What's new

Making of Bulliit, 10 Commandments, WestWorld... soon on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jerome

Second Unit
I just saw on DVDempire.com that "Koch Releasing" will release on September the 23th several DVD about the making of great Films :

Making of Bullitt

Making of Guns of Navarone

Making of Ten Commandments

Making of Lawrence of Arabia

Making of Grand Prix

Making of Westworld

Each DVD will include 80 minutes of Footage. I assume that part of this will be the original Featurettes of Bullit, Lawrence of Arabia, 10 commandments we saw on the Films DVD.

But Grand Prix is still MIA on DVD.

All these DVD are planned in UK too, October the 13th.

The price is very low.

Haden

Supporting Actor
So now we have to buy extras seperately? :)

It reminds me of that Alien Saga documentary being released seperately in October instead of included on the Alien Quadrilogy set. Oh well... I understand that sometimes supplements like this can't be released with the films they are about on the same DVD because of licensing issues.

It makes me wish that Fox/LFL/Whoever owns the rights to all the old great "Making of Star Wars" and "Making of Indiana Jones" specials would put those on DVD too since they obviously won't be included with the films' DVD sets. The "Making of Indy and the Temple of Doom" special hosted by William Shatner was rather amusing. :) And the "Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark" contained behind the scenes footage of deleted scenes that may not end up on the DVD set this October. It would be nice to have these specials preserved on DVD before my old video tapes become unwatchable.

Real Name
Anthony
Anyone know anything about these - specifically the one on LAWRENCE OF ARABIA ? I kind-of like the covers but they are suspiciously cheap.
Play.com 's got it for £5.99 R2 so how much can they be R1 ?
At that price, they'll be paying us to take them off their hands !

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If these are vintage specials, I'd buy them. If they're new and culled together from old and new junket interviews (like 'Stars of Star Wars' and 'Star Trek vs. Star Wars') then I'll pass.

Andrew*C

Auditioning
Regarding the Raiders documentary, Canadian electronics chain Future Shop is offering it as a pre-order bonus for release on the 21st.
Best Buy owns Future Shop as far as I know, so I'm curious as to whether or not Best Buy might be offering the same deal.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Hey at least the cover art is from the film's original advertising! I'll wait to see what posts these disc get before I buy though.

Real Name
Anthony
OK - I just received the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA disc and the news is not good (I'm presuming that the format of this disc is similar to all the others).

The cover is the classiest thing about this release. A generic menu screen with no connection to the movie leads you to an extremely cheesey intro by some guy in a tux who tells you to relax. Picture quality is mediocre at best.

What follows is NOT, repeat NOT a full-length documentary but simply scraps of related material. It does not constitute a "Making Of" doc as we'd understand it.

First up is the theatrical trailer, followed by the four featurettes that first appeared on the two-disc Lawrence, only with much worse PQ. The only noteable thing is that the ROMANCE OF ARABIA featurette is here in (extremely washed out) colour rather than b/w.

The next two items are profiles of Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif ; basically just one pan and scan trailer after another, with voice-over by the guy you get when you can't afford Voice-Over Guy.
Cheap and hideous, though it may be of interest to Omar Sharif fans, if there are any. It's even got the trailer for that film he made with Chevy Chase and Benjii the dog.

Lastly, there's another intro and the David Lean segment ; again just trailers.

PQ and presentation throughout is poor and audio bog-standard. This is light years away from the quality of the recent AMC releases. At a stretch it might be worth it for anyone who's only got the Superbit disc and would like the featurettes without buying the whole film over (again, note that the PQ is noticeably inferior).

As I said, I don't know what the other discs contain but it looks like this format is the template. Featurettes on the other films may be rarer and that might make these discs attractive, given their low price. But if I'd paid anything like a normal price for this I'd be mightily pissed.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Who produced these? Almost sounds like bootlegs made by some amateur, similar to the Final Countdown releases.

Jerome

Second Unit
they are not bootlegs. All you find in these dvd is public domain. the company behind these dvd is Passport which released "The Stars of Star Wars" and "Star Wars Vs. Star Trek" on DVD.

I have the one about Westworld and it is similar to the Lawrence of Arabia DVD.

It has the trailer, the original featurette (not included in the Westworld DVD by Warner) and a documentary about Yul Brunner.

As you can see on the back cover of the Bullitt DVD, It is quite clear that it is not a complete documentary on the making of the Movie.

You know what you buy.

Real Name
Anthony
Yes, Jerome, you're absolutely right.

There's no good reason why any sane individual should think that a
DVD entitled THE MAKING OF BULLITT, which devotes a third of the back cover to describing THE MAKING OF BULLITT, would actually BE a documentary about THE MAKING OF BULLITT !!

These morons would probably prefer that they'd called it AN HOUR OF STEVE MCQUEEN TRAILERS and only advertised the featurette on Bullitt as an extra. Maybe then they'd stop their whining !

Quelle idiots !! :rolleyes

Jerome

Second Unit
I didn't want to offend anyone. It's just that it was clear to me that these DVD will only include promo featurettes and trailers made at the time of the Release and nothing else.

Passport has always use public domain footage for their DVD. They also sell some documentaries for Television like A century of Science-fiction, hosted by Christopher Lee, with clips from Trailers.

And the price is very low.

Real Name
Anthony
NOW you tell me !!?

Where was all this information when I was asking if anyone knew anything about these discs ?!

:)

Seriously though,Jerome - I wasn't offended. The disc was cheap and I wasn't expecting much. My point is that it didn't even match my low expectations.And you have to admit that -if you didn't know jack about the company that produced it - this is pretty misleading packaging.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
I bit and picked up the making of The Ten Commandments, Westworld, Lawrence of Arabia.

I wish I hadn't!
Sniff, sniff... what's that?

Oh yeah...the utter stench of crap!

Save your money!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Hearing of their release I was curious and also assumed that given the low retail price the quality would be questionable to say the least - I purchased "The Making Of Grand Prix" and was not disappointed. However, despite being faded the feature was interesting and although a full frame presentation it looks like the original format - the use of a wide angle lens during various scenes at least allows a more expansive image. And there were trailers for The Driver and Duel - despite also being full frame it was a bit more entertainment thrown in, which isn't saying much. I feel it is the best of the bunch! The Bullitt making of feature (on that disc)is identical to what WB includes on their Bullitt dvd - which is of much better video quality. By the way, I am trying to remember which features each of these two discs offered ( I don't have them with me) - I could be forgetting details and making mistakes. The back of each dvd gives all the information.

Jerome

Second Unit
NOW you tell me !!?

Seriously though,Jerome - I wasn't offended. The disc was cheap and I wasn't expecting much. My point is that it didn't even match my low expectations.And you have to admit that -if you didn't know jack about the company that produced it - this is pretty misleading packaging.

I understand. But I know what to expect after seeing the back covers of each disc on the DVD empire Website.

And for Westworld and Grand prix, the original featurettes are not on the DVD, Grand prix isn't yet released on DVD. So I think it is a good deal for these two DVD. the other ones are just the sames featurettes as in the official DVD.

And I'm Ok with you that the packaging is the best thing on these dvds.

And I prefer the Alien Saga and Omen Legacy, just released by Image. They are real good documentary about the making of the films.

If you like Lawrence of Arabia, my be you will be interested in the Exclusive third DVD included on the french DVD edition of the film. It included a documentary named "In love with the Desert" (86') directed by Alain Littaye.

More news here (sorry in French) :
http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?2543

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?5027

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks