1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Men DVD Rumor

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jim Beaver, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I have anxiously anticipating for this show to come on DVD because I have heard so many great things about it. According to this Mad Men blog it will be released on July 1. If this is true, I can't wait.

Can Dave or Gord confirm this?

Scoop!!! Are we the first to announce? « Basket of Kisses

2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Chauvinistic men slapping secretarys' behinds, smoking non-filter cigarettes like chimneys, and drinking 100 proof hi-balls in the office before lunch just to get started - what's not to love?

Actually, it is a great show, written by former Sopranos writer Matthew Weiner. Rod Serling knew this early 1960s skyscraper business world well and frequently based Twilight Zone episodes around these stressed-out big city types (plus "Patterns"). Now we get that same world in high definition detail and get a lurid glimpse behind their secretarys' and wives' points of view, too. And that quintessential icon of early 60s' business movies ("How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying") - Robert Morse, appears as the owner of the ad agency.

AMC has renewed the show for a second season coming later in the summer, so the first season DVD set will probably hit just before that. Put away your B&W TV DVDs from the same era for a spell and scope this out when it does.

3. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

I have to add that this is one of the most interesting shows to come out this past year. I'm excited that they're going to offer it on DVD.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Mad Men and Damages got me through an incredibly long summer last year. I'll definitely grab the set (Lionsgate, maybe a Blu Ray edition, too...?) whenever it hits. What a great, involving show!

5. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

Jason, do you think it's as good as Damages? Because Damages was one of the most amazing shows of last year and it would be great if I could sink my teeth into another equally amazing show.

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Jim, I think they're every bit each other's equal. Excellent casting, involving writing...the only place I think Mad Men has a leg up is the music and production design because of the era being recreated. It takes an episode or two to really get going-at least IMHO-but once it does, more layers to each character are revealed. Completely fascinating show.

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Wow, July 1 is really starting to become loaded with releases...good news, though, which means Season 2 should premiere by the end of the month.