can hold him? What if Zod gets away from Superman for only a minute or two while they're building that prison? How many people will he kill in that brief amount of time? What if he breaks out of that prison in a decade when Superman isn't waiting right there? How many people will he be able to kill until Superman can lock him back up again? Looking at the ridiculous level of destruction in this movie, Zod killed thousands (probably tens of thousands) of people so if he were to ever escape, the resulting body count would be massive and those deaths can all be avoided if Superman does what no one else can do and kill him.

If we were talking about a human being like Lex Luthor, I'd agree that it's unnecessary and messed up that he killed him but I don't see any other long term option when it comes to Zod.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Sun said:
I truly hate how people are viewing Superman II (from 1980) through the prism of 2013 to justify the Man of Steel choice for killing Zod. Back then, people knew Superman did not kill. No one thought Superman or Lois killed Zod or Ursa or Non. The script is cheeky in how the then non-powered Kryptonians are dispatched in the FoS, but they aren't killed.
Frankly, I don't think most people give it much thought as to whether Superman kills or not.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I don't think it'll make you feel any better but I'm not. When I look at what is presented in Man Of Steel, I honestly can't understand how anyone sees a long term option other than killing Zod. The guy is like a flying nuclear bomb that can keep on exploding. If Superman just beats the hell out of him so he's incapacitated, how many months or years will it take to create a prison that can hold him? What if Zod gets away from Superman for only a minute or two while they're building that prison? How many people will he kill in that brief amount of time? What if he breaks out of that prison in a decade when Superman isn't waiting right there? How many people will he be able to kill until Superman can lock him back up again? Looking at the ridiculous level of destruction in this movie, Zod killed thousands (probably tens of thousands) of people so if he were to ever escape, the resulting body count would be massive and those deaths can all be avoided if Superman does what no one else can do and kill him.

If we were talking about a human being like Lex Luthor, I'd agree that it's unnecessary and messed up that he killed him but I don't see any other long term option when it comes to Zod.
Again, that's because the script closes off all of the Kryptonian options to deal with Zod (the last is when Kal uses his heat vision to burn through the scout ship, and sends it crashing into the ground). Please read what I wrote previously yesterday, it was a writing choice to close off these options to arrive at "The Final Solution".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks