What's new

"Lucy Show" (and public domain) questions (1 Viewer)

usrrdy

Auditioning
Real Name
usrrdy
Here is the problem I am not understanding. You talked about the 1964 date. All of the Lucy Shows that claim to be PD were first made after that. Here is the info I found on one of the episodes that are in questions: (Do you have any ideas on this? I would like to use a short 3-5 second clip of this episode on a video I am going to be making and selling.)

The Lucy Show Type of Work:
Motion picture or filmstrip
Registration Number / Date:
PA0000866861 / 1997-05-08
Date of Publication:
July 25, 1978
Date of Creation:
Title:
The Lucy Show : no. 132, Lucy meets the law / directed by Maury Thompson.
Copyright Note:
C.O. correspondence.
Description:
Videocassette (Betacam SP)
Number of similar titles:
Variant title:
The Lucy Show : no. 132
Other Title:
Lucy meets the law
Copyright Claimant:
Paramount Pictures Corporation
Authorship on Application:
Desilu Productions, Inc., employer for hire.
Names:
Maury Thompson
Paramount Pictures Corporation (17079 documents)
example document: Frasier
Desilu Productions, Inc. (541 documents)
example document: Just friends. By Desilu Productions, Inc. & Anso Productions, Inc

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/copyright/ttf-the-thompson-family-the-lucy-show-mountaintop-castle/#ixzz0yPLWPBRr

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Sean.S

Yeah, I would like to see a full release of "The Lucy Show" too. I have most of the public domain releases (some of the first DVDs I ever bought, so I didn't really know then what I know now) and it's funny that the picture quality in local syndication (Local WB affiliate would show I Love Lucy then, edited Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours under the "We Love Lucy" and the first season of The Lucy Show) was better than on these DVDs. I like the show alot--even the later years.

So I am guessing that local WB affiliate thought of season 1 of The Lucy Show as actually the 10th season of I Love Lucy? I bet that caused some confusion for the viewers ... they expected getting I Love Lucy but instead got The Lucy Show. I know years ago when Nick-at-Nite aired a black and white Lucy Show after an episode of I Love Lucy that I got very confused (please keep in mind that at the time it was my first exposure to both shows). The first question that came to my mind was ... where in the world is Ricky and Fred? Then came ... is this I Love Lucy without Ricky and Fred? And when Nick-at-Nite started airing the later seasons of The Lucy Show ... I was like, "why is Lucy's voice so low and gruff?" and "Is this the same Lucy that starred in I Love Lucy? If she is, then I simply can't believe it!"

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ron I wish you would comment on this "Public Domain" business. I have had herad the term from when home video started. I always thought it just was a cover for bootleg material. I know for years "I'ts A Wonderful Life" they called Public Domain until the rights went back to the studio. I also know about Congress and what they said back in the 80s. Congress has given the TV viewer the right to record

anything from broadcast TV. The one provison is that it is for your own use and not to be sold or even given away without copyright violation. The last sentence people seem to forget namely bootlegers. I just would like Public Domain defined. I had a friend on vacation and found old Lucy Shows Color on sale in a store at the resort he was staying a few years back. I just do not understand the term. I thought it ment bootleg.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
You could just do a Google search on the history of Public Domain. but here's a quickie view:

Public Domain means either the material was never copyrighted or had lapsed. It used to be that you had two copyright terms of 28 years in length. During the 28th year, you could file for renewal. Films and TV shows owned by studios with bad legal departments would forget to file the renewal. Thus these various things from Popeye cartoons to It's A Wonderful Life became Public Domain. It's a Wonderful Life was based on a short story that hadn't lost it's copyright - that's how Republic reclaimed it. Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain because the distributor changed it's title card and left off a copyright notice on the original print.

Originally Posted by Mark Collins

Ron I wish you would comment on this "Public Domain" business. I have had herad the term from when home video started. I always thought it just was a cover for bootleg material. I know for years "I'ts A Wonderful Life" they called Public Domain until the rights went back to the studio. I also know about Congress and what they said back in the 80s. Congress has given the TV viewer the right to record

anything from broadcast TV. The one provison is that it is for your own use and not to be sold or even given away without copyright violation. The last sentence people seem to forget namely bootlegers. I just would like Public Domain defined. I had a friend on vacation and found old Lucy Shows Color on sale in a store at the resort he was staying a few years back. I just do not understand the term. I thought it ment bootleg.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Corey thanks for the info. I just found it strange why the Lucy Show. I picked up 1 copy at retail store vhs Lucy and Jack Benny's vault. Bad video quality. I also picked up vhs Danny Thomas Show at Musicland Retail 4 copy set I think. I kept only 1 gave the rest away. I kept Lucy and Desi visit Danny. I also bought retail store again Lucy and Viv in the shower episode. I The episode was filmed after Danny visited the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour. Lucy and Ricky refer to the visit in the show. Video quality again left a lot to be desired. What about Goodtimes Video???? I bought Galactica 1980 the Return of Starbuck vhs years ago. I also have had friends tell me the Donna Reed Show is also out there and a few other 50s sitcoms. What also about buying American shows from other countries. I have seen tv series advertised. Look at Time Tunnel only from Japan on Lazor Disc was that legal. Song of the South is another one. Disney sold copies at Euro Disney in Paris DVDs. Why they would not release it here is beyond me. I even had a friend tell me you can pick up lots of old comedys in nationwide restrurant he has breakfast in!!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

It's a Wonderful Life was based on a short story that hadn't lost it's copyright - that's how Republic reclaimed it.

Thanks for the Insight.

I remember when this Movie as "Public Domain" You'd see it shown on just about every "Independant" TV Station during the Holidays, and VHS Copies were available EVERYWHERE, some for as little as a Buck! Then all of a sudden NBC Got "Exclusive" Rights and it was Copyrighted Again. I always thought Once PD always PD, so I wondered what the Heck Happened. Now I know.

IMO I feel the Copyright Laws need A MAJOR OVERHAUL. As they stand now, most TV Shows and Movies ever made (Including those many Studios REFUSE to release, such as Song of the South), will become Public Domain long after all of us are "Dust in the Wind" so to speak.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Hey Corey thanks for the info. I just found it strange why the Lucy Show. I picked up 1 copy at retail store vhs Lucy and Jack Benny's vault. Bad video quality. I also picked up vhs Danny Thomas Show at Musicland Retail 4 copy set I think. I kept only 1 gave the rest away. I kept Lucy and Desi visit Danny. I also bought retail store again Lucy and Viv in the shower episode. I The episode was filmed after Danny visited the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour. Lucy and Ricky refer to the visit in the show. Video quality again left a lot to be desired. What about Goodtimes Video???? I bought Galactica 1980 the Return of Starbuck vhs years ago. I also have had friends tell me the Donna Reed Show is also out there and a few other 50s sitcoms. What also about buying American shows from other countries. I have seen tv series advertised. Look at Time Tunnel only from Japan on Lazor Disc was that legal. Song of the South is another one. Disney sold copies at Euro Disney in Paris DVDs. Why they would not release it here is beyond me. I even had a friend tell me you can pick up lots of old comedys in nationwide restrurant he has breakfast in!!!

Simple fact shows go public domian is paperwork error or missing paperwork - THE LUCY SHOW changed hands from Desilu to CBS to Viacom to Paramount,and back to CBS. Same thing happened with other shows around the same 2-year period - THE ANDY GRIFITH SHOW,BEVERLY HILLBILLIES,PETTICOAT JUNCTION,THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW-MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY and THE DICK VAN DYKE. It's almost like a box or two of paperwork disapeared ust when rights/ownership was transfered These were CBS aired shows,produced by different producers, but all one time or another syndicated by Viacom.

The Donna Reed Show has been released offical,the first 3 seasons, plus there was a General Mills Cerial Give-A-Way a few years ago of a 2 show DVD!

American shows get released overseas all the time,even shows not released here, or unaltered versions as music-clearances/rights are different overseas. It's easy to get releases from overseas thanks to Amazon's overseas division,and a good outfit or two in Australia.

GOODTIMES had licencing agreements with MCA/Universal,Columbia Pictures and ORION/FILMWAYS/AIP (pre-MGM/UA merger) in The 1980s and Early 1990's

Yes, the Japanese laser disc releases of TIME TUNNEL,as well as VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and LOST IN SPACE were legal and from 20th Century Fox International. (The two GREEN HORNET compilation films were also released offical.)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes the Tv series mentioned by Denny were some of which my friend told me also Gunsomke the half hour eps. I have bought from Amazon USA Jamica Inn Dr Syn Life With Father to name a few where once again I would be better off recording my own. I also thought To Home The Bell Tolls was a terriable transfer which I received from the big river. I will give them credit they tried to push on me North West Passage a tv series which I never heard of not the movie which I wanted I was refunded all my money. I also see Captain Kangaroo is being offered and I suspect another bad transfer.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Yes the Tv series mentioned by Denny were some of which my friend told me also Gunsomke the half hour eps. I have bought from Amazon USA Jamica Inn Dr Syn Life With Father to name a few where once again I would be better off recording my own. I also thought To Home The Bell Tolls was a terriable transfer which I received from the big river. I will give them credit they tried to push on me North West Passage a tv series which I never heard of not the movie which I wanted I was refunded all my money. I also see Captain Kangaroo is being offered and I suspect another bad transfer.

Gunsmoke Half-hours were released on VHS by Columbia House before the DVD releases.

With Public Domain titles it's hit or miss if you don't know the track record of the company putting them out - in the old days you'd know if you got a VHS of a public domain film from VIDEO YESTERYEAR, you'd be getting a good transfer from a good print. Especially the silents.

Always check the descriptions and information on the listing for titles on Amazon, as there were similar releases. Clearly you misordered the wrong version when you wanted "Northwest Passage".

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

You could just do a Google search on the history of Public Domain. but here's a quickie view:

Public Domain means either the material was never copyrighted or had lapsed. It used to be that you had two copyright terms of 28 years in length. During the 28th year, you could file for renewal. Films and TV shows owned by studios with bad legal departments would forget to file the renewal. Thus these various things from Popeye cartoons to It's A Wonderful Life became Public Domain. It's a Wonderful Life was based on a short story that hadn't lost it's copyright - that's how Republic reclaimed it. Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain because the distributor changed it's title card and left off a copyright notice on the original print.

"Night of The Living Dead" is a good example of missing or incorrectly formed Copyright notice - This,and failure to fill a proper registration/deposit.

Then as I mentioned before, Clerical Error to fail to file - like those Four "3 Stooges" shorts - they were originally registered under the working titles - not the final release titles and no one caught it at Colpix! The Warner Brothers and Popeye Cartoons in the public domain were the ones that changed ownership with the AAP deals.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I purchased Mill Creek Entertainment's "Best of Lucy and Friends" in 2009 (released in 2007) and it contains all 30 Lucy Show episodes plus 6 episodes of Betty White's Life with Elizabeth series. The Jack Benny episode is 25:17 here so it appears uncut. The only cuts I've noticed so far are the writer/director credits in The Ring-a-Ding Ring and the Desilu logo at the end of The Efficiency Expert (Phil Silvers) which also has a different theme superimposed on the closing credits (the same music as on the TV Guide release which uses different opening/closing music on the 6 episodes and is missing the Desilu logo only on the Phil Silvers episode).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Now that the show is out legitimately, beautifully remastered, from CBS, why bother with garbage PD releases? That would be like choosing to eat out of the garbage instead of sitting down in a restaurant.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
So true. As soon as Season 6 is out, we can all throw those PD releases away.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
First, I was answering a question from a previous post. Second, If you read what I wrote, it's been almost 3 years since I bought it. Third, I had no intention of buying The Lucy Show at remastered prices, certainly not the last three years even if it had been available at the time I made the purchase which it wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks