What's new

Make Room For Daddy on Cozi TV - Season 10! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to bring something to everyone's attention that may be helpful if you want the complete episodes of Season 5.

I'm sure most of you are aware that a company called Questar released Season 5 on DVD a few years ago and did a really bad job of it mainly because ⓵ they used the edited, syndicated versions and without disclosing that on the outside of the box. Other errors they made were: ⓶ not putting the opening credits on each episode - they only included them once, at the beginning of the each disc, not episode, ⓷ the running order on the DVDs was not always in the order that they aired.

They also made a big deal out of their release being "authorized by the Thomas family". I'm not exactly sure what that really means, but if it means what it sounds like to most people, then the Thomas family should be as ashamed of themselves as we were .....pissed off. I would discourage everyone from buying this Questar release brand new because, I guarantee you - if you do, you'll be encouraging other dreck companies to do the same, since ALL they care about are their trips to the bank. I bought my set without waiting and reading the reviews, which I'll never do again! Now, if you buy it USED, that's o.k. because Questar won't make any money off of it.....and, due to what I'm about to tell you and how you'll use this Questar set, it would be crazy, on your part, to even think about buying it new.
Questar went out of business at least a half dozen years ago so you're not putting anything in their pocket.

As for the edits, they did a whole new set of transfers for Cozi. ME-TV airs the old versions, which are the same as the DVDs. I have the episodes recorded from 1980s syndication, coming in at 22:15 and those are probably another different set of edits. It will all be moot when SFM makes these available as BODs in their complete form soon anyway.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Regarding differences in edits mentioned a few posts above: back in the 1980s, MRFD was airing on Nick At Nite nationally, and on a local Chicago station (WGBO-Channel 66 before they went Spanish IIRC). I wasn't a regular viewer, but a friend who was a big fan of the show told me the same thing: that they were both edited, but in different places.Just throwing that out there. I don't know if that means there are two versions of the package with different edits, or one edited and one not, which a channel then edited on their own, or who knows?

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Neil Brock said:
It was all pretty much spelled out in his autobiography, Make Room For Danny. But as I recall, they just didn't get along personally or professionally. He felt that since they really didn't get along, that it showed on screen via a lack of chemistry. Also, she would come to rehearsals dressed very casually which also annoyed him. Finally, she was much more of a well known star than he was when the show started and he felt that her leaving could have ended the series, which probably accounts for the lingering animosity towards her.
Side note, considering the alleged animosity Thomas held for Hagen that she'd get a guest shot on the Andy Griffith show a few years later... Yes, TAGS wasn't under Thomas' control but was spun off of Make Room 4.... I wonder if Sheldon Leonard wanted to give Thomas a little stinger by hiring her...

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Neil Brock said:
⓵ Questar went out of business at least a half dozen years ago so you're not putting anything in their pocket.

⓶ It will all be moot when SFM makes these available as BODs in their complete form soon anyway.

Both of the your above comments are GOOD news!

Can you give more details on the 2nd one. I sure wasn't looking forward to doing the edits myself. I'm actually below the Novice level for doing non-linear editing.

So, a company that deals mainly with syndicated programs can get a hold of the complete, UNedited episodes?.....hmmmm, I'm just a little suspicious. Even if they could, would they care enough about their customers to do so?

Did they say which seasons they will be releasing?

I hope they will be able to get better quality prints of the episodes. The current ones on COZI sure aren't anything to brag about. It seems to me that the network that originally broadcasts a TV series, always has the best quality masters. Even that "Beverly Hillbillies" producer (name ?) apparently didn't have as good of quality copies as Paramount when he released, on his own, Season 1+ of the series, and he produced (or directed ?) the show!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The Paul Henning estate had an archive of Beverly Hillbillies episodes, but they were in 16mm. Not bad, but blown out of the water when compared side by side with the 35mm masters under Paramount's control. It all depends on what materials survived, how well they were maintained, under whose control they are and whether their custodians are willing to release them.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
shoeshineboy said:
considering the alleged animosity Thomas held for Hagen that she'd get a guest shot on the Andy Griffith show a few years later...

As mentioned in the other, ongoing TDTS thread, Jack Elinson told me in 2000 (at Mayberry Days in Mt. Airy NC) that Danny made a point to visit Jean on the GRIFFITH set that week in 1962, and their meeting/reunion was warm and friendly. Whatever disagreements they had several years earlier, they were forgotten.

As story editor/writer/producer for much of TDTS' run, and writer of Jean's guest episode "Andy and the Woman Speeder," I consider Mr. Elinson's account to tell the story.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Brent S said:
As mentioned in the other, ongoing TDTS thread, Jack Elinson told me in 2000 (at Mayberry Days in Mt. Airy NC) that Danny made a point to visit Jean on the GRIFFITH set that week in 1962, and their meeting/reunion was warm and friendly. Whatever disagreements they had several years earlier, they were forgotten. As story editor/writer/producer for much of TDTS' run, and writer of Jean's guest episode "Andy and the Woman Speeder," I consider Mr. Elinson's account to tell the story.
Sorry, not aware that MRFD, or TDTS, had a 2nd thread.Thanks for the info!

(although after searching 10 pages back, no sign of that other thread... Obviously too much time on my hands! [and yes, i know there's a search function!])

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Am watch it now on Cozi and it seems Terry just disappeared not in credits anymore or mentioned?? Still in first season with Kathy. Thought she was around until the middle of 58-59??

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
She was, her last appearance is the season 6 episode 'Terry Goes Steady' from Fall 1958.

Kathy proposes to Danny in the season finale of season 4 in the spring of 1957, then they're on their honeymoon with the season opener for season 5 that Fall. She then disappears early into season 6.

According to IMDB, she's in 12 season five episodes and that one season six episode. Not sure what the proper credits should be. She might've been considered a guest star at this point when she does appear, with her name otherwise left out.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just wanted to thank the people here in this thread. I am a huge I Love Lucy Fan and I have been waiting for the Make Room For Lucy as I call it episode on DTS show and knew it would air tonight. I recorded it and then pulled out my DVD transfer from the old VHS tape which I bought many years ago at MEDIA PLAY. I was shocked at the edits that cozi had made. There are so many I will only name the footage that was not on my PD DVD that cozi did contain. The Russians would love to get the plans for Lucy a comic bit with Ricky and Danny. The award to Ethel Mertz in Orbacks Department Store a comic bit with Lucy and Kathy. I noticed also the wide screen on my DVD includes footage cut out of narrow screen version on cozi. I only saw Orbacks once in one shot but on my DVD it is all there which also shocked me.

I thought I had read early in this thread about such things. Everyone is right you put the cozi which has many edits but a few moments that are not on the PD with your PD copy and you have a complete show. I had to follow of course with the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour Make Room For Danny episode.

I have yet to catch the episode on METV but from what is said here it must be the same as my PD copy. I also was surprised that my PD copy did not look that bad.

ME airs it here in Chicago at 4:30 AM.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Went from hoping to see Time Warner Cable add Cozi alongside their existing offering of Me-TV, to instead losing Me-TV as of next Monday. :wacko: Time to cut the cable cord, I think.

Time also to do some research I guess on satellite options and see if there's a reasonable option there that gives me these two channels along with Turner Classic Movies (Which is basically the only thing I'll be watching now if I stick with Time Warner).

Thank Heavens for DVD and other home video formats where I'm the master of my own programming, and publishers like SFM (Assuming they release season 4-11 of Make Room for Daddy, that is).

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jimmy my PD VHS tape which I transferred to DVD has almost all the material but the two comic bits that I pointed out that were in the cozi episode which was heavily edited. Just as they say here put the two together or I could insert the two comic bits and rerecord my VHS tape with them in it on to DVD and then I would have the entire show.

Hope this makes sense.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Mark Collins said:
Just as they say here put the two together or I could insert the two comic bits and rerecord my VHS tape with them in it on to DVD and then I would have the entire show.
Well, Mark, if you can find Season 6 of MRFD that was released by S'More Entertainment on DVD a few years back, you would have the complete, UNedited versions without having to edit them yourself.

It's worth trying to find. The episodes on this release usually run 25:30 - 25:50 (approximately) including the beginning & ending credits. There might be 1 or 2 episodes that are not totally complete, but from my recollection, they're pretty much all complete.

The video quality is acceptable (or a little better) - they look a little grainy on my 32" 720HD TV, but for standard definition, they are sharp and clear (not "soft" looking), however, they are not even close in quality to the standard definition releases of Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, Sgt. Bilko, Dick Van Dyke, etc. from Paramount., but, again, still worth getting!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Well, Mark, if you can find Season 6 of MRFD that was released by S'More Entertainment on DVD a few years back, you would have the complete, UNedited versions without having to edit them yourself. It's worth trying to find. The episodes on this release usually run 25:30 - 25:50 (approximately) including the beginning & ending credits. There might be 1 or 2 episodes that are not totally complete, but from my recollection, they're pretty much all complete. The video quality is acceptable (or a little better) - they look a little grainy on my 32" 720HD TV, but for standard definition, they are sharp and clear (not "soft" looking), however, they are not even close in quality to the standard definition releases of Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, Sgt. Bilko, Dick Van Dyke, etc. from Paramount., but, again, still worth getting!
I watch on my standard def. 4x3 35 inch tube set and they look great!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
jetskier said:
Well, Mark, if you can find Season 6 of MRFD that was released by S'More Entertainment on DVD a few years back, you would have the complete, UNedited versions without having to edit them yourself.

It's worth trying to find. The episodes on this release usually run 25:30 - 25:50 (approximately) including the beginning & ending credits. There might be 1 or 2 episodes that are not totally complete, but from my recollection, they're pretty much all complete.

The video quality is acceptable (or a little better) - they look a little grainy on my 32" 720HD TV, but for standard definition, they are sharp and clear (not "soft" looking), however, they are not even close in quality to the standard definition releases of Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, Sgt. Bilko, Dick Van Dyke, etc. from Paramount., but, again, still worth getting!

Hey Jetskier thanks for the tip. I just wanted the Lucy episode but that is great info you provided.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Just a heads-up.....

COZI will start running Season 10 episodes again on Friday, Nov. 21st @ 5:00 and 5:30 PM in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and probably nationally also.

They're starting with Episodes #1 and #2.

Users who are viewing this thread