What's new

Magic Mouse announced (1 Viewer)

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
Michael, that is so weird that you are having problems with the swiping feature. That is the one issue that I have not had. I just barely move my fingers to the left or the right and it swipes. I wonder if you may have gotten a bad mouse. Did you use one at the Apple store before you bought yours? Just curious if you did, was it easier or more difficult. Also, did you download the update?

Don

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Downloaded the update Don, but no difference. We received five of them in the office yesterday, so I'll have to try another one next week.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just got mine this morning. Apparently they're flying off the shelves because the Apple store I went to just got their first shipment Friday and there was only 3 left before I bought mine. Love the minimalist packaging though. DL'd the driver, had very little experience with it but for what little I have used it for, I like it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not at all. I think that video is just a tad exaggerated. First he tried to open it the wrong way, ignoring the gray arrow on the tape which tells him which way he should try to open it. When I saw the gray arrow, it was a snap to peel off. Granted the second tape on the other side had no gray arrow (weird oversight) but when I tried the same bottom left to top right peel motion, easy as pie.
Took about 15 seconds to open. I think that video guy is a drama queen.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Actually I sort of agree with the point of that video. Compared to Apple's other product packaging, the Magic Mouse packaging is downright bizarre and, regardless of whether they used recycled plastic, it doesn't seem very "green" to me. No, it didn't take me as long to get the thing open, but there was a hefty amount of tape adhesive left on the bottom of the mouse that I had to rub off.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I had the same problem with the tape on the bottom. That adhesive did take a while to get off.

Don

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay I'll say it: I miss the side buttons.

Otherwise all is well with the Magic Mouse. I've set the tracking slider to max and have no problems with it. I like the swiping motions, and I like the feel of the mouse much better than the mighty mouse. Also, the scrolling is superior and I know I'll never need to clean the %$#$%# trackball again!!!

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I finally gave up. I came home today and now the mouse doesn't want to work again. I try to scroll and it takes about 3 seconds to respond. I try to move the mouse across the screen and it shutters and lags. I have had enough of this. One minute it works and the next it doesn't. I am taking it back tomorrow. It just amazes me how this mouse went from working great to working like crap after the updates.

Don

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One final troubleshooting step I would recommend before you return your mouse (if you're interested in keeping it). Have you tried to download the .dmg file from Apple's website and reinstall it? Maybe something in your original install from Apple Software Update was corrupted?

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I downloaded the update from the Apple site yesterday hoping to fix some other strange issues. I can try uninstalling it 1 more time. This just feels like it needs a few more updates to really get it right. I have been doing more research online and the issues with this mouse are well documented. This is not a typical Apple product as I have never had this much trouble with an Apple product. I actually think either the updates have made it worse or I have a bad mouse.

Don

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I took it back this morning. They said there was something wrong with it but since they were out of stock they couldn't just replace it. I am going to try again later, after they come out with Windows 7 drivers. Looks like it is back to my trusty Logitech.

Don

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Like Ron, I use Logitech's MX Revolution. Tried out the Magic Mouse (hate the name. It reminds me of when I worked for Disney and everything was "magic." ugh.) in the store last week and didn't like it for one very low-tech reason.

It's too small.

Another nice Apple concept IMO that really works well only on the drawing board, at least for this big-handed user.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Two in the house, one unboxed and up and running. love it so far. Opening it was a LOT easier if you didn't cut the plastic but peeled it. #2 is in my laptop bg waiting for the first time I'm on the road, later this week.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As far as the magic mouse's functionality, I have zero problems.

I am experiencing the same thing as Bob_L though...I think it's too small. And my hands are not big. Or maybe small isn't the right word, but it isn't as "ergonomically appealing" to my hands as the Mighty Mouse was, or my current Logitech MX518 at home, and M500 at work. I also used a MS Intellimouse 4.0 and found that easy to use in an ergonomic sense.

It's only the Magic Mouse that is causing some discomfort after extended use. Maybe I need to become acclimated to it...just trying not to get carpal tunnel...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks