1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowest ceiling height for HT ?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DanielH, Feb 4, 2004.

1. DanielH

DanielH Member

Going to be looking for a home soon, and one of my requirments is a finished basement for a HT. I was hoping for 2 rows of seating and i wanted ot know what you think the lowest ceiling height would be in order to have a good dedicated HT ? Thanks

2. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Well-Known Member

My theater will only have a 7' ceiling, I will have two rows so seating. I my original plan my seating riser was going to be 18", for obvious reasons the riser will only be 1' which will leave me 6'. It's a small trade off for a room that will be 30' long.

3. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Well-Known Member

I plan to build a basement with 9' ceilings. I too want two rows of seating so the second tier is about 1' higher. I wonder how much more it costs compared to the standard 8'?

4. Orlando

Orlando Well-Known Member

My basement now has a drop ceiling and because of floor supports and such. It is about 7' and all my speakers and projector and stuff are all hanging form the ceiling. My tall friends have to watch their head when they walk around but most of my family and friends are of the under 6' tall variety.

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Well-Known Member

I have 7' ceilings and I wouldn't want them any lower than that. I wish I had at least an extra foot or 2 though.

6. Josh~H

Josh~H Well-Known Member

I've been using my 7.5' tall HT, and it's been fine. If I didn't have an HVAC duct in front of my projector, I'd be able to have the screen up a bit higher, which I'd prefer. I'm also considering a second row of seating, and because of the projector location, I'll have to make the second row as short as possible. 8' would be better, 9' would be fantastic, but 7'-8' is fine if you're willing to be a bit creative.