What's new

Mad Men Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Well Don was certainly distracted. it was interesting watch all of the main stories involve irrational poor decisions and the interconnection of them. Another great episode.

Great line from Cooper last night calling Hilton "eccentric"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
"I don't want anything to do with Roger Sterling" ZING! Roger pressing Betsy about a contract wast he straw that broke the camel's back and the truce is over.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I love that every 'chapter' of MAD MEN has a theme...

Last night it was all about power, and it was fascinating to watch an episode about power wherein Don had none for about 99% of it. I don't think we've ever seen him displayed so powerlessly. I loved the little touches - like him consistently finding himself on the other side of his desk.

Of course, the two times he DID have the power, I think he misused it - once to berate Peggy (bad call) and finally to sever ties with Roger. Roger may be a pain in his ass, but he's wrong to sever that tie.

Bets beginning to wield her feminine power again always scares me. And, that sofa is the ugliest thing ever. She is a nutcase.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I’m really enjoying this season, another solid effort so far.
As for the Victorian sofa, it’s not bad but people either like Victorian or they don’t. One thing for certain, it shouldn’t have been placed right in front of the fireplace.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
The sofa wasn't bad. The sofa in that room with it's existing furnishings was beyond bad. Like a 12' Robocop statue in the middle of a rose garden!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Oh Gawd, we're talking home decor.
The fainting couch was very nice, I would put a different fabric on it.
The fainting couch shoved in front of the mantle in THAT room was Betty acting out.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm wondering how long until Pete gets caught with his .... wanderings. No Peggy or Roger in the episode, as vacation kicked into high gear. It appears as though Connie has much bigger plans for Don, with the nice trip to Rome.

One thing I've come to notice.. this show uses almost no ambient music and, in this episode, almost no background "office" type noises, even in the past you'd hear some keyboards clanging.. the backdrop was dead silent. Interesting choice

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Really solid episode tonight.

It was a real pain to carry on with an affair if you were a housewife back then. Heh.

Don gets slapped around by Connie and Don goes for the only source of peace he knows - the arms of another woman.

Wonder how Sal's dismissal will pan out.

Civil Rights - the times they are a-changin'

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The agency really took it on the chin tonight.

Why do I have a feeling that by the end of this season two-thirds of the Sterling-Cooper staff will no longer be working there?

I think the writers are doing a splendid job of showing what happens when a large company buys a small one and then forces the smaller company to adapt to the large company's way of doing business. Sterling-Cooper is rapidly becoming an empty shell.

I'm not familiar with the man, but I wonder how much of Hilton's character is based on reality. I half expect him to morph into Howard Hughes any episode now...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, Don has to figure out how to pickup all the pieces. Conrad Hilton comes across as ... weird. "I want the moon" .. WTF? Don came across completely annoyed...

After doing some research, though, this is almost documentary in style. Apparently, Mad Men did a TON of research about how Conrad Hilton developed and managed his move into the 1960s ad campaign, and got a lot of help from researchers on the issue:

http://www.hotelsmag.com/article/CA6700205.html

So this might be a hell of a blow-by-blow of "what happened" with some juicy story telling mixed in.
So far, I'm loving the whole storyline and wondering how Don fixes the situation...

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I found it extremely odd and reckless that Don would lie, "Connie just called..." as he goes to bang the teacher. It won't happen, but judging from this episode I'd say there is a huge possibility Connie DOES call while he's gone. What then?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Quentin

I found it extremely odd and reckless that Don would lie, "Connie just called..." as he goes to bang the teacher. It won't happen, but judging from this episode I'd say there is a huge possibility Connie DOES call while he's gone. What then?
Given where Don and Hilton's working relationship was by that point in the episode, I thought there was no chance that he would call Don.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That teacher is very hot. The kid brother was quite the c-blocker.

Betty is going sandbag Don with his past, and it won't be pretty.

The revolving door of Sterling-Cooper's ownership isn't all that surprising, but we'll see if it happens sooner or later.

Paul needs to be shown the door, but doubt that's happening soon. Laughed when he got schooled by Peggy and Don.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Am I thinking ahead, or do I see Don leveraging a buyout of Sterling-Cooper with some Hilton backing? "You Dream to Small" ?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
She'd just pocket it and mope around. I'm waiting for the confrontation.. but Betsy is such a freaking wet blanket. She's the hardest character of any of them to relate to... she just comes across as cold & weird.

Loved Peggy's moment last night. Here they split so he can show her up because "she just takes over ideas" and then she comes in, he has absolutely nothing, takes a quote out of his mouth and turns it into the campaign. And he has to realize that Peggy & Don simply have the gift... he doesn't. Great moment of realization there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks