What's new

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR ON BLU RAY OCT 9 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
It will be broadcast in the UK along with a documentary film in October.

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-beatles-magical-mystery-tour-revisited-doc-to-be-screened-with-film-uk

Release details - commentary by McCartney?! - http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BVV091435/

...and apparently a remixed songtrack as well.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That's good, I'd like to see it again, but not enough to buy the Blu-ray. Wow it's been 45 years since I saw it on the telly, Christmas 1967, I can't remember if it went out on Christmas day, I do remember my dad not being very impressed "what's this load of old rubbish". I had the EP (with booklet) for years 'till it was falling apart. I have the remastered CD of the LP version & still really enjoy it. All you need is love...& money in the bank & booze in the house!

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Being a lifelong fan, I'm in for this. I'm old enough to have bought Bealtes LPs in stores upon their initial release.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
JamesNelson said:
Being a lifelong fan, I'm in for this. I'm old enough to have bought Bealtes LPs in stores upon their initial release.
Stating the obvious, there is a difference between being into the Beatles' music versus loving everything they did. I re-watched MMT last year. I know that Paul McCartney hoped that the film might be re-appreciated at some point. I think not, as it still awful.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
rich_d said:
Stating the obvious, there is a difference between being into the Beatles' music versus loving everything they did. I re-watched MMT last year. I know that Paul McCartney hoped that the film might be re-appreciated at some point. I think not, as it still awful.
Are there no artists you admire whose lesser works nonetheless merit a place in your collection?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Billy Batson said:
That's good, I'd like to see it again, but not enough to buy the Blu-ray. Wow it's been 45 years since I saw it on the telly, Christmas 1967, I can't remember if it went out on Christmas day, I do remember my dad not being very impressed "what's this load of old rubbish". I had the EP (with booklet) for years 'till it was falling apart. I have the remastered CD of the LP version & still really enjoy it. All you need is love...& money in the bank & booze in the house!
My EP of MMT is still fairly mint. I like the music for MMT, but have never cared much for the movie. Maybe it's because I've only seen it in faded-print VHS versions. It will be interesting to see what it looks like on Blu.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
JamesNelson said:
Are there no artists you admire whose lesser works nonetheless merit a place in your collection?
Your point is taken. But just to be clear, I do have the MMT video in my collection that I picked up on the cheap.
I love the Beatles and I love the MMT album. But to purchase a hi-def video of that bit of nonsense? That to me is absurd. The story and 'acting' performances are not getting any better in hi-def. If I want to listen to the music I can listen to the album without seeing any appallingly bad 'concept' videos. If you haven't seen it and are curious about it, borrow it from some library and rent it. You can thank me later for not buying it. YMMV.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's looking very good, I've been listening to the remastered CD, EMI made a lovely job of it (as they did with all the albums). It looks like you get a copy of the booklet that came with the EP. The trailer's done its job, I'm tempted, but it is a glorified home movie. I'd buy Yellow Submarine first, but never Help, I remember that being awful.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll probably go for the collectors edition on this one. Not a great film by any means, but it has it's fun bits.

so this leaves "Help" and "Let It Be" still needing a release on Blu right?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by rich_d /t/323175/magical-mystery-tour-on-blu-ray-oct-9#post_3965299
Your point is taken. But just to be clear, I do have the MMT video in my collection that I picked up on the cheap.
I love the Beatles and I love the MMT album. But to purchase a hi-def video of that bit of nonsense? That to me is absurd. The story and 'acting' performances are not getting any better in hi-def. If I want to listen to the music I can listen to the album without seeing any appallingly bad 'concept' videos. If you haven't seen it and are curious about it, borrow it from some library and rent it. You can thank me later for not buying it. YMMV.
Apparently you're unaware of the fact that the Beatles' music producer Sir George Martin's son Giles has remixed the songs into 24-bit lossless 5.1-channel surround...THERE'S a reason for double-dipping into the BD format, as this has never been available to the Fab Four's music fans commercially.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Help! I would buy in a heartbeat

A Hard Day's Night needs a decent BD release, as the current (Canadian) release is 1080i from the DVD master.

Magical Mystery Tour........... if the price was right, I might bite.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I'm a first gen fan. I have the first issue vinyl (mono and stereo), the UK EP stereo and love the music. I never actually saw the film until 1975 or so since it was never broadcast in the US due to the poor response in the UK from the Boxing Day screening shown in black and white. I find the musical sequences not bad, the bus tour is quite underpar. But it's the bloody Beatles so I will have to get the Blu-ray.
The last official release by Apple was in 1988 on VHS and the source of that VHS demonstrated a pretty decent print. The have been several bootleg DVD releases since then from poor source material. The extras and the surround mix on this are actually more appealing than the film.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, there was a legit DVD release by (I believe) MPI. I have it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H /t/323175/magical-mystery-tour-on-blu-ray-oct-9#post_3965424

A Hard Day's Night needs a decent BD release, as the current (Canadian) release is 1080i from the DVD master.

Not to mention it's apparently OOP, at least it appears to be based on the outrageous prices people are asking for it on Amazon.

Unfortunately, it appears the MMT Blu will be 1080i as well (according to the specs posted on thebeatles.com).

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
My brother Ron did a restoration on this for Apple many years ago. He located and transferred from the original 16mm elements, magnetic audio and music multi-track masters. I believe clips were used in the Anthology project. The quality was sensational and the color looked better than the clips shown in that new promo.
I wonder what happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks