What's new

LucasFilms says no Star Wars on BD or HD DVD in the near future. (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yep. I just noticed that last night. I added HBO HD from DirecTV this morning for $13. I think that is a pretty good deal for an interim 'solution'.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Please tell me they aren't charging $13 just for the HD band of HBO. Time Warner here gives you the full band of HBO with HBOHD for $11

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

We recorded the Friday night CineMax HD broadcast of the 2004 SE version of ANH and compared it with the DVD today. The HD version was more detailed (but only marginally so); and with all the macroblocking artifacts due to heavy compression on my cable system, I still prefer my SD-DVD.

I will say this: In either incarnation ANH looks better than it ever looked in the theater -- even including the 1997 re-release. I never thought I would see the day when I would be able to view this movie without generational grain and matte lines. (Well, except for the Tie Fighters in the "Escape from the Death Star" scene. BTW, I didn't see the matte lines in the HD version, but that could have something to do with the way I have the contrast and brightness setup for the HD-DVR source.)

*** EDIT *** We followed this up with a viewing of the Harryhausen "Clash of the Titans" DVD. Sheesh!! Talk about "generational grain"! It's the most recent Harryhausen movie - released four years after ANH - but the grain really mars the enjoyment of the movie. I wish somebody would hire the Lowry people to help spruce up the Harryhausen movies!!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

No, it was for all of the HBOs. I equate the full $13 cost to acquiring HD or HD-lite versions of the Star Wars saga b/c that's really the only reason I subscribed to HBO for the month.

JackKay

Second Unit
My bet is we won't see Star Wars until HiDef players are in 50+% of homes. Just not enough out there to justify a release.

JackKay

Second Unit
Yes it did come out on LaserDisk (twice) in the early days of Home Video. And they were expensive too. Remember VHS sell through and rental pricing? Now Home Video is bigger than the Box Office just on SD DVD, and with Star Wars recently out on DVD (twice) I don't see Lucas in a hurry to sell HD versions until the market for them expands proportionately.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Star Wars was actually released more than twice on laserdisc. There was the original pan and scan laserdisc release i believe in 1982. It was released at the same time on RCA's Discovision system. Then there was another repackaged release when all three original films were put out on laserdisc in 1985. There were standard play as well as extended play versions of the movies released at that time. All of the laserdisc releases up to this point were time compressed to bring them down under 2 hours.

Then there was a release with digital sound. Next there was the first widescreen release in 1989. Then there was the Definitive Edition boxed set. Then there was the THX release of each movie individually. Then there was the release of the Special Edition versions of the films. The last Star Wars laserdisc release that I know of was a Japanese pressing of Phantom Menace.

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Star Wars was relased in widescreenin stereo and then again in a THX release in widescreen in prologic surround. And a third time the SE was released in widescreen with Dolby Digital (AC-3) surround. And there would be a forth release or should I say 1a release if it was also available in pan and scan.

Then we have two releases on DVD and I am not sure how many times it was released and rereleased on VHS. I would only hope that Lucas does not wait to long to releases these films on a HD format. But judging by what he has done in the past Star Wars may not be in HD until 09' or 2010. At least I do not see repurchasing Star Wars as being as exspensive as buying the complete 007 collection in HD. :eek:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
You people are possessed. How can anyone sit through another viewing of these? I am totally burnt out and wouldn't be surprised if these never played in my home again.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Someone who lives near Lou needs to go by there and lightsaber his arse. :P :D

Gotta love Lou. But I know if and when the OT finds a home in HD, Lou WILL be in line to get it. ;)

A fact. :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I stayed up all night a while back when Cinemax was playing all 6 in HD back to back; it was a hoot, but I can wait four or five years for the HD discs. That viewing is going to last me a while.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Got to agree with you, on the original three only. (Not the reimaged versions). I would buy (and watch) them in a heartbeat.

As for the final 3 films,
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
. The thought of watching any of those makes my stomach quezy:D .

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have been watching the star wars marathon on HBO HD... I must say that the picture is very impressive.. I know that some fans are not happy with the prequels. I would bet they would agree that they look very nice in HD.
the image is so much sharper. you can see more details then on the standard dvd.
Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks