What's new

Lucy Show DVD Box Sets? (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

I for one found the footage showing Lucy in rehearsal very revealing. Many of her co-stars have said she was very demanding of her co-workers, and you see it in the "Here's Lucy" extras.

I enjoyed the box set. and though the show may not be as funny to some, I pull it out from time to time to see the episodes included. I'd buy another volume of Here's Lucy, and would love to see "The Lucy Show" done well with great transfers from Paramount. Wake up Paramount... We love Lucy.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Oh almost forgot- Happy Birthday to Desi Arnaz Jr and "Little Ricky". Both were born today, January 19th, 1953. That makes them both 55 years old today!!!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Except that Little Ricky got miraculously older at the start of the 1956-57 (sixth) season of "I Love Lucy." He went from three and a half to six or so. Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux) was actually born on December 1, 1950.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Well to my surprise, RTN is currently airing the other six season episodes that come after the "Lucy Meets the Berles" one. I hope this means that every episode will be aired now. I'm really excited and happy to see more of season six. And I do have to admit, I'm starting to get anxious for season one because if this current rotation keeps up it will be right around the corner. Time shall tell how this will be played out. I have my fingers crossed. :)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
In case anyone cares: Last week I picked up the Shout "Here's Lucy" set for $9.99 at Jewel/Osco, in a cheap DVD rack. I hadn't cracked down for it before then. There are some cool extras. There are a couple CBS promos, which they claim they had to get from someone on ebaY...interestingly, they are from the same era as the promos on the MPI "Beverly Hillbillies" and "Petticoat Junction" sets. Anyway, if anyone who wants this doesn't have it yet, check it out...that was a pretty good deal.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I finished up watching that set a few months ago, and was surprised that Here's Lucy was better than its reputation would have you believe. (Of course, Here's Lucy Monday nights on CBS was my first exposure to Lucille Ball back when I was a preschooler, so there's a good bit of nostalgia in my assessment.) Plus, the presentation is a model of how to do TV on DVD -- solid transfers, commentaries and relevant extras.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
"Here's Lucy" was a great set -- one of the best TV sets I've ever seen -- and it broke my heart that there wasn't a Volume Two or Season Sets.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

I honestly don't think we will see any season sets of Here's Lucy. It hasn't done well in syndication and many people aren't that familiar with it. Also, it is generally seen in less favorable light when compared to the other Lucy sitcoms. We can always hope for season sets but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. On a positive note, I do think a volume two is quite possible given that there is enough demand for it. From what I'm aware of, volume one did extremely well and in fact exceeded the studios' expectations.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I would buy season sets of Here's Lucy. I liked the 'Best of' set that came out. Plus, Here's Lucy is the show that I watched when I was a kid. It too, was my first exposure to Lucy and I have very fond memories of it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Supposedly the reason there isn't a Here's Lucy V.2 is because Shout only licensed those 24 episodes, then the licensor jacked up the cost.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Actually I was very lucky yesterday. I wen to my local Sam Goody store and saw a Here's Lucy box "marked" used. It was still brand new in packaging!!! It was labeled 10 dollars and I snatched it up. Checking out the cashier realized the mistake but couldn't do anything about it because it was false advertising or something. I got a real deal!

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Not true. She THOUGHT that people only wanted to see her playing variations of the same character. She had actually been very well received in a TV Movie, The Stone Pillow, which she did before LWL. And as Golden Girls showed, audiences would accept older, familiar actresses in an intelligently written sitcom rather than redoing the same bits from 35 years prior.

As for her much ballyhooed "business acumen", she sold Desilu studios to Paramount right around the time Star Trek, Mission Impossible and Mannix were all taking off and becoming popular. Not exactly a brilliant decision.

The Here's Lucy set could have been better had they included more episodes without the celebrity guests. Those episodes are closer to variety show skits than sitcoms. At least without the big stars there was a semblance of character in the shows.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Even if Life With Lucy had been a success, it would have ended with her death anyway, and, other than Gale Gordon, since the supporting cast was pretty non-descript, that would have been it.

Well, hindsight is 20/20. And Star Trek wasn't considered a hit until it was syndicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks