What's new

Mad Men: Season 7 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Some big events are in the background. Not sure if Woodstock will make it. I bet the moon landing is more like it. I highly doubt Altamont will make it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
albert_m2 said:
Some big events are in the background.
Since Megan, Pete and Ted are all in Los Angeles and because Megan is an actress who lives alone, it seems inevitable that they won't cover the Manson family murders. I could be wrong but I think those murders and Woodstock both took place in August so they may end up in the same episode.

Either way, August is six months from 'now' so I'm sure they won't reach it until the second half of the season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
OMG, I don't know why, but the scenes with Betty were just killing me in tonight's episode.

Don had a most awkward day back at the work. Loving Peggy for her truth.

Don's answer at the end was a little unsatisfying, though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Don's answer at the end was a little unsatisfying, though.
Yeah, I wanted to see him fight some of those stipulations (no drinking is an excellent idea but forcing him to follow an approved script seems nuts) but I guess he was willing to swallow anything just to be back on the job.

I wanted to vomit when Betty drank the cow's milk out of the bucket. I don't know what was worse, that she drank the milk basically straight from the source or that she was drinking out of a bucket that sits in a barn. :)

Cutler telling Harry that he had a lot of competition but he might be the most dishonest man that he'd ever met was pretty funny.

As a Twilight Zone fan, it warms my heart that Don was impressed by Megan having met Rod Serling.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The thought of Lou's eventual comeuppance is what gets me from one day to the next.

I would've been perfectly fine had this been a 3-hour episode just of the partners meeting to talk about the Don-situation. Why didn't they fire up the speaker-phone contraption to get Pete and Ted in on this?! Would've been glorious.

(Every episode needs a scene of Ken being exceedingly exuberant.)

I was shocked when Don said "yes" to the terms, but happily so. I don't believe Humble Don is something we have ever seen; he certainly has a long climb ahead of him. However, the office is severely fucked up now, so he'll have his opportunity.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Patrick Sun said:
OMG, I don't know why, but the scenes with Betty were just killing me in tonight's episode.
I know why. Because they sucked and added nothing to the show. Just do what I started doing last season and fast forward through all the Betty scenes (unless they involve Don or one of the other major players). You not only won't miss any story development but it will enhance your viewing experience 10 fold. Does January Jones have something in her contract where she must appear in a certain number of scenes per season? Or she sleeping with Matthew Weiner?

I was also surprised by Don's quick response at the end.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I thought the Betty scenes were fine, but I agree that I don't see what her storyline is contributing to the show at this point. I was very surprised that Don agreed to those terms, especially when he had another offer (even if he wouldn't be a partner there).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The smoking in the movie theater, on the plane, and on the field trip reminds me of those small incremental things that don't exists anymore. I'm aware that Mad Men has featured smoking around children and in other places now prohibited in most establishments, but it's still jarring when I see it on the show.

The Betty scenes actually provoked a chuckle and some laughs out of me. There's a small-mindedness of the stay-at-home housewife that is on display, played against the contrast of the burgeoning working mothers (after their children are sufficiently grown that we now take for granted) her friends are becoming, like the travel agent lady she had lunch with.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I kept thinking something bad was coming with those scenes between Betty and Bobby. The way they cut to them, especially the picnic blanket, seemed like more was coming.

Surprised Don said okay to the new rules, although it was refreshing to see Roger stick up for him. Jim is getting the villain role, which previously belonged to Pete, and Don's replacement isn't very nice to the creative staff. Don needs to start acting like a partner again, reminding everyone that he has an equal say.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
It's all a little foggy because it was so long ago, but did Don really do anything that Roger basically hasn't done himself? Didn't Roger cost them Lucky Strike? And he even drinks more than Don.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I was equally surprised to see Joan so against his return. Not that she doesn't have some reason to be worried but I didn't think that she wouldn't see some advantage to him returning.
Joan is probably still pissed at Don for Jaguar.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Roger sticking up for Don against the partners was the first time he looked like an authority-figure in probably three seasons. He must've really missed his buddy.

All it will take is a few pitch sessions where Don actually sticks to the script and they still don't sign the client for the partners to rethink their stance on "releasing the Draper." By then, it'll be too late. Add in the ticking timebomb that is the California office, and the writing's definitely on the wall.

It would be great to see Lou lose it and get all angry because a client would rather deal with Don than him. Don reporting to Lou is going to be amazing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Patrick Sun said:
Joan is probably still pissed at Don for Jaguar.
TravisR said:
I was equally surprised to see Joan so against his return. Not that she doesn't have some reason to be worried but I didn't think that she wouldn't see some advantage to him returning.
Speaking of which, I am currently loving the juxtaposition of Game of Thrones and Mad Men on the same night, back-to-back. They are such different shows in nearly every aspect -- yet they have one common thread running through them.

It's incredible to see, on both shows, a male-dominated society being overtaken by women. All of these men are plotting against each other and measuring cock-sizes, while women like Joan and Daenerys are building their empires right in broad daylight.

The shows couldn't feel more different, but they have more in common than some people might realize.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Having Don come back stripped down of basically everything - he's not the creative director and will have to go through Lou, will make it interesting.

The show established through the years, if Don is on his game, he's smarter than most there. His creative work is more than "adequate" which the agency settled for and also settles for a media "department" that they don't support, nor care about.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Peggy's comment to Don, I hope she lives to regret that comment.

I must say, the partners of the firm are as dumb as mud. They give a two year contract to one person and have a partner they can't afford to get rid. Now they have to pay for both. It was a pretty telling comment that if they did fire Don the buyout would result in they not getting out from under for four to five years!

I just wonder if some of the partners are going to try and egg Don on to break one of those pathetic rules so they can try and absorb his shares.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Was really disappointed Don got drunk at the office but hopefully Freddie's advice will sink in and he'll just take all the crap the others dish out until he can make a move. If they really need to get rid of dead weight, what the hell has Cooper done in the last ten years? Besides after his racist crap this season who cares about him anyways?One last thing, could Cutler be anymore clueless about Ted?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks