What's new

Major issue with DIY speaker (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I have assembled my first pair of speakers and they do not sound the way I expected or want. They sound very thin and non-robust.

Here is the link to my speaker thread.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=233515

Here is the story

Basically I am using a 5.5 inch (Silverflute W14RC2508 8 ohm) woofer with an FS of 44hz and a QTS of .35 with a one inch domed tweeter (Peerless 80DT2608 ). They are used in an 11L box with a prot tuned to about 55 hz The xover was designed at 3000 hertz, in a second butterworth configuration using a 4.7uF cap and a .62mH inductor. All parts are purchased from Solen in Quebec.

The capacitors are Solen FAST CAPACITORS METALLIZED POLYPROPYLENE 250Vdc/150Vac PA470 4.7mF.

The inductors are Solen HEPTA-LITZ AIR CORED INDUCTORS PERFECT LAY HEXAGONAL WINDING L16 1.21 mm Ø (7 x .40 mm) 16 AWG (7 x 26 AWG) L16.62 .62 mH .36 14x29x57.

My comparison speakers are the ones I am trying to replace which are a pair of Paradigm Atoms. The sound difference is overwhelming an not in a good way. My speakers sound very thin. They sound a lot like satelite speakers. The confusing part is, is that there is some low bass in the 50to 90 Hz range, but there seems to be a lull in the 100 to 300 hz range where a lot a music and voice is.

My comparison method is hooking up on channel to my speaker and have a pair of jumpers to connect and disconnect the Atoms to see what my speaker is missing.

Originally I had the full 2nd order xover installed and the sound was so quiet and dull compaired to the Atom.

When listening to different scenes in LOTR EE editions, I am missing so much information. When a booming voice echos in a hall, my speakers, they only seem to play the booming voice and misses out on the echo. The main ththing that seems to be missing is depth of the musical score.

So I decided to simply try a first order. It helped a little and boosted to overall sound, but I was still missing the above mentioned sound info.

Has anyone ever experienced this before. Please help.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Can you post the schematic? .62mH on the woofer sounds small, probably needs a lot more baffle step compensation and tweeter padding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks