What's new

Magnum PI S3 Announced (R2) (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Magnum P.I.: Complete Season 3 Box Set (6 Discs) on 21/11/2005

http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?p...=57&g=72&pa=sr

Hawaii's foremost, moustache-wearing, private investigator returns for another season of Magnum P.I.

Thomas Magnum, a former Naval Officer in Vietnam, lives in the guest house of - strangely absent - millionaire author Robin Masters, on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. However, he finds himself forever under the watchful eye of Higgins, ex-British Army and estate manager. In exchange for testing the estate's security, he gets plenty of perks fore his Private investigation gig including driving Masters' 308 GTS Ferrari and hitching a ride with the 'Island Hoppers' in their swish helicopter.

The villains of Hawaii better watch out when Magnum's on the prowl!

Episodes comprise:

1. Did You See the Sunrise? (1)
2. Did You See the Sunrise? (2)
3. Ki'is Don't Lie
4. The Eighth Part of the Village
5. Past Tense
6. Black on White
7. Flashback
8. Foiled Again
9. Mr. White Death
10. Mixed Doubles
11. Almost Home
12. Heal Thyself
13. Of Sound Mind
14. The Arrow That is Not Aimed
15. Basket Case
16. Birdman of Budapest
17. I Do?
18. Forty Years From Sand Island
19. Legacy From a Friend
20. Two Birds of a Feather
21. ...By Its Cover
22. The Big Blow
23. Faith and Begorrah

Can't wait :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I hope it gets released soon in R1. I know this'll probably be the set affected by music replacement, but I think I'll have to overlook it. I'm mainly curious as to how they'll handle the crossover with Simon & Simon. We have the complete crossover already on season 1, so will they give it to us again, or will the one in the set be the syndicated version?

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you think this'll be the set affected by music replacement? I'm a fan of the show, but I'm not familiar enough to follow your reasoning.

As for Simon and Simon, do you suppose they could give us some kind of seamless-branching option to watch either version?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I'm not sure exactly which season it happens, but popular music becomes much more prevalent in later seasons. Nothing in Universal's TV on DVD history suggests they'll get the music cleared.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I am going to be majorly peeved if I have to stop buying this show. bloody Universal. Quantum Leap stopped at season 1.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I'm sure some will be pissed that I even brought it up so soon, but it's something to keep in mind. I'd almost say to expect it. Miami Vice seems to be the only exception, and it's too early to say even there. After all, as Edward pointed out, Quantum Leap S1 was okay.

I was more familiar with Quantum Leap and couldn't take the music replacement, but I'll just have to overlook it with Magnum. Music was replaced in Quincy, and it wasn't extremely noticeable. I think it was just about every time Quincy was in Danny's, but I don't have a way of knowing what the music was supposed to be there. It really does change the mood when they do this, though.

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't really pay attention to the music while watching Magnum on A&E, so I might not really notice replacements unless the music that ends up being used is REALLY out of place, like the generic instrumental crap supposedly used for Quantum Leap.

I actually appreciate you bringing it up so soon so I can wait for a review or two before buying this time (which I had not done with the previous releases).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish there was a resource that listed all of the songs linked with the episode in which they appear, like there is for Quantum Leap. The closest I know of is here:

http://www.magnum-pi.de/music.php

There was quite a bit of music in the show, but this list doesn't tell where too much of it can be found.

By the way, I'm listening to the original theme on that site. The well-known Magnum theme is a classic, but I love the original as well.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

I'm very interested in how they're going to handle this here in R2, the season 1 released here did NOT include the Simon & Simon crossover episode -- so I'm praying that they're considerate enough to include it on the upcoming season 3 release...

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I guess a R1 announced can't be far behind, I guess this means I'd better get the first 2 sets soon.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I'm very excited about the continuation of Magnum P.I., Miami Vice, & Knight Rider..

But my question is : Where is Simon & Simon & The Rockford Files??
:frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Simon & Simon hasn't even been mentioned, I don't think, but you don't have to worry about Rockford. It hasn't been announced, but it's part of the trailer at this site:

http://www.mcclouddvd.com/

Clips are shown, the theme is heard, the number of episodes in the season 1 box are listed, and cover art is even shown.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The most prevelant "popular" music in Season 3 was a generic cover band playing "Satisfaction" over and over during "Did You See The Sunrise?" Since it isn't the original artist, I'm guessing music clearances would be easier.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I remember John Denver during "Limbo" (end of season 7) and Genesis during season 8. There was also an episode with a Vietnam vet turned DJ but I forget what music they used and what season there was.

Other than that, I can't recall much in the way of popular music during the run of Magnum.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's good. Sometimes, a small amount of music can squeak by (or, at least, it becomes less of a distraction if only a little is replaced). For example, the A-Team S2 has a scene where the Police's original version of Roxanne plays on a radio and it is there on the DVD. A Joey Scarbury song plays in the last episode, and it's intact as well.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm kinda amazed that multitracks of the audio still exist that enable them to replace music! I mean it seems like some shows can't even find the original master videotapes, but they have no problems finding the audio if there's an expensive song that needs to be replaced!

More on topic, I am surprised that Did You See The Sunrise? wasn't a cliffhanger and a season opener. I skipped the first two seasons but this was a classic two parter... I might check this third season out.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sunrise was originally feature-length, and I'm certain that's how it'll be on the set. Universal's good about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks