What's new

Magazine/Book recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi all,

Recently, my wife expressed an interest in getting back into photography as a hobby. She still has her father's "film" camera that she used to use way back, but would like to get a DSLR and step into the 21st century.

She realizes that investing in a potentially expensive camera and supporting equipment on a whim is not a very prudent thing to do, so she's planted this seed now in the hopes that next Christmas it may bear fruit.

Normally, she relies on me to do a lot of the research into new technologies and other large purchases (for the record, I really enjoy learning about new stuff) but in this case, I thought it might be nice to ease her back into the hobby and to get her to start thinking about and understanding modern digital photography hardware.

I thought a magazine subscription and/or a book or two on the subject might be a nice thing to get her this year. I don't know that she'd be interested in anything too "hard core" but at the same time, we both need a certain degree of education on the technologies, features, etc.

My hopes would be that by this time next year, we will both be able to make an informed decision on a camera that offers the best balance of features/price/etc. for what she wants to do, and have a grasp of where the technology stands and what might be lurking over the horizon.

Any thoughts on some good options? Thanks for any input!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I get a couple of photography magazines -- Outdoor Photographer and Popular Photography. I'm not sure that is the best place to learn about equipment for a beginner, though, just as audio magazines are not usually the best place to learn about new equipment. I get them more to view the work of professional photographers, gather new shooting tips and techniques,discover new shooting locations, and pick up some post processing tips. They do report on new equipment, too, but it's usually not very in depth and some of their criteria for ratings are not very relevant, IMO.

You may want to check out a couple of online photography forums. Since I shoot Canon equipment, I will peruse photography-on-the.net, also known as POTN, which is dedicated to Canon shooters. Another popular forum that is equipment agnostic is fredmiranda.com. One of the Nikon shooters here can probably recommend a good Nikon forum, too. There is also dpreview.com which has very good in-depth reviews of equipment, but the forums there are more noise than information, IMO.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I also get "Outdoor Photographer" and "Popular Photography". Neither of which, as Scott said, is really a good place to learn as a beginner. I do also get "Digital Photo" which does seem to be tailored more towards beginners/amatuers. You can find it at www.dpmag.com.

In addition to the sites Scott mentioned, one of my favorites for Canon camera and lens reviews is "The Digital Picture" at www.the-digital-picture.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks