What's new

M. Nights next film "Lady in the Water' (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What the hell is a sea nymph!? :confused:

I couldn't stand The Village, just a big, bloated ball of hot air that went nowhere. As Doug said above, hopefully Knight get's over this major metaphysical complex he's developed and makes a good film.

And for the record, I saw the ending of The Sixth Sense coming a mile away, it amazes me how nobody caught it considering it's about a kid who talks to dead people, it was painfully obvious to me.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Simply knowing there is a twist can ruin the movie for you. I was lucky to be out of the country for the whole of August 1999 (SS was released on August 6th). I came back and headed to the theaters knowing nothing about the movie except the killer trailers which had my attention before I left. No hype, no discussions with friends, nothing. Needless to say, I was stunned. The movie-shock of a lifetime really, nothing came close before or since.

--
H

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Waitaminute, how could a Sea Nymph survive in a fresh water, ultra-chlorinated apartment pool? I think that's asking for a little too much suspension of disbelief. (using the parlance of our time definition of SOD and not the Michael Reuben/Seth Paxton film school/philosophical definition)

Chris Brock

Second Unit

I agree, I have no idea what this is?

I suppose I will assume that it is a movie about a sun bathing nymphomaniac who moved from the beech to an appartment building and cought a guy peeping on her while she skinny dipped in the appartments pool at night? or is that a little off ahha:D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
A nymph is some sort of mystical creature, the kind of thing that doesn't exist like Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and Eskimos.

:)

A nymph can take any form, but most myths liken them to females that just cavort around whatever their designation is. A wood nymph likes the woods. The sea nymph likes.....the sea.

And yes, I think they like sex. Or so I would believe given the root name. :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I had a similar experience when I first watched Sixth Sense: I knew there was a twist, but I was rather slow in getting to the cinema to watch it and had sort-of forgotten that there was supposed to be a killer twist to the movie, and so while watching I never thought about it. So when it came, it totally floored me.

Similarly, when first watching the Matrix, I didn't really know much about it (save for the cool "bullet-time" effects and kung-fu), so again I enjoyed the twist there too. Likewise Thirteenth Floor.

I guess this discussion is now going to telegraph to the small minority who haven't watched these shows that there are major twists to them? ;)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, I knew what the twist of The Sixth Sense was instantly when I found out there WAS a twist. It's still a good if flawed movie. Unbreakable was ok for me, if a little too ambitious and typical at the same time. I loved Signs, and still do. It's scary, tense, well acted, and an overall fun movie. The Village was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and YES, the ending was a twist. Completely. It seemed like Night lost all ability to build and reveal in this one, like he was a student filmmaker with Spielberg's budget. There were so many ridiculous moments throughout that no matter how better the film could have been, I would have never been pulled in.

I'll give him a chance of course. I just hope he's learned something from his last project.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Holy cow, they stopped Harry Potter to show this teaser? I certainly hope it's worth it :)

--
H

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:laugh:

That's a funny image, the manager of the theater suddenly comes running into the auditorium yelling "Whoa, whoa, whoa, cut the projection! You guy's have GOT to see this shit!"

:D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Now lets Guess the twist! (Lady in Water edition)

Guess 1: Paul Giamatti has drowned in the pool, and the "nymph" is his subconscious mind's idea of what the Paramedic (Bryce Dallas Howard) is while she tries to save him.

Guess 2: There is no nymph. Paul's character is suffering from dementia. In fact, there is no pool, the entire episode was a daydream he had after his lobotomy.

Guess 3: the nymph is David Bowie, an alien from another world who came to Earth to find water. Luckily he landed in a pool. Paul teaches him to play guitar left handed, and Ziggy Stardust is born!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

.....so believing in..a sea nymph doesn't require much suspension of disbelief at all, but accepting her in chlorinated water is a stretch? ;)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

LOL! :) I hear you loud and clear. It always makes me shake my head when I hear such double standards when it comes to suspension of disbelief in films!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
My post was a joke. If you like Harry Potter, Star Wars, LOTR, etc, why is accepting a sea nymph any big deal?

Since I saw Potter at a preview I didn't get to see the teaser. The only attached trailer was the now-ancient teaser for The DeVinci Code that everyone's seen a jillion times.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
With Shyamalan's name on it, that is enough for me to not see it.
6th Sense was good but I'm tired of the hype endings which arent any good.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Aw man.... I went to the bathroom in the middle of a melancholic trailer featuring Paul Giamati apparently playing his usual loser self... was it for this movie?

--
H

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Yes, yes it was Holadem, you didn't miss much though. It's a pretty deceiving trailer/teaser(?) because I was like, "Oh god, not the 'Sideways' guy again!!" (I hate Sideways to give some context :) ). Then after the last fade out it brings up Shyamalan's name with some freakyish kind of music rift and I'm like, ooooooo. Haha

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Saw the teaser. It bored the heck out of 400+ people. Very strange. Cannot say it made me want to see it.

Meanwhile, the Superman Returns teaser has the audience very excited (despite it not showing very much).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the official website calls it "a bedtime story"

http://ladyinthewatermovie.warnerbros.com/

click on synopsis there.
sounds odd.

this is now at warners.
night has left disney over creative differences.

it is a"legendary pictures" picture.

first time i heard of that was on the supes returns teaser.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
John Williamson said:

I had a friend over the other day. We ended up watching Men in Black, but she almost chose to watch my copy of The Sixth Sense. She said, "I've wanted to see this again after I found out that Bruce Willis was really dead." I looked at her for a second, thinking about what she had just said before I replied, "Wait, they tell you he's dead at the end of the movie!" I don't know if she didn't see the ending, or what, but the entire twist ending had gone completely over her head, and she didn't know what it was until a long while later.

FYI, the ending did come as a surprise to me. I had heard the movie was good, and that I should avoid reading anything about it, so I was able to avoid the news that there was a twist ending.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks