What's new

Mad Men Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
It may just be bothering me because we're seeing so much changing in Peggy and Roger. It feels like they're leaving Don behind. Joan would be too, but she never seems to get enough screen time.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Quentin said:
It may just be bothering me because we're seeing so much changing in Peggy and Roger. It feels like they're leaving Don behind. Joan would be too, but she never seems to get enough screen time.
But they're all still miserable, and probably always will be. Although there might be hope for Peggy.

I thought Joan's awkward hug was out of character for her. She's never really been a compassionate person, and I don't recall her ever wanting to at least portray herself as compassionate, so I just took it as the writers reaching for a laugh.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Now that is how you shake things up and get people all back on the same page. Pete is a scumbag, but you have to wonder if this revelation about his FIL to Trudy is going to change the makeup of that relationship.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I really enjoy the episodes that deal with the business side of things. And, more importantly, don't deal with the Betty side of things.

I have to wonder though, even in 1969, was it that easy to merge two companies? It all happened so quickly. I would have thought at a minimum they would have needed some lawyers present.

I liked the scene in the bar with Don & Ted. Am I the only one that thought they were playing eachother?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
I have to wonder though, even in 1969, was it that easy to merge two companies? It all happened so quickly. I would have thought at a minimum they would have needed some lawyers present.
I thought it was an agreement more than a finalized deal. While a press release might a little premature without a deal, I guess they know that neither can change their mind at this point because they'll lose the car account.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Shark's daughter is all grown up...

As a viewer of "Community", nowadays, it's a little jarring when Trudy is in an episode of "Mad Men". :D

Enjoyed this week's episode.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great episode. Don, of course, is the show's anti-hero, but who among us wasn't thrilled to see him effectively handle that jackass from Jaguar. Loved Pete being so angry at Don that he tumbled down the stairs.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Favate said:
Great episode. Don, of course, is the show's anti-hero, but who among us wasn't thrilled to see him effectively handle that jackass from Jaguar. Loved Pete being so angry at Don that he tumbled down the stairs.
I really liked Joan's remorse over that too.. that she turned and said "and all of that for.. what!?!" Basically pointing out that she gave up her virtue now for a client they don't even have any longer.

Yes, the merger will be a bit trickier, but as private companies (this was long before changes in the code on corp status) Don reaches a deal and then they negotiate later. Both businesses realize they will be out of business without the deal, and with the deal, they will be one of the largest agencies on the block.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I really liked Joan's remorse over that too.. that she turned and said "and all of that for.. what!?!" Basically pointing out that she gave up her virtue now for a client they don't even have any longer.
I liked Joan calling Don out on how he (and the audience) always views himself as the savior of the agnecy.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I liked Joan calling Don out on how he (and the audience) always views himself as the savior of the agnecy.
I can see why Joan is pissed, but that doesn't change the fact that the merger IS a brilliant and gutsy move that will indeed save the agency.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I think the merger will happen...there will just be some growing pains for episode building (can't wait to see Harry's take).

I am wondering how long the new agency can last marketing the Vega?! Long enough for the remainder of the show, I suppose.

Pete falling was superb - an instant classic!

Peaches and Herb!

And, Peggy's fantasy of Ted reading "something" by Emerson? Very funny.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, indeed, a gutsy move to change up the show for its remaining seasons. The next episodes should be really something.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
The most disappointing part of the merger plot line is that it puts Peggy right back where she didn't want to be, under Don's thumb. Title or no, she will once again have to put up with all of his shit, and work with all of the people at SCDP who remembered her as a secretary.

I suppose she could always quit again, but realistically I'm not sure they'd follow her plotline to yet a third agency.

As much as I love her character, I almost hope she has the courage to leave, even if it means we never see her again.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Tim Gerdes said:
The most disappointing part of the merger plot line is that it puts Peggy right back where she didn't want to be, under Don's thumb. Title or no, she will once again have to put up with all of his shit, and work with all of the people at SCDP who remembered her as a secretary.
And if you remember, this whole thing was heavily foreshadowed when Peg was talking to Ted about how much she liked him and how miserable everyone else she knows is. Now she's back with all of those miserable people.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed that so little time was given to the Robert Kennedy assassination. A brief blurb by Pete's mom, and a few seconds of Megan crying? That's it?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So Don's weird affair with the doctor's wife comes to an end, and her non-verbal rebuke causes him to lose the power in that "relationship". Hilariously so. Glad to see it over. Will Megan notice that Don has checked out of their marriage now?

Pete and his mother - so weirdly strange to see him have to actually give a damn about someone other than himself.

The scene showing Harry's reaction to the merger was short and sweet. Will he move on now that it'll be even harder to get a place at the table.

Ted getting the drop on Don (flying to meet the client) after Don left him in a drunken stupor in the office was a nice touch. I still like how Peggy can put Don in his place, even if he does call her out on her whining.

Roger's second-time firing of that exec was so evil, but funny.

Sort of glad they didn't spend an episode on the RFK assassination.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
I was disappointed that so little time was given to the Robert Kennedy assassination. A brief blurb by Pete's mom, and a few seconds of Megan crying? That's it?
I would have expected it to dominate an episode as well but I guess it could have felt a little repetitive coming so soon after the episode that had the Martin Luther King, Jr. assassination as a big focus and even with the third season's John Kennedy assassination.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
RobertR said:
I don't think we can conclude that is it.. I think it's something that will linger. Remember, for people in NY, the RFK assassination was huge; but it happened while they were sleeping, at night in California... so the impact wasn't as immediate or in a place where they were awake to think about it right away. I think it also captured how numb everyone was to these events; it was shocking.. but it was just another shock along the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks