1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Mama's Family" ratings on i Network boad well for DVD releases!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarkDukes, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Well-Known Member

Jason
    ^ Joe, I'm with you on that. I just find it a bit odd that the original press release (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5883) indicated an estimated 338 minutes, which would break down to 26 minutes EXACTLY per episode.

Yet the rear artwork seems to say 278 (which is 21.3 minutes each). That is corroborated by the WB press site. I'm gonna hold the candle for this one. The difference between 338 and 278 is just too much to be chalked up to "estimates". I guess we have to wait for some reviews, now don't we? [​IMG]

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Warner does not seem to have a problem with cutting, but I have no idea of the history of storage/ownership of the materials since producer Joe Hamilton's death in 1991, whether he remarried after his divorce from Carol Burnett, or anything like that.

3. David Rain

David Rain Well-Known Member

Dave
    We should know pretty quickly if these are syndies or not. Because if they aren't they'll have the Harvey Korman intros.

4. MatthewA

Matthew
    Was anything cut from syndication besides the Alastair Quince bits?

5. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Well-Known Member

We at SitcomsOnline.com just got a copy and expect a review in the coming days, but I'm sad to report that each episode runs approx. 21:30.

6. Jason_V

Jason

If that is the case, I will have to save my money next week, as much as it pains me to say it. I could stomach one or two episodes as syndication cuts, but not the entire season. [​IMG]

7. MatthewA

Matthew
    I just don't believe this. They can release "Full House" uncut but not this show, which was actually good? Thanks for saving me hundreds of dollars on this and all other Warner TV DVDs FOREVER. And they can shove all the rest of this series, too. I'm also not buying subsequent releases of the other WB TV shows I wanted (only three: Dallas, Knots Landing, and The Waltons). Even Sony hasn't stooped this low*yet (but I wouldn't put it past them).

This is automatically the worst TV DVD release of the year. And they have the nerve to call it "The Complete First Season"?

Does anyone want to join me in an active boycott of Warner Home Video's TV product, or at the very least, campaign to get them to recall the disc and replace it with uncut episodes? Get the word out by any means necessary:

1) Post extremely negative reviews at any web site that has customer reviews (Amazon, et al).
    2) Anyone who pre-ordered the set send it back and send them a letter saying why accompanying the returning package.
    3) Write to Warner Bros, and tell them that you will not only not buy this set but ANY of their TV DVDs unless they fix this.

Not screwing up future releases is NOT ENOUGH. They need to RECALL this disc, fix it, and offer free replacements to anyone who buys it (which hopefully will be no one).

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Well-Known Member

ugh, this one is going off the list then

9. MatthewA

Matthew
    Here's the contact info as shown on thecinemalaser.com:

DVD Department
    Warner Home Video
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Burbank, CA 91522-1543
    Telephone: 818-954-6000
    Fax: 818-954-6480

10. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Well-Known Member

I cannot believe Warner did this after seeing the way people reacted to ALF, Roseanne and The Cosby Show

11. MatthewA

Matthew
    I don't assume for a second that there are no uncut tapes that are good enough for DVD mastering (the excuse we'll probably get) because:

1) The show is under 25 years old. Videotape, if stored properly, can last fairly long.

2) There are 3/4" umatic tapes at the Library of Congress made at the time of copyright deposit.

3) NBC had at least 4 tapes; 2 each for East Coast and West Coast feeds: a master and a backup. They were on 2" or 1" reel to reel videotape, but there ARE still machines in existence. And there is international distribution as well.

It is possible that since the majority of the show's run was syndicated (4 out of 6 seasons), Warner assumed that this was the correct length. That does not justify it, however.

I can. There were no extras, little promotion, not even the inclusion of the 1982 "Eunice" special. It's obvious that instead of rolling out the red carpet, they're trying to sneak this in through the back door.

12. Beast

Beast Well-Known Member

Welp, guess I'm passing on this release. As much as I don't mind things like altered music, I can't abide syndicated cut episodes of shows. No Sale.

13. MatthewA

Matthew
    Remember, it's not enough just not to buy it, but you must contact Warners and tell them why. If they're of the intelligence that would slap edited episodes onto DVD, they'll definitely blame the show for bad sales and not the way it was treated.

14. David Rain

David Rain Well-Known Member

Dave
    Syndie eps ? Well, I bet the neighbors are just lovin' this !

15. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    I'm so sick of CLUELESS companies that just don't understand what TV on DVD is all about.

If we want cut episodes, we'll record them off television.

DVD is supposedly the last chance to see old series in their original, full-length, uncut glory.

This "Mama's Family" set is now worthless in my estimation.

So, like the others who have written here, I'm another "sure sale" going into the "no sale" category.

16. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

--AN OPEN LETTER TO WARNER HOME VIDEO---

Dear Warners:

Thank you, oh so very much, for producing the biggest piece of SHIT dvd for 2006!! Congratulations!!

If you idiots don't know by NOW that we do not WANT edited episodes on dvd, then you all deserve to lose your jobs.

You are beyond pathetic. If I wanted the edited versions, I could just tape them off TBS and be done with it. Actually, I did. So...no sale for you. I just want you to know WHY. And so now nobody's going to buy your damn disc, and you're going to think, "Oh...nobody likes ol' Mama's Family anymore. We never should have put it out on dvd. Wahhhh..." And you'd be wrong. Because you are stupid. We love Mama's Family; we just want it uncut. Is that SO much to ask??

Idiots.

Sincerely,

Ethan Riley

17. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Well-Known Member

Andrew Radke

No offense, but I'm willing to bet that your letter will get tossed in the trash once whomever reads it gets to the word "shit". I'm just as upset about this release, but there is a right way and a wrong way to approach this situation. Warner (or any company for that matter) won't take letters like this seriously. I guarantee it.

All that aside, I'm VERY surprised that Warner has gone the way of Sony and Lions Gate by releasing this sub-par release. I was ecstatic about owning this, but I've already seen the syndicated episodes on TBS dozens of times over. I was really looking forward to seeing these uncut.

Regardless of the shoddy treatment this release recieved, I'm not going to boycot Warner. If I did, I'd be depriving myself of their many QUALITY releases. But as far as "Mama's Family" is concerned, I'll be keeping my money in my wallet.

18. MatthewA

Matthew
    Maybe they won't take it seriously, but it's the letter they deserve. It's not, however, the letter I would send. As soon as the Sitcoms Online review is published, the only money I will spend in relation to this disc is 37 cents postage. I will be polite in words, but in thoughts, forget it. Here's what I typed last night:

And I may continue to buy Warner TV DVDs if and only if I can find them used.

19. Jason_V

Jason
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable excuses to start pouring out of Warner about this one:

"We don't have the uncut versions"
    "These ARE the uncut versions"
    "The uncut versions were in bad shape"
    "This is the COMPLETE season...all the episodes are there"

This is just shoddy workmanship from a top tier studio. Would they consider releasing "Dog Day Afternoon" as a TV cut? How about the syndication cuts of "Friends" or "The West Wing"? Heck, we got longer versions of "Friends".

No excuse, guys, no excuse.

20. MatthewA

Matthew
    Did they even look for network versions? Did they bother to consult Joe Hamilton's surviving children? How about his ex-wife, Carol Burnett? Any other producers on the show? What about international distribution tapes (most cuts being made only to the US versions)? Failing that, you could go to the Library of Congress and get the 3/4" U-matic Copyright deposit tapes.

Bottom line: Warner took the first tapes on the shelf and on a non-obsolete tape format without checking the running times.

As a side note: videotape can be restored. Companies such as vidipax.com offer this service.