What's new

"Magnum P.I." Season 5? (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I guess I should start buying this series. Hopefully I can get season 1 for a decent price.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone pick this up yet? I was at Target and they didn't have it. I'll go to Best Buy this weekend. I want to use that $5 coupon from Season 4.

What I'm most interested in is if there is another coupon for Season 6, which might say something like "expires 6/30/2007", indicating an April release.

James@R

Second Unit

They include one, although it doesn't feature any cover art for Season 6. It's for $3 off and, actually, I believe it does expire on 6/30/07.

As for the set itself, the most notable difference is that the packaging has changed yet again. The cover art retains the same design as Season 4, but the inside is back to using the fold-out style of Season 1. The discs are also stacked. (I'm surprised they didn't keep the slimpaks, and simply include two discs per case.)

Another difference is that the discs slide out from the left, instead of the right (the way the first four sets did). So basically, if you have them arranged on a shelf, the spine is no longer the slipcover, but the inner packaging. I'm sure this is going to drive some collectors crazy. :D

(For those keeping score, this is the fourth time they have changed the packaging.)

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
James@R, thank you. Great to know that we won't have too long of a wait for Season 6.

I just hope I don't scratch my disks as I did with the Season 1 container.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Anything about "some music may differ" on the packaging? It'll be nice if we're five seasons in and haven't had to worry about that.

James@R

Second Unit

No, just a note that not all episodes are subtitled.

For those wondering about the episode arrangement, the final three discs each contain five episodes. (Disc 4 contains a two-parter, while Disc 5 includes a bonus episode from Season 6.)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Anyone know why they'd subtitle some episodes but not all? That's a major bummer for us with hearing loss.

Blimpboy

Agent
Real Name
Darin
I went to three different Walmarts and two Target stores. No one had it. It's clear they don't want to carry it. Same for Sam's Club. I was only able to get it at Best Buy. Is Magnum selling that poorly? I hope the full run is released.

RogerH

Supporting Actor

It just isn't Magnum, alot of the Universal sets lately have been harder to get around here. I had to buy The A-Team: Season 5 at HMV, which I never do.

James@R

Second Unit
I usually have trouble finding older shows unless I go to Best Buy. I doubt it's selling as well as a current show like Grey's Anatomy, but I'd be surprised if it didn't finish its run.

The fanbase is obviously supporting it, and unlike most shows, the final seasons contain some of the best episodes of the entire series.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Although I didn't buy it from Amazon.com I did notice last week that Magnum P.I. season 5 was for the week about the 60th most frequently purchased dvd (including movies). While I don't know how many units that is, or how long the strong sales will last, at least it is better than being the 400th best selling dvd.

Also, the previews on the first disk said that season 6 is "coming soon".

I also agree with the later seasons being of high quality. I think season 7 (the last 22 episode season) is the best of the entire series.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Mine finally arrived yesterday from Amazon. None of the stores had it in stock, so much for the coupon.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Damn I have to exchange my season 1 set as the dreaded freezing has started on the 3 episode :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks