What's new

Make Room For Daddy on Cozi TV - Season 10! (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi joe,

it seems like most shows have a few discrepancies between filming and airing.

but it seems to me that if a show decides to air one episode first, even though there is another unaired episode that is already finished, there must be a reason !!

such that watching in the original airing order would be preferable most of the time ?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Unless a given episode was preempted at the last minute, you usually want to see most shows in air-date order. Often filming occurs out of order for reasons that have nothing to do with presentation, such as a guest-star's availablity. Case in point: The I LOVE LUCY double-parter with Van Johnson in one and Harpo Marx in the other. It was shot out of order due to scheduling the guest stars and used to always run out of order in syndication as a result.

Many times a new show will move stronger episodes to the front and bury weaker ones to later in the season in order to maximize audience gain. THE BOB NEWHART SHOW moved its weaker pilot to mid-season and opened with a much stronger episode.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I thought that there was another season after this one so 63-64 is the end of the series?? Thought it went until 65

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
To jimmyjet: I almost always prefer the order they were shown, not the order they were filmed. Rob_Ray points out the classic example with "I Love Lucy"'s Season 4 Johnson and Marx episodes. That two-part story was always shown out of order in syndication, and it seems none of the people "in charge" (whoever they were) knew or cared.

For "The Danny Thomas Show"'s Season 11, apparently they filmed "The Country Squires" first, to start the stories about buying a house in the country, but started the season with a "regular" episode about Rusty starting to drive a car and held off the country house show until the fifth week.

However, one complication is when a show is preempted due to breaking news or as happened Nov 22-25, 1963, a big national tragedy. So to be absolutely correct, I like the order not "as they were shown," but "as they were intended to be shown."

To AlanP: As for Season 12 -- the reference books will say that "The Danny Thomas Show"'s last day on CBS was September 6, 1965, but that's because it was brought back to the network schedule in April of 1965 as a replacement for the flop series "Many Happy Returns." All the episodes shown in 1965 were reruns.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I think all this obsessing over why certain seasons aren't released without knowing the actual facts is a bit ridiculous.

The fact is that rights issues are tremendously complicated (I work in this area) even if some seasons of the show itself are possibly in the public domain and just clearing the rights is quite complex and costly. It's likely that both ABC, which aired the first few seasons and CBS, which aired later seasons, still retain some rights along with some of the syndication companies which later gained rights. The fact is that we don't know what rights the family still owns, if any.

Contracts today generally have a clause that states, "in any and all media, both that known today and that which will be developed in the future". But in the days that this show was produced, contracts generally only detailed TV network rights, syndication rights and perhaps international rights. And there's always someone who was either an actor on the show or movie, or may have been a musician playing on the score, who claims that they never signed away home video or digital rights and sues over it.

So it's not just some executive or family member who's "being mean" by not releasing a season. It's far more complicated than that. And almost no one wants to invest in public domain material, because if it becomes even remotely successful, someone else can put it out as well.

On a side note, it's been claimed that when Francis Ford Coppola was developing "The Godfather", Paramount wanted Danny Thomas to play Don Corleone. Praise the heavens that Coppola insisted upon Brando.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi joe,

when shows were cancelled because of jfk or some other reason, why would they not just simply show that episode the next time the show went back on the air ?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
jimmyjet said:
hi joe,

when shows were cancelled because of jfk or some other reason, why would they not just simply show that episode the next time the show went back on the air ?
I'm not Joe, but, for one thing, press announcements publicizing a given week's programming was sent out to TV Guide and all the various newspapers and television affiliates weeks in advance. Local newspapers didn't merely announce what programs were on what station like today, they give detailed information with plot summaries and guest stars, information that was fed to them several days before airing.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I remember as a kid coming home from school and the Jean Hagan and Marjorie Lord episodes were on everyday. Meaning they showed the entire series I think it was on CBS network in the afternoons...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
jimmyjet said:
hi joe,

I think Rob_Ray has this exactly right. TV Guide, which was for sale about a week in advance, would have already listed the next episode, so I guess the networks felt they were "stuck" with it. The week after that, TV Guide would have the postponed episode listed, and at the bottom say: "Postponed from an earlier date."

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
AlanP said:
I remember as a kid coming home from school and the Jean Hagan and Marjorie Lord episodes were on everyday. Meaning they showed the entire series I think it was on CBS network in the afternoons...
NBC showed daytime reruns of the Hagen years in the early 1960s. I don't remember the entire series ever being on in syndication. And I have more to say .......................... coming right up.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
zoetmb said:
I think all this obsessing over why certain seasons aren't released without knowing the actual facts is a bit ridiculous.

On a side note, it's been claimed that when Francis Ford Coppola was developing "The Godfather", Paramount wanted Danny Thomas to play Don Corleone. Praise the heavens that Coppola insisted upon Brando.
Well, since "to obsess" over something is defined as "to preoccupy or fill the mind continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent," I do want to go on record as saying I'm not "obsessing" over this. I'm wondering, or speculating, or curious -- hardly obsessing.

And it's not ridiculous, not even a bit. There has to be a reason that this very successful series is such a mess now, and I'd like to know the reason -- but I haven't tossed and turned all night or gotten sick over it!

I think one Paramount executive was a friend of Danny Thomas and suggested his name at one meeting. I doubt it was ever taken seriously.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
They ran an episode where Rusty was remembering a doll that Linda had when she was two years old. Which would be a pretty neat trick considering he didn't know Linda when she was that age as she was with her mother, Kathy and her real father! It was several years later when Kathy hooked up with Danny that Rusty got a step-sister. So much for continuity.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
They ran an episode where Rusty was remembering a doll that Linda had when she was two years old. Which would be a pretty neat trick considering he didn't know Linda when she was that age as she was with her mother, Kathy and her real father! It was several years later when Kathy hooked up with Danny that Rusty got a step-sister. So much for continuity.
Poor Script editing, or they just didn't care! :)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Neil Brock said:
Actually, I read somewhere -- don't remember where exactly -- that at some point, probably after Terry Version 2 left the series, which puts it after the 1959-60 season -- they decided to just have it that Danny and Kathy were always married -- there was no Margaret (or Terry, either) -- and Kathy was Rusty's mother and Danny was Linda's father. I'm not sure how they got away with this, but they might have felt people didn't take sitcoms seriously, and certainly no one would still be discussing this in 2014! (But here we are ...)

There's nothing unique about this in television land. For instance, we were just supposed to accept that Darrin Stephens suddenly had a new face and voice in 1969. Or that Little Ricky aged two or three years between Season 5 and Season 6.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Of course it could have been worse continuity wise. If the show had gone the Doris Day route, by the end Danny would have become a bachelor and the show would be called "Make Room For Danny!" :)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
that makes sense - the originally scheduled episode would air the next time tv guide did not already have itself ready to go.

so in most cases, it was not postponed for too long.

in most cases, this probably would not make too much of a difference.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Ron Lee Green said:
By the way, did you ever figure out the mystery of the episode entitled, "That Old Feeling."??
Cozi aired it but its not on your list.
You were correct that it is obviously out of order because it is an episode that places Danny in New York before he returned from his European vacation.
Is it possible that it never aired in its original primetime schedule?
imdb.com lists it as: S10, Ep25 18 Mar. 1963 That Old Feeling Danny and Sid negotiate with songwriter Harry Ruby over the use of his songs in Danny's act.
My TV Guides show "That Old Feeling" airing on May 13,1963, with reruns beginning on May 20th.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Thanks, Larry! I checked my TV Guide for that week, and you're absolutely right. I trusted the Internet sites with Episode Guides when they said the season ended with the May 6 episode, and I forgot you should never trust what you read on the Internet (unless you or I say it, of course.)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Joe Lugoff said:
Thanks, Larry! I checked my TV Guide for that week, and you're absolutely right. I trusted the Internet sites with Episode Guides when they said the season ended with the May 6 episode, and I forgot you should never trust what you read on the Internet (unless you or I say it, of course.)
Of course there are a few times when you shouldn't even trust what you read in TV Guide. Back in the day, I remember their writeups being wrong on several occasions "due to circumstances beyond their control" to use the TV jargon of the day. For one obvious example, I wouldn't trust anything that appears in the TV Guide for the week following November 22, 1963.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.