What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I honestly would see little point in upgrading the 950 if you were primarily an HT person, though......unless you were going to spend some serious cash.
AlanZ, I am 80/20, or maybe even 90/10, music/movies. My wife on the other hand is 80/20, movies/music. If I build a better HT in "MY" room then the VSX-54TX Elite / PRO-620HD Elite / DV-47Ai Elite / B&W 600 series x 6 / PC-Ultra that I currently have upstairs in the family room, where do you think she is going to want to watch her movies? in the family room or in a dedicated HT room consisting of hi-end gear including a 100"+ diagonal screen and 5 maggies and a couple of subs.!!!!
You see my problem...I need "MY" room to be for "MY" needs...the best music reproduction that I can afford!!

Alan M

Second Unit
"I'm glad you said reproduction rather than reproductive!! "
1st let me say,ROFL.
Now that I've stopped laughing,lol,ok,so maybe I havent.
:D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I wouldn't mind involving myself with reproduction......but for now I have to settle for good ol' fashioned fornication :D

Alan M

Second Unit
Its nice to know ,I'm not the only one who does mental gymnastics:D
Now,on to my IB sub research.Gah,the upgrade bug wont leave me alone.Anyone know if you can run an IB sub without over shadowing the Maggies? Thinking of a 12" Ib,not the monster 15's or 18's.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Hi Alan and other Maggie fans!!
I just wanted to post my 2-week update. I purchased the 2 MMGw's and MMGc.
I am running a XR50 amp by Panny that can do a 5ohm load. I was very hesitant at first and hope that my amp had enough UMPH to push these 4ohm speakers. I heard a lot of people complain that there amps shut off b/c of there amp's ohm's lacks. Well my amp was BLESSED!!! lol
While installing these speakers I really did not know if I wanted to put the center above or below the screen, or if I really wanted to mount the left and right on the wall next to the screen and setting them at what level.
So I decided to put my center below and knowing it had to be at least 10" away from the wall and that is what I did. Getthing some closet mount brackets and painting the glossy black all for less then $3.00 @ my local Home Depot :D.
As for the W's I had decided to set them not on the wall, but put them on my screen and since I had reinforced the DIY screen I used that end of my screen as studs to mount the W's. I had set them higher, but I felt that the sound was too high and was missing the audience sound level, so I put them on the lower side of the screen. Below I will share some pics.
As for break-in, These Maggies did need power!! And "AT" first I had to really crank them to get them to sound nice at a decent sound level.
My old setup which was the Ahena point 5 speakers I had a decent sound level at 28+ from my Panny receiver. When I sold them and got the Maggies, my listening level was at 18+ and the center channel at 2+ over 0.
While in the break in period I am now at 23+ on the volume and sounds awsome!! I also felt is sounded better while I had my left and rights at LARGE Speaker setting and Center channel at SMALL speaker setting. As for my rears I am just using my older Yamaha towers.
I must say I am truely feel like I am at a stage in my theater sound that these speakers are alive and for the money spent and the style I wanted, I am very very happy w/ my purchase.
Also keep in mind the W's worked out perfect b/c my amp hertz shut off is @ 100hz anyways. But while listening to music by like artists Soullive anr Ray soundtrack w/ the SUB-amp off I am stunnded on the sound I am getting. But I am more of a movie guy then a music guy. Thanks for reading my little review!
frontviewrearseat.jpg

lefttoright.jpg

Wow look MA, me got skinny speakers!! ;)
skinny.jpg

And this is a pic of my sectional seats broken down to a theater feel w/ back seats with risers. Keep in mind, I will be ordering some Coaster seats in the near future :) .
seating.jpg

Thanks

Alan M

Second Unit
Congrats Mike,

Welcome to the Maggie club.1st,I'll say,very nice setup you have.

Yes,the maggies require breakin,more so then other speakers I've owned.

Earlier in this thread ,I posted that I was running my MMGC at 150 crossover( I have seperate crossover freq. on the rears ,center and fronts).I am now crossing over the center only at 120 and I'm very pleased with it.

Maggies like power,the more,the merrier.Even running 165per channel @4ohms,I find my movie watching to be right around the -18 level on my Outlaw(previous speakers,I would set it at about -24).

Parker used a phrase that I think truly discribes maggies well."They breathe sound into a room."(thanks Parker)

Congrats again Mike.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Mike:
Nice job, bro! I have to say that I get excited every time I see someone integrate these wonderful speakers into their system. I really like what you did! I was trying to get a mental pic of it while I was reading your description, but the pics were great! I know what you mean about how good the sound is even w/out the sub.....I've had to go a little longer than I expected w/out a sub for my MMGs, but I'm so happy with the speakers that I haven't missed it anywhere near as much as I was with my Paradigm Studio/20s. I still can't wait to get an SVS back into the picture, but the Maggies have made the wait bearable :)
Great job, bro......enjoy them! :emoji_thumbsup:
PS. What's up, 'M'!!! :D

Dean_M

Second Unit
Since I have been declared an honorary Alan, I feel obligated to chime in. That's one nice set-up you have there, Mike, and I'm jealous. :D
I've been playing with my system and doing quite a bit of research, and I believe that I've finally come up with a solution for a sub that will blend well with my Maggies - infinite baffle. I know they aren't for everyone, but by all accounts that I've found so far, they are a perfect match (as are DIY dipole subs) for Maggies. I've decided to go the IB route since it's easier for me to build than a dipole, and it has a much higher WAF in my household. :D

Alan M

Second Unit
Woot,

That makes two of us Dean building IB's.I've decided to build one also.

What size subs are you going to use in your IB,and how many are you going to use?

From what I've read over at the IB forum,2 subs placed in the manifold seems to cancel most negative effects.

Have you seen anything about the quickness of IB's(as the Maggies are very quick) ?

Dean_M

Second Unit
Great minds think alike! :D
I'm using four 15" drivers in mine, which will be mounted in a manifold installed in the ceiing at the front wall centered between my front L&R speakers.
I've been picking Thomas', the owner of the IB forum, brain for info. As it turns out, he's a planar owner and he started the IB forum because an IB is such a good match for planars and ESLs. According to him, an IB with the proper drivers are every bit as quick as the Maggies and will blend seamlessly. You might want to visit the IB forum and read his replies to the deluge of questions that I've been pelting him with over the past few days. He's made some very good recommendations for me that would probably apply to you as well.

Alan M

Second Unit
Thanks Dean,

I've been visiting the IB forum,but not on a regular basis.4 15's should rock your world,lol.I'm thinking about using 2 15's in a manifold.one of my closets back wall is the front wall of my HT.Think this would be perfect for an IB.

I'll head over to the forum and read your posts asap.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Glad to help, Alan. Please let me know what drivers, etc. you decide to use. You may come up with something better and I'll be compelled to copy you. :D

Alan M

Second Unit
O no,
Dont depend on me,lol.I was depending on you to forge ahead with the innovative ideas:D .
I may use the 15's that were mentioned in your thread,although I'm only using two.

Dean_M

Second Unit
:D Ok, I'll go first. I'm starting on mine this week and I've already put my other sub up for sale.
Depending on the size of your room, you may want to think about going with four drivers as well. I've read that as a general rule an IB requires twice as many drivers as a boxed sub.
Besides, with the sale going on you can get four for the price of two. Don't think of it as overkill, think of it as saving money. :D

Alan M

Second Unit
"Besides, with the sale going on you can get four for the price of two. Don't think of it as overkill, think of it as saving money."
I've said it once before in this thread and I'll say it again,ROFL.Now, if I could get the wife to think along those lines.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Dean_M

Second Unit
I know the feeling. Mine won't let me cut any holes in the ceiling, buy any drivers, or much of anything else until the other sub is out of the house. She's afraid that once I get started on the IB I might weasel my way into keeping the other sub too. She knows me too well. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks