What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Part II Matthew Wood (3 Viewers)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Adam, Forgive me if this has already been asked, but did you get a chance to see any of the Vader/Luke duel in ESB and if so, was Vader's lightsaber still pink or did they go back and give it the white core with a red glow like it was originally supposed to look?

User897

Agent
Real Name
Arthur
I just hope that someday we can get the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 versions on Blu-ray (or whatever is the best format at the time). It is so frustrating when other directors are including the originals of their most famous films, including his old friend, Steven Spielberg. It's great to read that so much care has been taken, and aging original elements have been digitized, but we still require the original, award-winning films that we grew up with. God I wish George would STOP the tinkering! If the originals were made available on Blu-ray as a mailaway offer with POP's from the 9-disc set, I'd buy it without hesitation. I guess I'll just have to keep my AVCHD's of the OT handy.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Brent M

Adam,

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but did you get a chance to see any of the Vader/Luke duel in ESB and if so, was Vader's lightsaber still pink or did they go back and give it the white core with a red glow like it was originally supposed to look?

No, I didn't see that scene. I saw when Luke fought "himself" as Vader but I can't remember the specific lightsaber color. I was more engrossed in a deleted scene on a monitor right next to it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by none

You mentioned how your wife transcribed for you, that means there's possibly an audio recording of Matthew Wood playing clips from the new blu-ray mix. Any chance?
I have one or two (I stopped the recorder on the rest). Problem is I don't think it would be anywhere near a representation of the mix as I had it sitting on the LR speaker, and its not the best audio recorder (just a basic Olympus). I think its also safe to say Lucasfilm will have an issue with me posting their audio, especially when it doesn't do it justice.

Joe_G

Second Unit
Has Vader's voice been tweaked in ANH, so that it's more in line with the other films?

JohnKa

Auditioning
I just want to see screen caps from A New Hope to see if the image throughout the film has crushed blacks or not!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Adam, you were hinting to someone about something to do with a deleted scene relating somehow to the Greedo scene. I was hoping and making the leap that the "Jabba in the original SW" scene was cut. Even if you can't reveal what you were talking about, can you put me out of my misery and give a yes or no to that?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Q: "Was there any thought given to archiving previous tracks like the 6-track master from the 70mm prints or the 78 mono remix? Any thought given to putting them on the Blu-ray?" A: " Yes, we have those and they’ve all been digitized. I don’t know if they considered putting those on the Blu-ray. That might be more of a question for Marketing, it may be an issue of space. It’s funny because I play those other audio tracks, like the scene when R2 and C3PO have been left on Tatooine and they walk through the canyon. I just love that on the current mix, you can actually hear the quiet, when R2 is lonely, going through the canyon. I played the original mix and it’s FULL of hiss and totally brittle, so it’s fun now to hear it like George wanted it to really be, what was intended." The REAL reason that the 6-track 70mm mix or the '78 mono mix won't be on the blu-ray is because the original movie that belonged to those mixes isn't going to be included on the blu-ray, no?!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the wonderful write up and review!!! I am so excited about getting the SW set in September!!! I have been very impressed with what I have read so far from you and Bill Hunt!!!! Thank you! I saw the preview videos from SW.com on Sunday and again I am just really excited about this set! http://theforce.net/topstory/story/Bluray_Preview_SW_Film_Scenes_In_HD_140119.asp Make sure to adjust your settings to 720p!!! Another article here with possible deleted scenes info... http://theforce.net/topstory/story/Here_Are_All_The_SW_Bluray_Special_Features_140120.asp

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll be curious to see how many of the elements I remember from the mono mix have been able to live again in the new mix. There were some good moments like the Falcon dropping out of light speed or the TIE fighter they chase to the Death Star that never sounded quite right in subsequent mixes.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Adam, you were hinting to someone about something to do with a deleted scene relating somehow to the Greedo scene. I was hoping and making the leap that the "Jabba in the original SW" scene was cut. Even if you can't reveal what you were talking about, can you put me out of my misery and give a yes or no to that?

Gallandro got it with his post just after mine.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Kevin EK

I'll be curious to see how many of the elements I remember from the mono mix have been able to live again in the new mix. There were some good moments like the Falcon dropping out of light speed or the TIE fighter they chase to the Death Star that never sounded quite right in subsequent mixes.

The attack on the Deathstar from Episode IV sounded damn good.

just for fun here some inetrview from 2003! is it possible there are some hint from blueray? :D 1. IAN MCDIARMID INTERVIEW Q: Talking of tinkering, he’s gone back and done the Special Editions in the past. Has he ever talked to you about replacing Clive Revill’s performance with you? A: I don’t know about Clive. I’m sure that’s occurred to somebody, but we’d have to talk about that. The other thing about George is it’s also important for him not to pretend that we’re remaking the others now. There would be little lines on something that’s been driving him mad for years, and he’d be able to change that. But I don’t think he’ll do any radical changes. => Ian McDiarmid kinda confirms it, but he also says there won't be radical changes. So, I don't think you have to worry. 2. GEORGE LUCAS 1997 SE INTERVIEW Maltin: "Congratulations on the great success of the trilogy special editions at the worldwide box office and congratulations with the recent video release of the special editions. Before we begin to take on-line reader's questions, I would like to ask you one question about the trilogy: Is it now complete; exactly the way you want it?" Lucas: "No, for the simple reason that a film is always an unfinished project. There is never enough time or money to make a film exactly the way you want it. There's always something that you can do to make it look better. We only had $ 10 million dollars to touch up A New Hope and there are still some things about it and the other two films that I would like to see changed and a couple of scenes that I may still want to add." => GL still isn't pleased with ANH, he still wants to add scenes. He "only" had $ 10 million for ANH. Years ago, GL just wanted a ANH SE. That's all. But Fox asked for a trilogy SE. So, GL had to divide the money over the 3 movies. ANH still needed the most altering, but looked improved enough to be released again. 3. JOHN WILLIAMS “I am thrilled to have the chance to go back to something I composed in 1977 and be able to make the entire saga continuous theme-wise. Notably absent in the first movie is the Imperial March. Being able to insert that theme in the first movie will create a much stronger emotional flow throughout the Saga. After the release of Episode III George will enhance the original trilogy with additional scenes and special effects, adding my adjustments to the score this will seamlessly branch the entire Star Wars Saga into one massive romantic space opera. I think something of this magnitude has never been done before." => That's maybe the biggest proof we have. I don't think many people are against the adding of the Imperial March in ANH. 4. RICK MCCALLUM ...Now, while we can’t do anything about the three year delay, we can reveal why the finished products will certainly be worth the agonizing wait. As distressed as the rest of you by the absence of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi in our DVD cupboard, Empire Online collared Producer Rick McCallum at the Attack of The Clones premiere to find out exactly what’s holding Lucas back. ”Three years is a long time, but that’s how long it takes,” he said of the delayed transition. But what, you may ask, is taking up the time exactly? Well, never one to do things half-heartedly, Lucas isn’t happy with a DVD of the original edits, nor, it would seem, of the enhanced Special Editions. Having previously confessed to shooting a number of additional scenes for the original trilogy while filming Episode II and with many more to be lensed during the third prequel’s production, George has made it his mission to complete the story once and for all. And so, we asked, will this spanking new footage make its debut on the DVD releases when they finally arrive? “Absolutely,” confided McCallum with a conspiratorial grin. => McCallum: reliable or not? We'll see within some years!

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
And that sums up my feelings as to why George Lucas ISN'T a good director any longer: "There is never enough time or money to make a film exactly the way you want it." George Lucas has FAR more money, and control then most to get his vision onto the big screen. I don't see anyone else tinkering with films (whilst supressing the older 'cuts') to quite the same extent that he does. Lets face it - he made far better movies when he was constrained by budgets and control issues...

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Same here. I have yet to see any caps from ANH (that weren't illustrating some other point) but others have said that the crushed blacks have been fixed.

I think the crushed blacks are also responsible for taking out some of the detail in the starfields, especially in the opening shots.

Originally Posted by JohnKa

I just want to see screen caps from A New Hope to see if the image throughout the film has crushed blacks or not!
/t/314106/lucasfilm-on-star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-part-ii-matthew-wood#post_3843345

Some of you posting here must not have known that Ian McDiarmid was in the 2004 ESB release replacing the original Emperor in the ESB scene. He already did that over 7 years ago!

User897

Agent
Real Name
Arthur
What amazes me is the fact that Star Wars is the ONLY case in popular films where the originals are not available (thank you very little, George), but these Blu-rays are still going to shatter records when released. The whole "vote with you wallet" thing just doesn't apply here. I for one am going to keep watching the AVCHD's I got from originaltrilogy.com members (before I was banned, they're a touchy bunch over there). My only interest in this set is the OT bonus materials, which I will get to borrow from a friend in September. I understand and appreciate the level of care put into the restoration, but I just can't stand George's changes. We fell in love with that "80% completed movie", and I want it back. Especially for preservation reasons.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
User897 said:
What amazes me is the fact that Star Wars is the ONLY case in popular films where the originals are not available (thank you very little, George), but these Blu-rays are still going to shatter records when released.
I know - somewhat depressing isn't it when you consider that far lesser films get treated much better... I am also tired of hearing the argument, "but they're HIS films, he can do what he likes with them". Wrong! They may be HIS films legally, but MANY people gave their best to get these films made. And the general public - us! - financed the sequels from the money we collectively spent on the cinema tickets & merchandise. No, we don't own the films, but we enabled (financially) the sequels/prequels to get made. He acts like he only made the film for himself/his own enjoyment - Would it hurt him in the slightest to acknowledge that millions of people would like the CHOICE to see the original versions of the films? He's the ONLY obstacle in preventing this from happening. He doesn't have to like them - and that's fine. He has the Special-special-special-special (isn't the bluray the fourth major revision since/inclusive of the 1997 SE?) Editions which he prefers, and which are out there. What I HATE is the way he's controlling what we see. The man's just a stubborn control freak, and exceptionally self centered!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks