What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Hands on Report (2 Viewers)

none

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Were any other examples of small changes similar to the Wampa arm mentioned in this event? I hope the ESB trampoline head shot slipped through this blu-ray review process, it's a phun little moment. (~1:44:00 Luke and Vader are fighting, Luke's just blown hot gas at Vader who falls down a shaft in the Carbon freezing chamber. Luke then walks exit stage left and jumps down. The set must have been high up so Hamill falls onto a trampoline, and his head pops back up into the shot right before the cut to the next scene. The trampoline sound is there too.)

One change I didn't like was the removal of the Wolfman alien from the Cantina scene. I miss his glowing red eyes!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
eric scott richard said:
One change I didn't like was the removal of the Wolfman alien from the Cantina scene. I miss his glowing red eyes!
Not to mention it was kind of a nice shoutout to Wolfman Jack who appeared in American Graffiti.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
eric scott richard said:
Agreed x 2 - the new addition looked too comical/fake looking. Wolfman looked absolutelyfine there in the background with those eyes glowing dangerously away - had far more of the 'wretched hive of scum & villainy' feel to it then the "wretched hive of CGI & cartoonies" that proceeded it especially those damned "comedic" robots & jawas who destroy any suspense in the Mos Eisely introduction scenes... From Jedi onwards the creature design (Rancor aside!) got decidedly more 'muppety' (no offense to muppets btw - love 'em! - just not in Star Wars) and silly.

none

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Carlo Medina wrote: Originally Posted by eric scott richard One change I didn't like was the removal of the Wolfman alien from the Cantina scene. I miss his glowing red eyes! Not to mention it was kind of a nice shoutout to Wolfman Jack who appeared in American Graffiti.
"Darth Vader Meets The Wolfman" (1977)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
PRO-630HD said:
I read the thread overall regarding the release. Very little new about this. They are using dated 7 year old masters for epiodes 4-6 with minimal tweaks in terms of PQ. Lucasfilm states the masters were very ahead of thier time when done and bull$h!+! They were HD masters for dvd in 2004 that was 95% the norm at that time. Lowry did some cleanup, but there was little groundbreaking about them! Lowry had done a number of 4K transfers for dvd by that point in 2004. Using 1.9K elements when they could have used the 35mm elements from the 97 SE and should have been scanned in at 4K. The couple of minutes worth of digital effects for the SE could simply have been upconverted to 4K, no different than Spiderman 3. 1.9K masters for the original trilogy is pretty ridiculous for a bluray release of this magnitude in 2011!
I agree, I find this very disappointing. These will not look as good as they should, just a fact.

I doubt that was the sound of the trampoline, the sound you hear in almost never on-set sound. I am not even sure if there was even a trampoline there, maybe some padding, when you jump of something it is natural and safe to crouch some when you land, then stand up.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by johnSM
"I can't comment as talking about deleted scenes was the one restriction we were given"
Mmmmm perhaps we are getting the scenes that were cut/changed for the Special Editions in the originals afterall... (adopts prayer position ). I'd have no option but to buy these afterall if this were the case!
Don't get your hopes up. The main reason was because they have some exclusive promotional agreements that will use some of those clips, so they didn't want us stealing the thunder.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by none
Were any other examples of small changes similar to the Wampa arm mentioned in this event? I hope the ESB trampoline head shot slipped through this blu-ray review process, it's a phun little moment. (~1:44:00 Luke and Vader are fighting, Luke's just blown hot gas at Vader who falls down a shaft in the Carbon freezing chamber. Luke then walks exit stage left and jumps down. The set must have been high up so Hamill falls onto a trampoline, and his head pops back up into the shot right before the cut to the next scene. The trampoline sound is there too.)
Not specifically, just that they had made a lot of fixes.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Adam Gregorich said:
Don't get your hopes up.  The main reason was because they have some exclusive promotional agreements that will use some of those clips, so they didn't want us stealing the thunder.

Ah no worries - was clutching at straws here ;) It just makes no sense to me at all to include deleted scenes from the original trilogy, Making of docs about the original trilogy, and yet leave out the scenes that were changed/deleted... Surely they know people would love to see these included, as a second-best scenario to actually getting the original versions of the films as well as the (3) Special Edition variants. The advertising for this set even states, "own EVERY moment"... Ah well - great write ups anyway Adam; even if I'm not going to order this set, I'm enjoying your write ups on them all the same :) - John

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by johnSM
Ah no worries - was clutching at straws here
It just makes no sense to me at all to include deleted scenes from the original trilogy, Making of docs about the original trilogy, and yet leave out the scenes that were changed/deleted... Surely they know people would love to see these included, as a second-best scenario to actually getting the original versions of the films as well as the (3) Special Edition variants. The advertising for this set even states, "own EVERY moment"...
Ah well - great write ups anyway Adam; even if I'm not going to order this set, I'm enjoying your write ups on them all the same
- John
Maybe they don't want fans to use high definition deleted footage to create their own editions, i think thats a reason they sometimes make these clips such low quality.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Why isn't there an option in the poll for, "No, thank you. No star wars for me."?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Why is there no Option 5: "None, I'm not buying the set until the '77-'80-'83 versions of the Original Trilogy are included" since that seems to reason most people here cite as to why they won't be buying it? :confused:

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
eric scott richard said:
Ironically, he got his own action figure after he was erased from the movie!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by MielR
Why is there no Option 5: "None, I'm not buying the set until the '77-'80-'83 versions of the Original Trilogy are included" since that seems to reason most people here cite as to why they won't be buying it?
It's humorously (IMHO) implied in the 4D 30 disc release. 4D would be in the very distant future and 30 discs should be enough for the revised and original cuts along with all of the documentaries that didn't make it onto this release.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
douglas-b said:
Did they at least fix the "pink" lightsbers? Vaders lightsaber shouldn't be pink anymore.
All the sabres changed colour due to the background they were comped against

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I hate the way that Ms. Kayleen Walters of Lucasfilm explains away the look of the lightsabers on the botched 2004 DVDs as a fault of the format: "You know how things just look different when they go into HD or DVD, just by the nature of how the video treats the color space? A perfect example is in 2004 with the light sabers, how in the original trilogy all of the light sabers sort of dimmed, you lost that really hot, white core. Well, we went back and wanted to really be true to the original intention of the films, so we brightened up the light saber colors and we brought back that hot, white core that was original to the film." So Lucasfilm can do no wrong - it's the colourspace of DVD that resulted in the pastel lightsabers of the 2004 DVDs - what a load of absolute bull! That's called lying between one's teeth - So we only imagined the lightsabers looking fine ** on previous LD and VHS releases then... I wish Lucasfilm would man-up now and again and actually admit they made a mistake. They dig themselves a deeper pit by all this smoke & mirrors BS. Ditto the swapped surround channels on the 2004 DVD release (a fault which wasn't there for the foreign sound mixes on the same disc!). I guess that was a fault of the format now too, instead of a "deliberate creative decision" (Jim Ward, 2004). I just hope the lightsabers truly ARE fixed now - they look great in the ESB clips I've seen, apart from the one with Vader pointing his saber at Luke, where it looks purple... I hope that was just a fault of the online video. If not I'm sure that will be a colourspace issue too and it'll be HDs fault ;) - John ** Falcon training scene and certain shots from the Vader/Kenobi shot excluded of course - some have always looked dodgy.

plastercaster

Auditioning
Real Name
james kreis
I was very happy to see that TPM will have more scenery per frame. I can remember the scene where Darth Maul is fighting the two jedi and he uses the force to pick up some piece of metal and flinging it to the door control panel, it was an awesome scene. However, on the DVD you cannot see it. These scenes being available on the BLURAY are great! On a side note, the packaging is horrible! The artwork looks as if a ten year old painted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks