What's new

M-Squad Coming 9/23/08 (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
DeepDiscount already has their pre-order price up for M SQUAD. It's $91.20, so even with a 20% discount you are looking at $73. And I agree with you that DVDPacific does offer great pricing for Timeless, but I'll be surprised if they can beat $67 total. They aren't as attractive to me as some of the other sites are because I live in Florida and get hit with taxes every time I order from them. Their new free shipping policy helps, but the darned taxes really take some of the air out for me. Still, I will keep an eye out on their pricing for the November Timeless releases, and if they actually beat the CD Universe prices then I can always cancel my order and go with DVDPacific.
Gary "take care" O.
I should have checked DeepDiscount to see if the price was listed first so, yes, that price from CD Universe is the price leader for now. But DVDPacific currently has the new, upcoming (12 episode) release of "Wagon Train" for about $18, from a list price of $35, or a savings of about 48%. If that same scenario holds, "M Squad" may end up costing in the $62-$63 range there, shipped (plus those pesky FL state taxes for residents).
I can sympathize with you on the state tax that you have to pay with DVDPacific. Living in PA, I have to fork over my hard earned dollars to the PA state treasury every time I buy those Alpha Video releases from Oldies.com.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
He sent me a PM months ago, deciding to call it quits. The policy of not even breathing the word 'bootleg' is what pushed him over the edge. I wish he'd come back.

Yes, he did send PMs in June telling his friends at HTF that

he was quitting, but what Hank didn't know at that moment

in time was that we were hours away from banning him from

the forum, due to his posting of contact info for a CBS DVD

employee who received harassing phone calls and e-mails over

the Fugitive music issue; an employee who had nothing to do with

it. We can't encourage or tolerate that sort of behavior here, so

he's not welcome back.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
DVDPacific... "M Squad" may end up costing in the $62-$63 range there, shipped (plus those pesky FL state taxes for residents).
You called it Bob! DVDPacific has just updated their pre-order listings and "M Squad" is coming in at $61.56. Unfortunately, the tax for me here in Florida does raise that to over $65, but it still beats the CD Universe price by a couple of bucks.
Oh, and the WAGON TRAIN color set is going for the exact same amount. Definitely the best deals going right now.
Gary "I expect some orders to be placed today - am I right?" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
Gary "I expect some orders to be placed today - am I right?" O.
Right you are, my friend! DVDPacific really seems to be the price leader for releases from Timeless Media. Time to pump some money into the Florida economy! Interestingly, CD Universe has raised the price, with shipping, to $74.53.
DVDPacific has also listed "The Texan" at $35.92
DVD Pacific - Buy New DVD Movies, HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Speaking of Timeless Media, there are currently some great deals over at Amazon on a number of their crime dramas. "Arrest and Trial," "Brenner," "Checkmate," and "The Lawless Years" are all being offered at $12.49 per set. Also offered are some releases that were originally issued by Rhino . . . "The Lone Ranger," "My Favorite Martian," and "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp." These are also offered for $12.49 but don't include as many episodes as their Rhino counterparts. Unfortunately, none of the other TV Westerns are included in this sale.

Update: Add both volumes of "The Loretta Young Show" and the 3-disc release of "The Mickey Rooney Show" to those Timeless releases being offered at $12.49 by Amazon.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Thanks a bunch for that tip on Amazon, Bob. Just placed an order for Brenner, Checkmate S.2, and Loretta Young S.2. I've been waiting for a sale on Timeless shows. I don't think this price can be beat.

I thought I read on HTF that Lawless Years S.2 was released but maybe there was some hangup that prevented it from happening?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Tom.W said:
Thanks a bunch for that tip on Amazon, Bob. Just placed an order for Brenner, Checkmate S.2, and Loretta Young S.2. I've been waiting for a sale on Timeless shows. I don't think this price can be beat.
I really enjoyed "Brenner" quite a bit. I thought it was going to be a straight out police procedural, but there is a fair amount of character development given that it was made for a half hour time slot. Wait 'til you hear the minimalistic end theme . . . . sounds straight out of a late 50s/early 60s coffee house.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Stephen Bowie said:
The hangup was that the first season didn't sell.
Too bad - admittedly an obscure show. Should appeal to fans of the genre, like the Untouchables, if more people knew about it. I don't think the problems with the yellow tint on S. 1 discussed here and elsewhere should have made much of a difference in sales.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just checked on DeepDiscountDVD to see if The M Squad has been released yet, and it says the release date is 11th November, this coming Tuesday. Will there be a review of the set on here?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
WaveCrest said:
Just checked on DeepDiscountDVD to see if The M Squad has been released yet, and it says the release date is 11th November, this coming Tuesday. Will there be a review of the set on here?
The 11th has come and gone, and my order from DVD Pacific still hasn't shipped. Wonder if the comapny putting this out on DVD has pushed back the release date?

David Com

Agent
Ordered my set from Amazon and it arrived this past Wednesday.

The overall product is pretty inconsistent. Quality of the various episodes ranges from tolerable to almost unwatchable. Elements used seem to cover everything from scratchy, splicy 16mm film to VHS bootlegs. Visually, nothing will take your breath away, especially considering the price. It's also unusual to see and NBC/Universal logo all over the discs and packaging, considering the sub-par quality.

Seems like the manufacturer picked their best looking title sequence and then programmed the disc to access that file every time an new episode begins.

However, it is fun to see how directly "Police Squad" spoofed this particular show. You almost expect Frank Drebin to show up at certain moments.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The Timeless deal on all of the NBC Universal programs is that NBC gives them the license to distribute the series but Timeless has to source the prints from wherever they can. Sounds odd but that's how it was explained to me.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Gary16 said:
The Timeless deal on all of the NBC Universal programs is that NBC gives them the license to distribute the series but Timeless has to source the prints from wherever they can. Sounds odd but that's how it was explained to me.
I think Wagon Train is an exception because on the Going West set it says the prints were taken from the original 35 and is produced in conjunction with Universal. I haven't seen the set myself so I have no idea what the quality is like.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The overwhelming amount of vintage material being released in this last quarter of '08, along with financial considerations, forced me to cancel my M-SQUAD pre-order with DVDPacific several weeks ago. I have to admit that I was fearful we'd get some seriously uneven prints with this set and apparently my fears were well founded. I'm going to pass on this one for now. If my finances allow and I see a great sale price in the future I'll reconsider. But right now, after reading about the uneven video quality, I'm kinda glad I took a pass.
Gary "I hate to hear about this for big-time fans of this series, but I'm guessing if it's a holy grail type show for a person it's good just to have the complete series on dvd in spite of the transfers" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Not a "grail" series for me necessarily, but one that I want to own since I like crime/detective series from this era in television. Knowing that this set was being compiled from collectors and whatever sources that Timeless could draw upon, I am keeping my expectations on this set fairly low . . . . I just don't see this series being given any kind of a visual upgrade in the future for all of the usual "reasons" . . . . series is too old, it's in black & white, it has a limited fan base, etc., etc., etc., so I'm happy to be able to get it.
Paul Mavis at DVD Talk has "M Squad" on his list of new DVDs that he'll be reviewing soon (as well as the color season of "Wagon Train"), so I'll be awaiting his thoughts on this. In the meantime, a few web reviews are available now . . . . .
M Squad: Complete Series - DVD review - VIDEOS - TV Squad
EclipseMagazine » DVD REVIEW: M Squad – The Complete Series: Hard Boiled Cop Drama on Chicago’s Mean Streets!
M Squad: The Complete Series | DVD Review | Entertainment Weekly
http://www.avclub.com/content/dvds/m...omplete_series

BobSchneider

Second Unit
David Com said:
Ordered my set from Amazon and it arrived this past Wednesday.
The overall product is pretty inconsistent. Quality of the various episodes ranges from tolerable to almost unwatchable. Elements used seem to cover everything from scratchy, splicy 16mm film to VHS bootlegs. Visually, nothing will take your breath away, especially considering the price. It's also unusual to see and NBC/Universal logo all over the discs and packaging, considering the sub-par quality.
Seems like the manufacturer picked their best looking title sequence and then programmed the disc to access that file every time an new episode begins.
However, it is fun to see how directly "Police Squad" spoofed this particular show. You almost expect Frank Drebin to show up at certain moments.
Really wow Im glad I didnt pre order this series I would have been chessed off to receive basically a public domain dvd set at these prices. Oh well Hawaii five-0 s5 coming out this week so Ive got that to watch ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks