1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Make a celebrity disappear" machine

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Feb 14, 2006.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

Man, if one of those machines could be invented, who would you like to wipe from the headlines?

Personally, I'm getting sick and tired hearing about Tom Cruise and Britney Spears.

Any others?

p.s. Yes there's a typo in the title. I wish we could edit these things after posting. [​IMG]

2. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Well-Known Member

Actually, most of the people these days that make the cover of TOO many magazines. I'd like to see someone new and fresh on the covers of the entertainment magazines, rather than, "Jennifer Aniston [insert hysterical reaction here] when she heard the latest about Brad and Angelina."

Yeah, they're beautiful. But how's about some new faces on the covers?

I think your "Celebrity Disappearing Machine" may be our only hope Mark - please keep us updated on your progress with the manufacture of this wondrous device!

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm
    There's far too many to choose from. I'd probably burn out the circuits before I got halfway through my list. [​IMG]

I'd probably start with Russell Crowe, or perhaps Will Ferrell.

4. David Williams

David Williams Well-Known Member

Excellent start! [​IMG]

I'd follow with TomKat and Brit & K Fed.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    OPRAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Well-Known Member

My relatives all know I'm into movies, but they automatically assume I give a shit about the personal lives of celebs. It drives me nuts when they ask me what I think about the latest celeb gossip. Any celebs who's personal lives get more press than their careers (Cruise, Spears, Lohan, etc).... well, your machine would work out perfectly. [​IMG]

7. andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy Well-Known Member

Anyone famous solely for:

(1) being on a reality TV show
    (2) winning a TV talent contest
    (3) famous solely for being filmed or photographed naked
    (4) living a rich pampered lifestyle
    (5) behaving badly

I blame the modern media. The need for 24 hour news means that something has to fill up the spaces and rather than learning about what's really going on in the world, we are bombarded with an endless supply of fluff. Thirty years ago things were different. You could still find out about the lives of the rich and famous, but it was confined to the sort of magazine or TV programme only watched by airheads. Now stupidity has gone mainstream.

8. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Well-Known Member

While there are celebrities I find loathsome or at least monumentally unappealing, I'd rather make readers of People/Us/tabloids disappear. There'd be no coverage if there wasn't money in it.

Why anyone thinks they have a right to invade someone else's privacy solely because the second person has a public job is beyond me. Would THEY want someone photographing them going to the grocery store, coughing, or falling asleep, and then have those pictures published?

Ugh. Sorry for the threadjack. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

Michael, I don't think you've threadjacked...

It's the public demand for these celebs that makes the photos so valuable. If these people didn't but the magazines, there'd be no reason to pay so much for "exclusive" photos.

I think I'll also need to develop a machine that makes tabloid purchasers disappear. [​IMG] Oh yeah! Another great one! Boo Hoo for the celebrity break ups.

I was in line with a friend and we saw this magaizine that had the "Boo Hoo for Jennifer" type headline. My friend was like "I feel so bad for her"

Come on! She's Jennifer Aniston! It's not like she's a nobody and is going to sit at home alone for the next 5 years, praying that another man will come into her life.

10. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

While I agree with the absurdity and irrelevancy of all the breathlessly screaming "read the latest about celebrity X!" headlines, I already have such a machine, and so does everyone else who chooses to use it. It's in your head. Just ignore the presence of the nonsense at the checkout line.

11. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Well-Known Member

I'm the first one to mention Jessica Simpson? Shocking...

So there really are people demanding Jessica Simpson photos? And they really want to know what's happening with her day-to-day scripted life? Well, to each his own...

Being slightly cynical, I predict that Nick and Jessica will (as soon as the "scandal" of the current break up and their subsequent dating activities dies down) realize that they were meant for each other and get back together. Gee, wouldn't that make for a great weekly series?

Ugh.

12. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Well-Known Member

Awesome idea Mark...and I'm with you on Jennifer Aniston. People who reach that level of fame can't do so without a monumental level of narcissism. I firmly believe that most everything that makes it into the media for these people has some premeditation.

It kind of pisses me off when I hear someone saying "poor Jennifer" or "poor Nicole" or "poor anyone famous" for that matter, and it has nothing to do with their finances. (I.e. they're rich...what are they whining about) Maybe they're the victims...maybe they are unbelievably demanding bitches. Maybe Jennifer, Brad, Angelina, Nicole, Tom and Katie are all egotistical a**holes and they all deserve the crap they get themselves into with relationships. None of us will ever really know and that's the thing with all of this. People read all of this crap and think they have the slightest clue what these people are really like.

I used to give a rat's ass...not anymore, except for the frustration factor. I hear coworkers tittering and oo-ing and ah-ing about the celebrity headlines and it makes me a little sick. All I see when I look at the magazine covers and the ET type tabloid shows is, "Look at me.....and go see my movie or buy my book...or better yet...just send the cash directly to me!!"

edited for spelling

13. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Well-Known Member

Paris Hilton.

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it took 13 posts to list Paris. I'd zap her, but make sure her purse stayed behind. I could use a little shopping spree myself. [​IMG]

15. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Well-Known Member

I would ZAP everybody associated with DANCING WITH THE STARS.

I barely watch television beyond the news, and yet somehow I STILL friggin' seem to know who did what on this ferkakteh show! [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Well-Known Member

The sad answer is yes. If there wasn't money to be made from it - i.e., if people weren't buying this crap - it wouldn't be around.

18. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Well-Known Member

In addition to all the other fine choices listed above, I'd aim it at any non-animated celebrity with the last name SIMPSON.

EDIT: Well, I see the lovely Jessica Simpson has in fact been mentioned above. I'll think of someone really annoying to post later.

19. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Well-Known Member

what andrew markworthy said.

i feel i know way too much about celebrity lives, and apart from the simpsons and lost, i watch less than 1 hour of tv a month. i couldnt possibly care less about celeb lives, but occasionally things will sneak in. i may hear about something on the radio, or maybe i'll overhear a conversation about who impregnated who. it's impossible to block out everything, but i do my best.

CJ

20. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Well-Known Member

Paul McElligott
    I wouldn't get rid of the celebs, just the Darwinian rejects who make up the audience for tabloid gossip. Frankly, I couldn't give a crap if [Insert Celebrity Here] is involved in a polygamous relationship with a flock of Canada Geese.