What's new

Magnum PI complete series. (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I was just looking at my Simon & Simon season two set that was released by Shout Factory and the first disc does include the Magnum P.I. episode "Ki'Is Don't Lie" so I guess I do have it elsewhere.

The fourth disc of the original Magnum P.I. season one set also included "Echoes of the Mind" parts one and two featuring Sharon Stone but those can also be found on the first disc of season five.

Anyway... I guess I should look a bit more closely at the old sets before I get rid of them.

matprat

Grip
Real Name
Robin
The first season looks best. You know why? Because Universal remastered season 1 to HD quality and aired it on tv. I know it aired in HD in Germany for example. When i saw season 2, i could tell right away it wasn't remastered in HD. Though, one good thing is that it's in 480P, not interlaced. Like most shows are on DVD.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
That is too bad only season one was remastered. I suppose most of the time we are lucky to get most shows at all let alone remastered.

I am lagging behind and still on Season 1 but juggling too many shows currently. (I did move ahead and see the first part of the Murder She Wrote 2 parter) since I am on season 3 of that show.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Here is something I noticed on the season 7 opener, L.A. There are two small cuts containing an actress Magnum stumbles upon after he is chasing the guys who shot up his car. It happens at about the 30 minute mark. The DVD cuts him chasing the guys and running into this woman in her hot tub. She is later seen talking to reporters about the incident on the news. Both scenes last less than two minutes. The music edit is real bad if you watch closely.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Being the packrat that I am, I've tended to hang onto my DVDs even after getting the Blu-ray versions. With releases like The Twilight Zone, this has paid off over time.

I chose to just get the Magnum season sets as they came out on DVD. I'm very happy to have the complete Magnum/Simon crossover as this was how I had originally watched it back in the day, when one aired right after the other. And I'm happy to have the alternate version in the Season 3 set - but I prefer the original cliffhanger. Just flows better.

John L

Grip
Real Name
John
I'd rather have the complete uncut epsiodes instead of the syndicated ones on DVD. Some of the cuts are very distracting and upset the flow of some episodes.

I doubt Universal care as they are too cheap to even release captions on many of their film and TV titles.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Fabulous released the Magnum, PI bluray set in the UK. Which I would happily buy if it had subtitles or captions. Sadly it does not.
Any chance Universal will release it themselves for the US?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Mill Creek did a Magnum all-in-one, how many discs do you think it would have?

Quantum Leap had 5 or 6 episodes per disc, so that was 16 discs for four full 22 episode seasons and two for a short 9 episode season.

So, Magnum was 8 seasons... maybe 30-some discs?

Or they may put more than 6 episodes on a disc. It would be hard to tell.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Or they may put more than 6 episodes on a disc. It would be hard to tell.

The Charlie's Angels all-in-one from Mill Creek had more than 6 shows on some discs, especially in the second season's worth.

Exhibit A:

charliesangelsdisc5seasontwo.jpg

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Universal almost certainly won't release it in the US, but Mill Creek might.

That won't help me, if the Miami Vice and Knight Rider bluray sets don't have subs or captions Mil Creek wouldn't put them on Magnum. I have moderate hearing loss, I do have state of the art hearing aids but still can't watch movies or tv shows without subtitles or captions, I miss too much dialogue.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That won't help me, if the Miami Vice and Knight Rider bluray sets don't have subs or captions Mil Creek wouldn't put them on Magnum. I have moderate hearing loss, I do have state of the art hearing aids but still can't watch movies or tv shows without subtitles or captions, I miss too much dialogue.

Yeah, Quantum Leap didn't have them, either.

I don't need subtitles, but I do prefer that they're there, both for the fact that there are people who need them that get screwed out of rewatching these shows because they're not there, and because sometimes, no matter how good one's hearing might be, you have to go back to check what was said, and the subtitles make it easier to dope out what they said.

And British shows... yeah, they're speaking English, but they're not speaking American! :laugh:

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm hoping a complete series set will be just that. No edits to the L.A. episode as in the DVD release and a broadcast version of the finale Resolutions in lieu of the syndication two part version. The Knight Rider and Quantum Leap Blu Ray sets from Mill Creek have a mixture of network and syndication edits of two hour episodes. I have been bothered with an opening scene in the first season Digger Doyle show. A scene was shot day for night and processed as night for broadcast but has been mastered as day for DVD.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I've been watching some episodes I don't have memorized from so many repeat viewings today. I chose season 7's "Murder By Night" which is a period piece taking place in 1941. The credits are in B&W, while the story proper is in color. I've read online elsewhere that night of broadcast this was shown entirely in B&W, but syndication and DVD is color. I recall my first viewing in syndication in the late 80's still retained the B&W presentation. The show does not look good in color. Does anyone have the European bluray set to know how it is presented there?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I received the Fabulous blu ray set of Magnum yesterday and have been selectively watching episodes for any differences in the Universal sets. The season 7 opener "L.A." is intact as a two hour episode with no missing footage. The hot tub scene is there. It runs over 5 minutes longer than the Universal. "Murder By Night" still reverts to color after the credits. The Murder She Wrote crossover, "Novel Connection", has the stand alone ending where Magnum does not get arrested and the show wraps up at the estate. Universal set has the to be continued ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks