What's new

Maleficent (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Lord Dalek said:
This movie was way too dark and not very impressive (then again Maleficent in general was a real stinker) in 3D. Not sure why you guys are hankering for it.
Some agree with you. And some have said the 3D was almost as good as AVATAR. 3D presentations in theaters can vary...and some 3D movies come out better on BD. I saw CAPT AMERICA 2 in 3D at an IMAX and felt the 3D added little (with a grungy image to boot). Then I saw a 3D YouTube vid of the elevator fight...and the 3D (even on YT) was superior to what I saw theatrically!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
RJ992 said:
Vudu will give you a better experience than the cable offering...but at a slightly higher price: $7.00. Some here will say that Vudu is almost on a par with BD but I disagree. I've seen minor picture issues and, of course, the audio is limited to DD Plus. I'd definitely opt for Vudu over cable, but never over BD.

And in the case of Disney, well they'd rather have you buy FROZEN for $36.00 because they don't have to split money with retailers, distributors, etc. With MALEFICENT, I'll just rent the 3D edition from 3DBR and leave it at that. I have no interest in supporting Disney's policy with my money, however insignificant that is to them.
Do you by chance know how Vudu delivers it's 3D content? I know when I was Cablevision, it was the half side-by-side format, which is where the resolution loss that I noticed came from. I'd maybe spend $5 or so to rent at that price and quality, and that's a big maybe. I can't imagine paying $30 for a digital-only 3D purchase. For a 2D movie, maybe I'd purchase, because while I notice a difference between Vudu streaming and Blu-ray, I still find the image watchable (there's a difference but not a gigantic one). Last 3D movie I watched via cable company was "Metallica: Through The Never" and the image quality was so poor, it was practically unwatchable. Comparing the cable company's 3D to a Blu-ray 3D was like comparing VHS to 4K, that's how huge the quality dropoff was. I never get headaches from 3D viewing and I rarely get eyestrain, at least on my 3D TV and in theaters, but with that title, my head and eyes wanted to explode. I can't imagine paying a purchase price for that experience.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Pass not wasting £20.00 on this I'd sooner eat and feed the cat than waste another £20.00 like on, The Lone Ranger was the worst thing I bought last year on blind-buy-bluray. Not buying Maleinsufficient.

If disney want to get serious then release THE BLACK HOLE (1979) on bluray with 70mm 6-track Dolby mag Dolby TrueHD. And second disc of the film with re-mix Dolby Atmos-Plus with stereo below surrounds. I'd buy that.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
" Not sure why you guys are hankering for it."It's basically irrelevant how good or bad the movie is. If it's 3D in theatres, it should be 3D on BD.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I just checked on the availability of renting "Frozen" in 3D on VUDU, and ... I was wrong: IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO RENT. It's only available as a $35.00 purchase! I only paid about $5 more for the *imported* Blu-ray set which included both a 3D and 2D Blu-ray. No wonder Disney is now pushing streaming so hard!!And what is being objected to here is not the merits of the 3D quality of "Maleficent", but the fact that Disney has now seemingly established a *policy* of withholding 3D versions of their movies from domestic release on Blu-ray, and then making them available for purchase on streaming services only. There is no question but that this is a direct assault against physical media. Right now the assault is somewhat mitigated by the availability of region-free imported 3D BD's, but who knows how long that will last?

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Joseph Bolus said:
And what is being objected to here is not the merits of the 3D quality of "Maleficent", but the fact that Disney has now seemingly established a *policy* of withholding 3D versions of their movies from domestic release on Blu-ray, and then making them available for purchase on streaming services only. There is no question but that this is a direct assault against physical media. Right now the assault is somewhat mitigated by the availability of region-free imported 3D BD's, but who knows how long that will last?
Not long, apparently. The 3D release of Ratatouille reportedly is region-locked.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I didn't care for this movie at all, but I am outraged nonetheless. Between this, Frozen in 3-D, and the refusal to seamlessly branch both versions of Bedknobs and Broomsticks while doing so for three versions Muppets Most Wanted, the a deeply flawed restoration process that makes animated films look smudged, and their inconsistent, vindictive and therefore hypocritical censorship policies, and the absurdly rising costs of the theme parks, I see no reason to support this company anymore.

This is exactly the sort of thing from which Roy E. Disney tried to save Disney.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'll just wait till Maleficent comes to Starz in 3D. Watched Frozen in 3D a few days ago on Starz. Many of the Disney 3D titles that people are complaining about not being in 3D on Blu-ray in the US, missing the 2D Blu-ray disc, prices are too high, etc. have been on Starz in 3D. OK, since its side-by-side 3D you are not getting the full 1080p per eye but, its the same as passive 3D sets. I'll use my $30 instead on titles I can't get on Starz or HBO 3D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watched Maleficent on Starz in 3D last night. I liked the movie better than the 3D which was just OK. Glad I saved $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks