What's new

Main speakers..should it be 'small' (1 Viewer)

;) hi guys..it been quite a time i'm follow this forum..very informative and peace:D ... currently this is my HT setup

Marantz Sr4300
Main RL Rogers PS7
Center and surround : Axis ( australia )
Subwoofer : Rogers 12" (active)
DVD player : Pioneer 266
Tv : Philip 29" 100hz flat screen

just want to ask the oppinion about the LFE signal to the sub..should if turn all the others speaker to the 'small' mode in other all the LFE signal to be driven by the sub..currently my setup is 'large' to the main and at the receiver for the 'bass preference' i have set it up for 'bass both' meaning that all the LFE signal will go to the sub and othe speaker set to 'large'...thanks in advance.

Tim K

Second Unit
Unless you have REALLY large mains....with built in subs...I would set your speakers to SMALL. If you set any to LARGE your sub will ONLY get the LFE (the .1 in 5.1) signal. If set to SMALL your receiver's internal crossover will split low frequency signals between your sub and mains.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
The THX recommendation is to set all speakers to small which is what I do. My Outlaw Audio 950 Pre/Pro documentation also suggested this.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I think you need to check out the spec's for your mains before making any changes. If your speakers are full range (20-20khz) then setting them to large is fine. If they are not, then set them to small.

ok guys..tq for the advice...i'll check the freq respond for the main:b ...by the way i'm currently i biwired my main and it sound a bit 'oumph' then before...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
If your speakers are full range (20-20khz) then setting them to large is fine.
be careful there. i *very* seriously doubt any main speaker (even a really good one) can truly get down to 20hz ... even if the documentation says it does. after all, 20hz of distortion still sounds like crud.

if you have a sub, why make your mains work harder then they need to? set them to small and make the sub do the work it was designed to do.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm not Ted, but I think he will agree with me if I say: no. If it's fine now (and you even like it better), leave the wiring as it is, please.

There will still be low frequencies going to your mains!

Cees

Frank-G

Auditioning
Aries,

What is bi-wired and what advantage does it have over conventional wiring?

I looked for bi-wired in the glossary but didn't find anything... ;)

Thanks,

Frank

Frank-G

Auditioning
Thanks for the link! I have a lot to learn...

I plan on building a new small to medium HT in the next couple of months.

Frank

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Cees,

Thanks for directing people to that link for further elaboration concerning bi-amping vs. bi-wiring. I am in the passive bi-amping mode [pre-amp to two daisy chained amps to the dual inputs per speaker via separate speaker wires]. I thought my set-up was active bi-amping when it wasn't the case. I've also construed passive bi-amping being the same as bi-wiring which was untrue. Passive bi-amping does produce significant improvement over single connections. :) I recommend this highly as sound quality is much more cleaner and defined. The drawbacks being that there is the costs associated with extra speaker wires, cabling and another amp to be taken into account. Just my thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks