What's new

Made-For-TV Movies...which do you want to see on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Make that the uncut, 4 hour version of FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY, not the edited down version previously released by Goodtimes on VHS.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Definitely the uncut "Frankenstin: The True Story."

Sybil (1976) starring Sally Field

A Case of Rape (1974), starring Elizabeth Montgomery.

Intimate Strangers (1977), a very intense, ahead-of-its-time drama about spousal abuse, starring Sally Struthers and Dennis Weaver. I remember the wife-beating scenes were the most shockingly violent thing I had ever seen in a movie at the time.

Sarah T: Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic (1975) starring Linda Blair

The Marva Collins Story (1981), starring Cicely Tyson

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (1974), starring Cicely Tyson.

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator
"The Last Child" (1971) - "In a badly-overpopulated future, where each couple is only allowed one child and where people over 65 are forbidden medical care under a very draconian set of laws, a young couple, pregnant with their second child (the first died shortly after birth) enlist the help of an elderly former US Senator (Van Heflin - his last role) to help them escape to Canada."

and

"Where Have All the People Gone?" (1974) - "A strange series of solar flares proves fatal for inhabitants of the Earth, except for the fortunate few who are somehow immune from the effects. Animals go insane and human beings turn to white powder, leaving behind only empty clothing. A handful of survivors attempt to rebuild their lives on the de-populated Earth."

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Uncut Chiefs (1983)
Special Bulletin (1983)
Terror On The Beach (1973)
Goliath Awaits (1981)
The Deliberate Stranger (1986)
Easy Prey (1986)
Fatal Vision (1984)
Victims (1982)
Mysterious Two (1982)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Carly's Web
Countdown to Looking Glass
The Last Fling
Freaky Friday (1995)
The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything
Hero at Large
If You Could See What I Hear
Leave Yesterday Behind
Love Struck
Miami Hustle
The New Maverick
Noah
Parent Trap II
Parent Trap III
Parent Trap Hawaiian Honeymoon
Prime Risk
Raptor Island
Twisted Desire
Wedding Day Blues

Glenn

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great thread, I just hope that we get a realistic chance at getting some of these!

Here's mine...

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark One of the most frightening films ever made IMO.

The Deliberate Stranger I never knew Mark Harmon could be so chilling until I saw this!

I'm Dangerous Tonight Because of Madchen Amick in that hot little red party dress. :b

Unforgivable Some might remember this one, it starred John Ritter as an abusive husband and father who undergoes a change for the better. Based on a real life case BTW. Powerful performance by John Ritter!

The Haunted Scary shit! :eek:

Murder in Bevery Hills: The Story of Eric and Lyle Menendez Edward James Olmos starred in this one.

Murder in New Hampshire: The Pamela Smart Story Helen Hunt.

America's Baby: The Rescue of Jessica Maclure One of the most moving films i've ever seen.

Virtually any Lifetime Network films that involve murder, kidnapping, sexual infidelity or all three. I'm a sucker for those Lifetime Network movies and i'm not ashamed to admit it. :)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I'm glad to see a few people mentioning "The Legend of Lizzie Borden". I LOVE that movie! And also "The Victim".

Frankly we need all of Elizabeth Montgomery's TV movies on DVD. I would think that now would be an opportune time to release them with the renewed interest in Bewitched because of the movie.

Here is a list of all of EM's TV-movies (which I posted awhile ago in a thread about her movies) with my top five choices highlighted:

"The Victim" November 14, 1972 - ABC TV

"Mrs Sundance" January 15, 1974 - ABC TV (costarring EM's real life husband Robert Foxworth. This movie is where they met).

"A Case of Rape" February 20, 1974 - NBC TV

"The Legend of Lizzie Borden" February 10, 1975 - ABC TV (costarring Katherine Helmond)

"Dark Victory" February 5, 1976 - NBC TV (costarring Anthony Hopkins).

"A Killing Affair" September 21, 1977 - CBS TV (costarring OJ Simpson).

"The Awakening Land" February 19, 20 & 21, 1978 - NBC TV (costarring Jane Seymour and Hal Holbrook)

"Jennifer: A Woman's Story" March 5, 1979 - NBC TV

"Act of Violence" November 10, 1979 - CBS TV

"Belle Star" April 20, 1980 - CBS TV

"When the Circus Came to Town" January 20, 1981 - CBS TV (costarring Christopher Plummer).

"The Rules of Marriage" May 10th & 11th, 1982 - CBS TV (costarring Elliot Gould).

"Missing Pieces" May 14, 1983 - CBS TV

"Second Sight A Love Story" March 13, 1984 - CBS TV

"Amos" September 25, 1985 - CBS TV (costarring Kirk Douglas, Ray Walston, Pat Morita)

"Between the Darkness & the Dawn" December 23, 1985 - NBC TV

"Face to Face" January 24, 1990 - CBS TV (costarring Robert Foxworth).

"Sins of the Mother" February 18, 1991 - CBS TV

"With Murder In Mind" aka "With Savage Intent" May 12, 1992 - CBS TV (costarring Robert Foxworth).

"Black Widow Murders:The Blanche Taylor Moore Story" May 3, 1993 - NBC TV

"The Corpse Had A Familiar Face" March 27, 1994 - CBS TV

"Deadline For Murder: From the Files of Edna Buchanan" May 9, 1995 - CBS TV

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I posted this TV-movie want list in a thread in the "Studio & Manufacturer Feedback" section of HTF back in January, might as well repeat it here:

I'd like to see these TV-movies hit legit DVD in R1--

CBS (probably via Image Entertainment):

VISIONS... (1972)
WORLD OF DARKNESS, THE (1977)
WORLD BEYOND, THE (1978)

Columbia:

BLACK NOON (1971)
LAST OF THE GOOD GUYS, THE (1978)

Fox:

DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW (1981)
NORLISS TAPES, THE (1973)
SANDCASTLES (1972)
SPECTRE (1977)
STOWAWAY TO THE MOON (1975)
STRANGE & DEADLY OCCURANCE, THE (1974)
TRIBES (1970)
VAMPIRE (1979)
WHEN MICHAEL CALLS (1972)
WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE? (1974)

MGM (via their ABC Films/Disney deal):

COLD NIGHT'S DEATH, A (1973, aka THE CHILL FACTOR)
GUESS WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED? (1973)
PLAYMATES (1972)
TRILOGY OF TERROR (1975, reissue of the OOP Anchor Bay DVD)

Paramount:

BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (1970)
LOVE WAR, THE (1970)
NIGHT CHASE (1970)
SAVAGES (1974)
SOLE SURVIVOR (1970)
STALK THE WILD CHILD (1976)
TWO FOR THE MONEY (1972)
WOMEN IN CHAINS (1972)

Universal:

DEADLY DREAM (1971)
DRAGNET 1966 (1969)
EVIL ROY SLADE (1972)
FEAR NO EVIL (1969)
KILLDOZER (1974)
LITTLE GAME, A (1971)
LIVE AGAIN, DIE AGAIN (1974)
LONGEST NIGHT, THE (1972)
LOST FLIGHT (1969)
MOVIE MURDERER, THE (1970)
RITUAL OF EVIL (1970)
SAVAGE BEES, THE (1976)
SCREAMING WOMAN, THE (1972)
STRANGER ON THE RUN (1967, directed by Don Siegel)
VICTIM, THE (1972)

Warner:

BAD RONALD (1974)
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (1973)
RUNAWAYS, THE (1975)
SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME! (1978, directed by John Carpenter)
STRANGER WITHIN, THE (1974)

Current owners unknown:

BERMUDA DEPTHS, THE (1978, the one with Connie Sellecca & the giant sea turtle)
BIRDS OF PREY (1973)
CODE NAME: HERACLITUS (1967)
CRAWLSPACE (1972)
FACE OF FEAR, THE (1971)
FORCE OF EVIL (1977)
LAST DINOSAUR, THE (1977)
TERROR OUT OF THE SKY (1978, sequel to THE SAVAGE BEES)
WHO IS THE BLACK DAHLIA? (1975)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Yes, I forgot about SPECIAL BULLETIN, what a great one that is. By the way, re: HERO AT LARGE, I believe that was a theatrical film, was it not? In any case, I likes that one too.

And what about the many Disney made-for-television films aired on their TV program, such as:

THE CHILD OF GLASS (Based on the book "The Ghost That Belonged To Me")
SAMMY, THE WAY-OUT SEAL
THE WHIZ KID AND THE CARNIVAL CAPER (novelized as Frankenstein And The Whiz Kid, a story involving Alvin Fernald, a boy genius of sorts, who was featured in a few excellent children's books)

Saw all three of these as a kid and loved 'em; haven't seen them since. THE CHILD OF GLASS in particular fascinated me; I felt so much for the poor ghost girl that I was in tears by the end. I believe the first two were released on VHS years ago. Disney should put out box sets of some of the best of their old television films. Another one I remember is FIRE ON KELLY MOUNTAIN, starring a pre-Chips Larry Wilcox. Anyone remember any more?

EDIT: Well, I just found this handy-dandy list:

List of Disney Television Films

I didn't know there was another Whiz Kid film! Now I gotta see THE WHIZ KID AND THE MYSTERY AT RIVERTON!!!

Out of 64 titles, there's only ONE available on R1 DVD, and only a measly 13 (now long OOP) were ever released on VHS. Some of these television films are WAY better than much of Disney's recent theatrical product.

Claude North

Second Unit
Personally, I want to see EVERY made-for-TV movie from the 1970s released on DVD. A few titles that come to mind:

Terraces: a quintessentially '70s movie about the goings-on in a singles high rise apartment building. Features Kit McDonough, Lloyd Bochner, and Julie Newmar (who does a kick split).

The Girl Most Likely To...: Stockard Channing starred in this comic revenge fantasy written by Joan Rivers.

The Secret Night Caller: Robert Reed as a husband and father with a compulsion to make obscene phone calls.

The Initiation of Sarah: Blatant "Carrie" rip-off starring Kay Lenz, Shelley Winters, and Morgans Brittany and Fairchild.

Nightmare in Badham County: Women's prison melodrama overflowing with TV stars.

Sweet Hostage: Linda Blair once again being tormented, this time by Martin Sheen.

The Weekend Nun: Joanna Pettet as a nun/social worker, and Kay Lenz as the teen she tries to help.

Say Goodbye, Maggie Cole: Susan Hayward as a widow working in an inner-city clinic.

It Couldn't Have Happened To A Nicer Guy: Paul Sorvino as a man raped by a beautiful woman.

Plus, anything with Elizabeth Montgomery, and anything with a supernatural or horror theme.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Some others I thought of: I was thinking it would be great to see a collection of the tv movies (and aparently non-tv movies) that Gary Coleman did as a kid during the Diff'rent Strokes hey-day.

The Kid with the 200 I.Q. (1983) (TV)
Jimmy the Kid (1983)
The Kid with the Broken Halo (1982) (TV)
On the Right Track (1981)
Scout's Honor (1980) (TV)
The Kid from Left Field (1979) (TV)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
TV Land is going to be having a TV movie marathon in a couple weeks. Not sure of the titles yet.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I'll second:

THE GUYANA TRAGEDY (great performance by Boothe)

DARK KNIGHT OF THE SCARECROW

MURDER IN NEW HAMPSHIRE: THE PAMELA SMART STORY

Also, a network (I think it was CBS) had a TV movie about the Ramseys in Colorado a few years ago...I thought it was pretty good.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
"It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" by Mickey Rooney is always one of my favorite movies to watch around Christmas time.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks