What's new

magnavox Model #55P8288A - picture getting worse...started with three littl hashes (blue, green, yel (1 Viewer)

hellgate1981

Auditioning
Real Name
gregg
Hello All

My 54in vox may have seen too many hours......i love movies! I first noticed three three small hashes.....2-3 inches long....blue, green and yellow. Later I noticed there seemed to be too much blue ....really shows in dark scenes. Overall......getting a bit of a ghost on the images....but no blurred or double images......just color issues and a haziness.

I think I can fix this........but not sure what I should be fixing? I have read that the coolant may need to be changed........cleaning the mirrors may help......thought I heard a buzzing sound tonight and I read that may be the bulb....over all, the picture seems darker than it used to be.

This old beast is a joy to watch........except that it pops fairly often.........picture just blcaks out and snaps back on.......I suspect the analog circuitry cannot handle digital (dish).

Maybe time to let it die......but if I could do some cost effective repairs.... iwill gladly keep it. Any thoughts on the repair?

Regards-

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by hellgate1981

Sounds like you're better off getting a new TV. CRT-based sets like those do fade over time. Opening one up isn't recommended due to the potentially high voltages, etc. Unlike newer sets, there isn't one single bulb, there are three different CRTs (one red, one green, one blue). They are expensive to replace and that can only be done by a trained technician.

The ghosting may be fixable by yourself if it's simply a convergence issue. Check your manual and TV settings to see if there's a way to re-converge the picture. It won't solve all your problems, but it may help a bit.
/forum/thread/296743/magnavox-model...ee-littl-hashes-blue-green-yello#post_3646392

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks