What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Hands on Report (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A quick skim of the thread and I'm uncertain what's coming to Blu-ray: Original originals? Revised originals? Or even more revised originals.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Steve Bragg
Some people insist these transfers have "CRUSHED BLACKS"? Does the HT picture quality enthusiasts all in here agree with that? Is it a somewhat subjective thing?
I keep reading posts like GeorgeC's:
"These movies have been so butchered and screwed up it's disgusting.
Crushed blacks, changed hues, brightened images, loss of detail, recolored lightsabers... It goes on and on.
It's like a chef compensating for flavor by continually adding different ingredients, but no matter how hard he tries the desired flavor is unattainable. Eventually he starts over
Lucas, just go back to the original sources and rescan them without all this tampering. It's not that hard."
I can't say since they are not out yet but that image example showing the lightsabers looks horrible, not because of the lightsabers but because they seem to have increased the brightness for the entire scene rather than just the lightsabers themselves, maybe the pic is just an example and isn't an accurate representation of what we will actually get.
With The Phantom Menace, even taking into account the JPEG high compression levels, that image looks to have a lot of noise reduction applied to it, i can almost hear the complaints a swelling before these films even get released, hell the "old" image they show of Phantom Menace looks more detailed than the new one, once again maybe i'm seeing things wrongly but this is my eyes and i will be the one paying for this boxset.
Its the films i want, not the extras, sure the deleted scenes will be watched but the truth is i hardly watch the extra content on blu ray, sometimes i listen to an audio commentary and watch the trailers and deleted scenes and maybe some bloopers but thats it, i also agree with a previous poster regarding the excellent documentary on Episode 1, what a shock omission from this set but i still have it on the dvd version so i guess for me i can live with it, for those who have never seen the films before though, its a bad omission.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
A quick skim of the thread and I'm uncertain what's coming to Blu-ray: Original originals? Revised originals? Or even more revised originals.
The reports are that they are the 2004 SE DVD HD masters with a facelift.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Ronald Epstein said:
Excellent report. Looking forward to the updates to come
over the next day(s).
Count me in as VERY disappointed with the artwork in the box.
Was that the best they could do? Other than that piece of
criticism, I am very optimistic about this release and will have
it in my hands day one.
Agreed the artwork is abysmal! Looks very childish/amateur - I'll never understand what Lucasfilm (and many studios today, for that matter) have against using the original movie posters! Now they WERE by classy artists, and would definitely inspire more pride of ownership than these... I cannot believe you don't even get proper holders for the discs to clip into - these blurays are going to get scuffed/scratched in no time at all! Very poor/cheap :rolleyes: I must take this chance to say a huge thank you to Adam for his in-depth reporting however - much appreciated. Unfortunately the information gleaned has convinced me that - deleted scenes aside - these are not the blurays I'm looking for. Once Lucas decides to remaster the original-originals, and put those along with the 70's mono & stereo mixes which - according to the sound design interview - have now been digitally archived, then I'll bite.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Adam Gregorich said:

Those were my thoughts going in, but having seen two of the three extras discs, I have done a 180.  They extras are well worth getting, especiallly if you will be getting all six films.
Thanks for the reply Adam maybe I should keep my Complete Edition pre-order sorry to be a grinch then but you have to understand how skeptical us loyal Star Wars fans have become after buying so many different editions ($250 LD boxed Set etc etc) over the years & always getting left with a compromise somewhere. Your interview with Matthew Wood & what Bill Hunt has said gives me more confidence in this set than ever before but I still expect a great disturbance in the force on certain choices LFL have made here the packaging in particular is very unpractical!!

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Adam Gregorich said:
Other issues we address: You know how things just look different when they go into HD or DVD, just by the nature of how the video treats the color space? A perfect example is in 2004 with the light sabers, how in the original trilogy all of the light sabers sort of dimmed, you lost that really hot, white core. Well, we went back and wanted to really be true to the original intention of the films, so we brightened up the light saber colors and we brought back that hot, white core that was original to the film.
In summary, it was all the DVD's fault that the lightsabers were missing their white cores because DVDs handle color space differently. If that's the case, why even bother going back and brightening up the light saber colors for the BluRay if it was just the fault of the DVD handling color space? What was stopping them from fixing these issues on the original DVD? It can't be because DVD can't do white for some reason, because the live-action and animated prequel era lightsabers look great on DVD. This statement makes the previous original trilogy DVDs come off as a real lazy effort because all of these issues they're fixing were only brought up because fans pointed them out. Makes me think if any of these corrections would have been made if no one brought it up, because those DVDs have been stated again and again that they reflect lucas' vision of Star Wars. I guess it's nice to know that Lucas will change his vision for the fans in a lot of areas except the one that truly matters to us.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn
I guess it's nice to know that Lucas will change his vision for the fans in a lot of areas except the one that truly matters to us.
Han shooting first, thats all i want from the original trilogy and i'll be so happy.
Chances of this happening are about the same as aliens invading the Earth this year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
The reports are that they are the 2004 SE DVD HD masters with a facelift.
Are those the same as the 1997+ theatrical releases?
I don't think I'm a crazy Star Wars fanboy -- but I think I'm only really interested in seeing the originals from my childhood, flaws and all. So I've not voted in the poll since there's no "I'm waiting for the original Original Trilogy" option.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
none said:
Ben Burke, the original sound designer, came back and was a consultant on key aspects of the restoration, we were really glad to bring him back.
Did you mean Ben Burtt? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Burtt ADMIN EDIT: This was fixed within two minutes of posting. It was mis-transcribed and I missed it while editing it. Sam Posten brought it to our attention and we had it fixed prior to any replies to the thread. Apologies to Mr. Burtt. -Adam
/Bow happy to help out ;) I also noted that HAN SHOOTS FIRST but you guys didn't back me up on that =p

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I'm curious about the shot of Han, Luke & Leia from the Bluray packaging: Familiar shot, unfamiliar background: https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/ I'm wondering whether this is potentially one of the new changes for the 2011 set - making the Trash Compactor levels of the Death Star look more grimy than the others? Or if this is merely a bit of artistic license with the packaging...

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Regarding the special features that where posted a few pages back Someone called Merlinpants over at Bluray.com has posted this: "Lucasfilms Chris Argyropoulos told me via e-mail that info that was posted is accurate but incomplete" So there is still more special features that we have not seen yet.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Alessandro
Regarding the special features that where posted a few pages back
Someone called Merlinpants over at Bluray.com has posted this:
"Lucasfilms Chris Argyropoulos told me via e-mail that info that was posted is accurate but incomplete"
So there is still more special features that we have not seen yet.
That was regarding a feature list that originated in Korea. Basically everything on that list is correct, but there is even more. This was posted in one of our other Star Wars Blu-ray threads. I can't comment as talking about deleted scenes was the one restriction we were given:
This is the supposed bonus discs
Episode I
• Archive Fly-Through • Naboo
•Interviews
Naboo Overview / Liam Neeson Interview
•Deleted/Extended Scenes
Trash-Talking Droids / The Battle Is Over / Anakin’s Return
•The Collection
360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries
•Concept Art Gallery
• Tatooine
•Interview
Tatooine Overview / Rick McCallum Interview(Podracers) / Rick McCallum Interview(Filming in Tunisia)
•Deleted/Extended Scenes:
Battle on the Boarding Ramp / Extended Podrace Wager
•The Collection
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Coruscant:
•Interviews:
Coruscant Overview / George Lucas on Preparing to Write Episode I – 1994
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Bail Organa of Alderaan
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
Episode II
• Coruscant:
•Interviews:
Coruscant Overview / Ewan McGregor Interview
Extended Speeder Chase / The Lost Twenty
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Naboo:
•Naboo Overview:
Anakin’s Nightmares / Anakin and Ruwee
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Tatooine
•Tatooine Overview:
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Geonosis:
•Interviews:
Geonosis Overview / Hayden Christensen Interview / Blue Screen Acting
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Raid on the Droid Control Ship and Extended Arena Fight
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
Episode 3
• Coruscant:
•Interviews:
Coruscant Overview / Samuel L. Jackson Interview
•Deleted/Extended Scenes
Elevator Antics / Escape Through the Hangar / Changes to the Constitution
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Utapau:
•Utapau Overview:
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Utapau Chase Animatics
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Mustafar:
•Interviews:
Mustafar Overview / Natalie Portman Interview
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Mustafar Duel Animatics / Mustafar Duel/Lava River Animatics
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Kashyyyk and Order 66:
•Kashyyyk and Order 66 Overview:
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Kashyyyk Attack and Order 66 Animatic / Anakin Kills Shaak Ti / Jedi Imposters
at the Temple / Senate Duel Animatic / Yoda Communes with Qui-Gon
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
SPECIAL FEATURES
Episode 4
• Archive Fly-Through:
• Tatooine:
•Interviews:
Tatooine Overview / Mark Hamil Interview / Anthony Daniels Interview
•Deleted/Extended Scenes: »
Tosche Station / Old Woman on Tatooine / Aunt Beru’s Blue Milk /
The Search for R2-D2 / Cantina Rough Cut / Stormtrooper Search
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Aboard the Death Star:
•Interviews:
Aboard the Death Star Overview / Carrie Fisher Interview
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Darth Vader Widens the Search
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• The Battle of Yavin:
•The Battle of Yavin Overview:
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Alternate Biggs and Luke Reunion
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
Episode 5´
• Hoth:
•Interviews:
Hoth Overview / George Lucas on Editing The Empire Strikes Back – 1979 /
Irvin Kershner Interview
Han and Leia: Extended Echo Base Argument / Luke’s Recovery / Luke and Leia:
Medical Center / Deleted Wampa Scenes / The Fate of General Veers
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Dagobah:
•Interviews:
Dagobah Overview / George Lucas on the Force - 2010
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Yoda’s Test
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Pursued by the Imperial Fleet:
•Pursued by the Imperial Fleet Overview:
Hiding in the Asteroid / Alternate Han and Leia Kiss
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Cloud City:
•Cloud City Overview:
Lobot’s Capture / Leia Tends to Luke
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
Episode 6
• Tatooine:
•Tatooine Overview:
Vader’s Arrival and Reaching Out to Luke / Tatooine Sandstorm
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Endor:
•Interviews:
Endor Overview / Harrison Ford Interview
•Deleted/Extended Scene:
Rebel Raid on the Bunker
•The Collection:
•Concept Art Gallery:
• Death Star Space Battle:
•Death Star Space Battle Overview
•Deleted/Extended Scenes
Jerjerrod’s Conflict / Battle of Endor: The Lost Rebels
•The Collection
•Concept Art Gallery
• Documentaries:
•The Making of Star Wars: (SD 49 minutes)
•The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX: (SD 48 minutes)
•Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi: (SD 48 minutes)
•Anatomy of a Dewback: (SD 26 minutes)
•Star Warriors: ( SD 84 minutes)
•Star Wars Tech: (HD, 46 minutes)
•A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (HD, 25 minutes)
• Star Wars Spoofs (HD, 91 minutes)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mike Wadkins said:
Han was the only one to shoot
Technically correct. I think "Han Shoots First" makes a good tagline for the movement to get this scene restored to its original version, but in reality Han was such a bada$$ that he got the drop on Greedo who couldn't even fire a shot off. Let's not forget the original scene of which this is an homage (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, where Angel Eyes shoots the guy through the table while they're eating) - thank goodness Leone isn't alive to go back and change that so that the other guy shoots first! :P

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
"I can't comment as talking about deleted scenes was the one restriction we were given" Mmmmm perhaps we are getting the scenes that were cut/changed for the Special Editions in the originals afterall... (adopts prayer position ;) ). I'd have no option but to buy these afterall if this were the case!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
There's an option missing from the poll:
  • None, Waiting on a proper HD restoration of the original versions of the original trilogy.
If that means I'll never buy this set again, so be it.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Joel Fontenot said:
There's an option missing from the poll:
  • None, Waiting on a proper HD restoration of the original versions of the original trilogy.
If that means I'll never buy this set again, so be it.
amen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks