What's new

mail order vs local dealers? (1 Viewer)

JasenJ

Agent
I see many people on this site recommend various mail order web sites to buy equipment from. I've always thought that using a local dealer who you can pester with questions, see, touch, and try equipment before buying, and consult with problems after purchase is a better policy.

Opinions?

- Jasen.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Local is better, for the reasons you say. Plus you get warranty with local dealers. Most online stores don't have much warranty, if any at all. Online stores are usually cheaper. That's why most people deal with them. But once they have trouble, they wish they had used a local dealer...............

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
agree with ed. if price is your primary concern, then mail-order is the way to go.

but, if you require any kind of personalized service, you're better off with a b&m.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's a tough question and I'm not sure there's any easy answers. Often the extra cost is worth it especially in situations where one has a problem with a piece of equipment in which case your local place just might help you out with a loaner. Also, when you do have to return something via mail, the costs can be signficant.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The differences are getting less and less as time goes by.

The auditioning is fairly important.

Some on here have posted about starting a Demo network.

Somehow registering with a service that could hook up potential equipment purchasers with people who own and have the equipment setup and running to perform a Demo.

Could be a scary proposition though. Allowing people you don't know into your home for a Demo. I do it now for people though. I cannot even speculate on the number of friends of friends of friends that have come by to checkout the NFL games in HDTV since my upgrade.

I think I even converted a die hard BOSE guy this past weekend. lol I demo'd Jurassic Park for him.

ty_diaz

Agent
Jasen,
I have purchased my items online. If you have the knowledge on the type of product that you may be interested in, you may find a better deal online.

However if you are not too familiar with the products, setups or requirements, a local dealer would be the first stop.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

What I see most often recommended online, are online ONLY brands, such as Axiom, SVS, Rocket, etc etc. As they do not have a dealer base (except axiom in canada only, as far as i know), you MUST purchase these items directly.

*MOST* other brands do not sell via online, or mail order, for many of the reasons listed. As an owner of equipment purchased from a mix of local dealer, and online (SVS), I see the advantages to both.

Jim-L

Auditioning
To add to the last comment by Chris. Several online brands are recommended commonly on various HT boards. The reason is that the have great products are very good prices and typically have a very good return policy. For example, you can try our Rockets and Axiom's for 30 days and return them for a refund if you don't like them. Secondly, many of these companies as mentioned by Chris have exceptional customer service. You will also see that some of the owners/management of these companies will participate on the online forums and answer questions from customers.

The good thing with the internet is that you can get alot of information on the companies and products. If an online company screws around with its customers, you will definately hear the complaints online. Take a look at the Bravo D-1 from V inc. You will get plenty of information on the AVS board as to the issues with the product and the communications people had with the company. Based on this information, people could decide if they wanted to take the risk or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks