1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Magazine's Up the Academy - 2-14-06!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Martin, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Well-Known Member

Never thought we would see this, but Warner Home Video will be releasing MAD MAGAZINE PRESENTS UP THE ACADEMY on 2-14-06! With all the behind the scenes legal fights over the film, I thought this would be MIA for a long time.

Since they are using that name, I guess this would mean they will be restoring the Mad Magazine footage. After the theatrical release, Mad disowned the film, paying to have all references to Mad, and the scenes featuring Alfred E. Neuman cut from the film. Warner accidentally released it to VHS with those scenes intact (even though the artwork was changed) but all the cable versions aired since then were edited. It has aired a few times in the past on TNT with the Mad references back (and the credits letterboxed, being a 2.35:1 Panavision film).

Plus, the film's star, Ron Leibman (who is hysterical) also had his name removed from the film!!!

It is a funny movie though, written by Tom Patchett and Jay Tarses (sitcom writers for MARY TYLER MOORE and the creators of BUFFALO BILL), directed by Robert Downey. And it has a great soundtrack.

So, I can't wait for this one. Wish it would have some extras, a documentary especially on why everyone disowned it.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Say it Again! Say it Again

Great, great film!

By the way....can I take credit?

During last year's Warner chat, I brought this
    title up and was politely ridiculed for doing so
    by George Feltenstein.

As far as it was indicated, there were no plans
    at that stage to have the DVDE released.

Perhaps our chat put it in their heads that there
    was some interest in this film.

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Well-Known Member

I'm a big Mad fan and I've never seen this, so I might want to pick it up. I'm guessing it'll be bare-bones, but I'd love a commentary.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Anthony,

Hmmm...

I would not buy this blindly.

The movie was very cheesey back in the days
    when I first saw it. It was made to ride on
    the coat-tails of many of the other teen films
    of its time.

IMHO, it's not a very funny film by today's standards.

I think it has more of a nostalgic value for those
    of us that saw it in theaters or during the very
    early years of cable TV.

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll try to see if I can rent it anywhere first.

6. Robert Wainwright

Robert Wainwright Well-Known Member

At least it will prove that I'm not completely crazy. My brother and I have been fighting for years on the Alfred E Newman footage. He does believe that it exists.

(mocking tone) Vengeance is Mine!!! (end mocking tone)

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

I've had the VHS tape of this sitting on the floor for a few months, guess it's a good thing I never got around to transferring it to DVD. I'll go put it away now!

8. JimWICKS

JimWICKS Member

Mad Magazine is now owned by Time/Warner. This eliminates the rights issues.

9. Jon Martin

It wasn't so much a rights issue as Mad was really embarassed by it and didn't want to be associated with it so they paid to have the scenes removed. I don't know why. It is funnier than many of the National Lampoon movies.

As far as the Alfred E. Neumann footage, there are only a couple scenes, in the opening credits and at the very end. It is a guy in a very scary looking mask.

The TV ads had an Alfred E. Neumann statue on the grounds of the academy. I don't know if this was in the theatrical print, but wasn't on the VHS or TV version. I'd love to see the trailers on the DVD.

I was a big MAD fan when the movie came out and have been fascinated by the behind the scenes stuff since then. I've collected just about everything I could find about the movie over the years, lobby cards, just found a press kit earlier this year. Heck, I could do the supplements for the DVD.

As far as a blind buy, like Ron said (and thank you for mentioning it in the chat!!!) it may not be for everyone. It is very un-PC, Tom Poston's role especially. But, Leibman is hysterical in it.

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Well-Known Member

Damin J. Toell

Warner and Mad Magazine were already owned by the same company when the film was produced (Gaines sold Mad to Kinney National in the early 60s, then Kinney also bought Warners in 1969). Nothing has changed in that regard, so it's not a factor in the original version now being released on DVD. No rights have changed hands.

DJ

11. MatS

MatS Well-Known Member

tickle your @ss with a feather? [​IMG]

12. Ravi K

Ravi K Well-Known Member

For those of us who are too young to have seen it, what is this movie?

13. Jon Martin

It is a comedy about a bunch of kids sent to military school. Ralph Macchio is the only actor who you may have heard of (although, do people today still know him?).

It is the only movie that MAD MAGAZINE lent their name too, after the success of all the NATIONAL LAMPOON films.

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Well-Known Member

"Tell your roommate I hope her nuts are ok."

Another film I thought would never see the light of day...excellent.

Bruce

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

Of course MADTV proves that they've gotten a LOT less discriminating on what they'll lend their name to.

16. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'll probably get this. For some reason, my Dad would always rent this for me when I was a kid, probably because of the Mad Magazine association. I don't remember much of it though.

I'll second that, the Alfred mask is one of the most frightening things you'll see! I actually got nighmares from it, that giant grinning head wobbling on top of a scrawny body. I can still see it peeking around corners at me in my nightmares!

17. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Nelson
    This film has a couple of moderately funny bits, but...man...what a stinker. At least the soundtrack features the Cheap Trick classic "Surrender". If you want a really funny bad early '80s comedy, go for ZAPPED! instead. I watched that for the first time a few months ago, and laughed 'till I almost died. The crackerjack low-comedy team of Baio and Aames is in peak form.

18. Jon Martin

The artwork is now up on Amazon. It says on it that it is "Mad Magazine Presents" so it should be the uncut version.

Although unfortunately they are just using the cast picture from the generic video cover, rather than the great MAD illustrated movie poster.

No word on extras. I'd at least hope for a trailer, which featured a statue of Alfred E. Neuman, that isn't in the film otherwise.

19. Ed Francisco

Ed Francisco Well-Known Member

Any idea if they can get the soundtrack reissued on CD? The soundtrack was one of the first LPs I ever bought and I remember that there were a lot of great songs on it.

20. Jon Martin

The DVD is now out!! Got it in the mail today.

Transfer looks great, the Alfred sequences are there, the music seems to be the same, finally letterboxed at 2.35:1.

And, it includes the trailer!! With the Alfred statue scene. No other extras (and this needed a commentary track to explain everything behind the scenes).

No reason not to pick it up if you are a fan of the film, especially for under $15.