What's new

Make Room For Daddy on Cozi TV - Season 10! (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Am really enjoying the episodes of Danny as a single father! Mary Wickes was a riot as his agent! She should have remained with the series. Seems like she was featured some the next season then disappeared... Not sure why she was great.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Boy, this season four is a real find for fans of Mary Wickes. It's like thirty new little movies for her fans to enjoy. I can see why she disappeared after Marjorie Lord came on board though. She's the female surrogate that's so sorely needed in season four. Once Danny remarries, her function on the show is no longer needed. But I'm enjoying every minute of it while it lasts!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Another Linda appeared on yesterday's episode ?? Wonder how Angela Cartwright inherited the role?? Anyone know??

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
AlanP said:
Another Linda appeared on yesterday's episode ?? Wonder how Angela Cartwright inherited the role?? Anyone know??
This introduction of the Linda character was near the end of season four and the show's run on ABC. Over the summer, the production team made a deal with CBS whereby the show would change its name to THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW and take over the slot vacated by i LOVE LUCY on Monday night.

I assume that either the producers, the sponsor, and/or the new network saw that child's whiny performance and all the glances off to the side as if she were reading cue cards and decided she wouldn't work as a regular family member. As far as I know, this was the only non-Angela Linda appearance, as Angela took over the role immediately. (I believe she should be appearing as soon as tonight's second episode).

And thank goodness they were found Angela! That other girl was so irritating. Of course the story's premise of having her be a Holy Terror in an effort to squelch her mom's romance didn't endear her to the prospective audience, but I found her annoying regardless. I wanted her meet the same fate as Jean Hagen's character before the episode was over.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Actually, the show changed its name to "The Danny Thomas Show" starting the fourth season while it was still on ABC. It's almost as if Danny wanted "Make Room for Daddy" to be a separate show, with that Hagen woman in it. He must have really hated her for hating him.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i recall marjorie lord much better than jean hagen. but i do recall watching the shows when i was real young, where danny was single again.

but i have no recall of it being called the danny thomas show, and every recall of "make room for daddy"

was the public still referring to it as mrfd, to a large degree ?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That is correct and they did not show the Jean Hagen episodes in syndication or daytime network reruns which is why most don't remember her.
Rob_Ray said:
I believe it was called MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY in syndication and possibly in daytime network reruns.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
That is correct and they did not show the Jean Hagen episodes in syndication or daytime network reruns which is why most don't remember her.
I was pretty sure they showed the Hagan episodes during the run on NBC daytime in the early 60s. When I get a chance, I'll pull out a few TV Guides and check. When it started running, I don't think they would have enough Lord episodes for a 5-day strip.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ok way back then I can them shown as the show was still on. I was referring to the daily reruns of the 70's and early 80's which is when I saw the show and I think many others did as well. It was Seasons 5-9 that were shown during that time and they were shown as Make Room For Daddy.
Thanks
Neil Brock said:
I was pretty sure they showed the Hagan episodes during the run on NBC daytime in the early 60s. When I get a chance, I'll pull out a few TV Guides and check. When it started running, I don't think they would have enough Lord episodes for a 5-day strip.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
On the Cozi Channel through Dish Network I cannot find the airings of this show anymore, but judging from the posts here it's still on? And how come many of the series on Cozi through Dish carry the on screen bug for both Cozi And FETV? Is this a shared channel or is it only that way on Dish?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont have recall of hagen.

but i have recall of having recall of remembering the first wife, when danny was searching for a new one.

from the wiki, this ran from sept 53 to sept 64.

i was born in dec 54.

so i would not have any memory or original airing before lord.

the fact that i do, confirms that i saw the early seasons in syndication (in the los angeles area).

cuz i have very fond memories of mrfd.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I watched the reruns in the Los Angeles area in the 70's but I only saw Lord. I never knew there was a previous wife until the 5th season came out on DVD and they make reference to her in the first few episodes.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I have a couple old issues of TV Guide, so I decided to check.
I have Jan. 23-29, 1965 with Chuck Connors on the cover. It is a New York State edition.
Make Room for Daddy aired at 10:00am m-f
The descriptions indicate they are the Jean Hagen episodes and list her in a few of the credits.
For example: Margaret takes a job with a cosmetics firm. Margaret: Jean Hagen

Make Room for Daddy aired on channels 2, 3, 6, and 8.
3, 6, and 8 are NBC affiliates, but 2 is an ABC affiliate according to their channel guide in the front.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Saw it in reruns up thru the early 70s on the local station they ran from 1-9 seasons with both Lord and Hagen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.