What's new

M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs" (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie and can't wait for the BD release. I also love The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable. and The Village. I'll take a pass on Wide Awake and Lady In The Water. 'Twill be interesting to see his forthcoming The Happening.

My only problem with Signs was ...that for folks living on a farm in rural PA, where most have at least hunting rifles, after seeing the aliens and knowing their motives, having children and a brother to protect, why did Mel, or perhaps Joaquin, not get ahold of a gun to defend the family? His good friend and deputy sheriff, Officer Paski (Cherry Jones) should at least have offered to drop off a shotgun to Mel. Yes, Mel was a man of the cloth but he had lost faith and didn't consider himself relevant in that area. Besides, I don't care who you are if someone's threatening you and yours you will do anything to protect them, including killing.

This should be superb in HD.

Brad

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Well, looks like an older transfer to me with sometimes obvious EE. Too bad. Without the EE I would really have liked it.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm at a loss, too. The transfer looked vastly superior to the SD, possibly the greatest Blu-ray release to date in illustrating the visual superiority between SD and Hi-Def (which isn't to say it's the best looking HD release on the market, to be clear).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I thought that the disc looked really good and that the sound was very good. When the dogs growled I cringed.

I can see why some folks don't like the film. When I saw it in the cinema, on the way home, the folks in the car with me all disliked it. I think I know why. The aliens come off as too stupid to have discovered space travel and come a zillion miles to earth. Folks expected more about the aliens...myself too.
That's the weakness of the film IMO.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The movie used the aliens just enough to convey its main underlying points. The movie wasn't supposed to be about aliens per se. Anymore use of the aliens
would have skewed what the movie was conveying IMO and would have turned the movie into something else all together.

I still need to pick this up - waiting for a sale.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I still haven't purchased it yet, but went out and rented it the other night because I just really wanted to see it for precisely the points above.

BTW, I thought the transfer was pretty good and a definite upgrade over its SD counterpart. I will add it to my collection eventually.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fortunately, it's great for me because I actually enjoyed my HT experience with this movie.

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I can´t remember any EE with this one. I also made the review quite recently..

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I hope you don't think I can't enjoy anything unless it's technically perfect.
I enjoy lots of horribly recorded CDs and the occasional bad DVD too. And most of my HD anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We're not disputing what you observed, but some of us didn't see it and are thankful for not seeing it, otherwise, it would have negatively affected our enjoyment of this disc as it obviously has done with you.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Ron Reda ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]Now I'm almost 100% sure that I'm in the minority to say that I loved "The Village"!!!

Make that the only two people who love The Village. I think most people were turned off to the film because they felt they were misled by the trailers - they made the film look like a monster movie. I can usually spot how a film is going to end fairly early but this thing blew me out of the water - totally unexpected ending. IMO this is Shyamalan's third best film after Signs and The Happening

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
I like this movie second to Sixth Sense, but do not care for any of his other movies. I haven't seen The Lady in the Water or The Happening. We started to watch TLITW, but the rental blu-ray stopped playing and we couldn't get it going again. Neither one of us liked what we saw to compel us to get a replacement.

Somebody has got to get it thru to Shyamalan that he can't act. Cameos ala Hitchcock are ok, enough with the acting already. Signs practically comes to a stand still while he's on screen. Still, even though I'm an atheist, I like this movie. Cherry Jones is excellent.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Signs is one of my favorite films, and the scene that Travis describes is just about the only thing that really bothers me about it, too. Still, it's an extraordinary, suspenseful film.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Interesting re-read of this thread. Signs is one of my faves, and I actually really like the scene Travis has issue with. I think it's a great scene, and well executed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks